Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 02:46 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times

Advertisements

The crickets were like a plague one year. I was ten or twelve
years old at the time. Downtown, you could hardly walk without them jumping on you, all over the storefronts, women screaming etc.
No exaggeration either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Mentioning the three wheel motorcycles brought back my earliest memories of San Antonio. I also remember those black smudge pots on the streets where work was being done. I remember one year the roads were covered with crickets both alive and dead. Does anyone else remember that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Yep,

They were model Markts allright, Also a Piggly Wiggly at
Pecan Valley and Goliad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
There was a grocery store on the corner of Goliad/Clark/Gevers(where the vacant Albertson's sits) and another one on Goliad Rd near Pecan Valley. I think they were a Model Market, but not sure. Also, there was an Orange Julius in McCreless mall just outside Montgomery Wards.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Default I remember the free drinking glasses from Shamrock,

I might have given the glasses ro your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I remember when Sigmor Shamrock would fill your tank for you, give Top Value trading stamps (double stamps on Wednesday), and give you a nice glass with a fill up. We had a large set of these glasses. They came in three sizes,

Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Default I remember SATEX,

The Gasoline "wars" of 1969 and 1970 when Shamrock and Fina
stations had regular leaded gas for 17 cents a gallon. Plus a free drinking glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
It's amazing how there used to be a gas station on almost every other corner. Sometimes all four corners of many intersections. I remember the photo you posted Bud! Love to have more of the old station photos like that. I remember an old station at Fitch and Pleasanton Road. The old tall glass cylinder pump sat there for many years after the station closed. I remember when stations also had hand pumps on the side of the bldg. You could get white gas , kerosene , coal oil , bulk oil ..
Yep, used to get free glasses and stamps at some. Maps were always free. "Let's go to the races" !! How many people listened to those not realizing the races had already been run. LOL .
Stamps..Texas Gold , Top Value , S&H Green.. Seems like all HEB's had a Brunner's and a Top Value or Texas Gold redemption Center next door.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:51 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Thanks for all your comments Huckster it is helping me get through this day of no football. I always put Fina in my VW but Shamrock gasoline was supposed to not be very good. I bought it anyway and if I remember right the glasses had a plastic bottom so they wouldn't leave rings on the furniture. My dad had this "gas station standard" Best to worst --Exxon (Humble, Enco) , Mobile, Texaco, Conoco, Gulf, Hancock, Fina, Shamrock, Key , Billups.. I probably forgot a few..

Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I might have given the glasses ro your family.
If you worked at the one at West Avenue near Arroya Vista, you did! That station is still open, is now a Valero, and seems to be doing great business!

There were three gas stations on West Ave about 2 blocks south; a Texaco, Enco, and Phillips 66. When the Texaco closed, the president of Columbia Bowling Balls leased it, and changed it to a self service station (self serve was RARE at the time). He hired me to run that station, and to oversee the operation of three others. We called it "Handy Gas". We were always at least a penny chepaer per gallon than the Shamrock up the street, but we had few customers. For a penny a gallon or so more, a person got his tank filled, stamps, and glasses at the Shamrock.

The Enco later became Exxon, and is now a floral shop. The Phillips 66 went away and became quite a few different businesses, and the Texaco/Handy Gas was torn down, and a convenience store with gas pumps is now on the site. They are currently selling Shell gasoline.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Outafocus..did you ever go to the Knothole Saloon..If you lived down there you must have..also the cliffs out by Lee Highschool..Arroya Vista would dead end right into that place

Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM

60 posts, read 208,380 times
Quote:
Outafocus..did you ever go to the Knothole Saloon..If you lived down there you must have..also the cliffs out by Lee Highschool..Arroya Vista would dead end right into that place
I spent my childhood riding my BMX bike in those trails... used to enter where Allena dead ended into them.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
I never made it to the Knothole Saloon, and when i was a kid, the bike trails I rode on were where West Ave. Elementary is now.

I lived on the 100 block of Storeywood.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Dwangle,

As I remember from before- you wrote that you are a veteran
of the Swizzle Stick and Sumthin Different Lounges. Used to go there
myself around 1970-75, myself and some friends. Lived right in the area too.
Quote:
Thanks for all your comments Huckster it is helping me get through this day of no football. I always put Fina in my VW but Shamrock gasoline was supposed to not be very good. I bought it anyway and if I remember right the glasses had a plastic bottom so they wouldn't leave rings on the furniture. My dad had this "gas station standard" Best to worst --Exxon (Humble, Enco) , Mobile, Texaco, Conoco, Gulf, Hancock, Fina, Shamrock, Key , Billups.. I probably forgot a few..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio