Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,987,290 times

Advertisements

My dad used to work at GLOBE. I can still remember how the groceries would be wheeled out on that noisey metal conveyer type thing!!!
Jordan almonds, warm cashews, or chocolate peanut clusters at the old sears candy dept. while mommy shopped!!!! That was a real treat for us.

Anyone remember that fish place called First Mate? You had to walk up a plank to place your order at the outside window?
Every pay day my daddy would treat us to either the LUBY's at Northstar mall or the Famous
Little red barn!!!!
Mommy told us 30 yrs later sometimes we only had 10 bucks a month left over after all the bills were paid....She said we were poor but us kids never knew that!!!

That reminds me... I will never forget a home made sign stapled on to a utility pole
Off of Cupples road. " A partmant for rent all bills pait"
Viva la Raza!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,738,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Anyone remember that fish place called First Mate? You had to walk up a plank to place your order at the outside window?
I remember the First Mate on Austin Highway. I think it used to be where Shipley's Doughnuts is presently located. There was also a First Mate in the east side on New Braunfels and Houston St. That one was near my grandmother's house. Great memories.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Default Does anybody remember John Igo?

I was looking at the results of the 2012 elections and they were showing the John Igo Library. I remember John Igo. He taught British Literature in the seventies. Everybody tried to get into his classes back then. I was a VW mechanic ( like everyone) and he had this old one that he had repaired at VOKSTOY. He was a good professor and kept everything interesting. A rarity for teachers at SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE. I remember asking him where the Shakespearinan actors got their tights. He told me they were just sewn on! I think it is great that they named a library after him

Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
He used to be a regular guest on Eliza Sunniland's radio show on KTSA until she was let go in the mid-00's.

He talked about linguistic pet peeves and frequently-misused words.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 AM

83 posts, read 214,979 times
I had him for British Lit at SAC in the early 90's. He was a good professor and I enjoyed his class, although he was a tough grader!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Oh "the sac" I remember that tall Language arts building in the early 90 's
I also remember waiting in long ass lines in the Science building to register for classes.
I can kick myself in the ass for spending so many semesters there and not finishing a degree!!!
I took a Spring Break Trip to N.Y.C with a group of Sac students. best spring break ever!!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I remember the First Mate on Austin Highway. I think it used to be where Shipley's Doughnuts is presently located. There was also a First Mate in the east side on New Braunfels and Houston St. That one was near my grandmother's house. Great memories.
Hey my grandma live off new braunfels closer to ft.sam

Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Default Computer talk

Somewhere around fifth grade (early sixties) they started this thing called New Math. I didn't really see the point back then but they were actually trying to make me understand Binary Code. They failed and it took me years and many video games to understand what they were talking about. I am a slow learner. Does anybody else remember this?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM

61 posts, read 119,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Thank you Mud! The sign was very tiny in the picture. We could only make out the 'bee" portion. I had no idea it was ever there.

While we're talking about Austin Hwy. Do you know the address of where the Tee Pee restaurant was? I have a pretty good idea, but there are several places that are open fields now.....I can picture it in my mind as a child, but can't remember exactly.

I remember going there to have a steak some time in the mid 70's . Not too sure on the date. Food wasnt that good and I dont really remember when the demolished the places.
SAFREAK

Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 PM

61 posts, read 119,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Anybody still here? Did I miss the evacuation notice?

Anybody remember going to Alamo Stadium to watch high school football games.? My brothers all went to Brackenridge and played in the marching band, so we went to all of the games. One of the features I remember was a guy who sold refreshments and walked the stands shouting " I got what I got and that's all I got." He could throw a bag of peanuts twenty yards and have it end up in your lap.
I grew up not too far from Alamo Stadium. I remember on Friday nights I would sit in my front yard and listen to the bands play at half time. My house was near the Pearl Brewery so that would give you an idea of how far away it was. I remember going to a lot of games at the stadium and when the games were over you would be able to exit at a back street that would take you up over and around the back side and come out down by the zoo entrance. A steep winding road that was marked off my stone pillars. Does anybody remember the name of the street ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio