Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,073,867 times

Advertisements

Got a question. Was the Austin Hwy Flea Market where Walmart is now? and was there a Shakeys Pizza across from it? I faintly remember this cause my parents use to drag me to the flea market. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
During a phone conversation with Mum last night I was told the vast majority of the Northern Hills Shopping Center at Thousand Oaks and Nacogdoches has been demolished. The only portion being saved is that with Gold's Gym. Also being torn down is half of another strip center fronting Nacogdoches. What's going in there? Yet another Wal-Mart...

I've spent lots of time at Northern Hills thru the years. Original tenants included Food City, a chain drug store (Sommers, later Revco), TG&Y, and Western Auto. Food City later became Warehouse Grocery, TG&Y became Thrift Town years later, Revco went out of business, etc.

Info on the new development can be found at the following link:

Northern Hills Wal-Mart

Macgrad89
Yeah Walmart taking up residence there, I wanted to ask you do you know what year TG&Y and Revco closed?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
Got a question. Was the Austin Hwy Flea Market where Walmart is now? and was there a Shakeys Pizza across from it? I faintly remember this cause my parents use to drag me to the flea market. thanks
Yes, on both

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
I remember the Shakey's and the flea market, oh the good old days.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
pizza joints??

WalMart??

*flea* markets

gimme a break....

as a teenager in the 1960s I worked at the San Antonio Zoo.

I had the Gorillas - Chimpanzees - Orangutans - Grizzly Bears -
Himalayan Sun Bears - Polar Bears - Giraffes and the Racoons.

lotsa stories -

ever see anteaters procreating?? hole nother story right and I do mean right there

ever see a giraffe born?? If I remember correctly, the baby dropped out at 7 foot tall.

ever seen a Polar Bear catch and eat a rat??

how bout a Himalayan Sun Bear suckin pot smoke in through two big old wet nostrils??
.............yeah I already said I was a teenager.

dingo dogs fighting to the death??

ever seen one of your friends impaled thorugh his thigh on the spiral horn of a 500 lb Greater Kudu dancing around?

3 Chimps near killed me one winter day.

Butt, here are the pertinent questions -

anyone remember Juba and Mimo??

or Monkey Island??

Monkey Island was really outtasite

goats and monkeys

the monkeys rode around on the goats backs
(what else ya gonna do when you're a monkey in a zoo??)
(actually I have a lotta more monkey stories)

13th Floor Elevators wrote a song about the island (and yes it was right in the middle of the zoo).

this song came about around this same time period
and, I assume, acid *dabbling*.

no, actually Powell St John wrote it the Elevators took it far far away. into the realm of psychedelia...
13th Floor Elevators - Monkey Island - YouTube

Last edited by *mud*; 08-13-2013 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 12:35 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
That there's some funny stuff Mud! Well, except for the injuries and such it was hilarious picturing some of it. That anteater procreating has me thinking. I've been involved raising and caring for Eland, Gemsbok, Kudu and Cape buffalo. They're all pretty dangerous. I remember Monkey Island well.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:08 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
pizza joints??

WalMart??

*flea* markets

gimme a break....

as a teenager in the 1960s I worked at the San Antonio Zoo.

I had the Gorillas - Chimpanzees - Orangutans - Grizzly Bears -
Himalayan Sun Bears - Polar Bears - Giraffes and the Racoons.

lotsa stories -

ever see anteaters procreating?? hole nother story right and I do mean right there

ever see a giraffe born?? If I remember correctly, the baby dropped out at 7 foot tall.

ever seen a Polar Bear catch and eat a rat??

how bout a Himalayan Sun Bear suckin pot smoke in through two big old wet nostrils??
.............yeah I already said I was a teenager.

dingo dogs fighting to the death??

ever seen one of your friends impaled thorugh his thigh on the spiral horn of a 500 lb Greater Kudu dancing around?

3 Chimps near killed me one winter day.

Butt, here are the pertinent questions -

anyone remember Juba and Mimo??

or Monkey Island??

Gone But Not Quite Forgotten

Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM

91 posts, read 323,678 times
Default TG&Y, Revco at Northern Hills

TG&Y (a.k.a. Turtles, Girdles, and Yo-yos) started to falter around the late 70s and early 80s and was then sold to McCrory Stores in 1986. McCrory closed 200 of the 700+ TG&Y stores around 1987 but I just don't remember when the Northern Hills store shut down. The last TG&Y I remember seeing in SA was at South Park Mall in the early-to-mid 90s. McCrory went bankrupt in 2001-2002 and is now out of business, taking TG&Y with it.

Revco filed for bankruptcy in 1988 and sold all their stores west of the Mississippi. This was around the time I started college and left SA for A&M. For some reason I thought that particular Revco might have become a Drug Emporium. It wasn't ever an Eckerd.

Macgrad89

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Was Juba the one noted for his throwing.....stuff? And yes, monkey island was reason enough just to go to the zoo. That was a non-stop rodeo. A few of my running buds would throw the monkeys lite cigarettes. They'd start to smoke them and then the fight would start. Seems sharing gets a little too much when there are so many. I also did the elephant rides. I don't remember the elephants name but one was just a sweetheart and it was a tragedy when she died. Lots of great memories at the zoo. Does anybody remember the speedboat rides on the river at the zoo? We used to take my Chevy convertible, load it with girls and go to the park. I'd park the car on the bridge that the water goes across and have the girls with sponges in hand bail out and wash the car in less than a minute. I got a clean car, mostly, and they got the thrill of washing a car in a river. City girls!!! Played baseball there, drove off of Sunken Gardens pulling up to a danger cliff sign. Who'd a thunk it that the sign at street level was on a 15 foot pole? Took several other teens there to help pick up the front end of that convertible and put it back on asphalt. Sunken Gardens is where the teens went for a little smoochie time. Then they put in the Sky Ride. I never liked that thing but the girls loved it. There was the horse rides there too. A lot of the horses would try to clean you off by going under low branches on the trees. I learned to ride when I was old enough to walk so it didn't happen to me but a few friends got to walk back to the stables. Yep, love the zoo. But it's a far cry from what it once was. Too bad.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
That there's some funny stuff Mud! Well, except for the injuries and such it was hilarious picturing some of it. That anteater procreating has me thinking. I've been involved raising and caring for Eland, Gemsbok, Kudu and Cape buffalo. They're all pretty dangerous. I remember Monkey Island well.
where were you working with the exotics??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post

Gone But Not Quite Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Was Juba the one noted for his throwing.....stuff? And yes, monkey island was reason enough just to go to the zoo. That was a non-stop rodeo. A few of my running buds would throw the monkeys lite cigarettes. They'd start to smoke them and then the fight would start. Seems sharing gets a little too much when there are so many. I also did the elephant rides. I don't remember the elephants name but one was just a sweetheart and it was a tragedy when she died. Lots of great memories at the zoo. Does anybody remember the speedboat rides on the river at the zoo? We used to take my Chevy convertible, load it with girls and go to the park. I'd park the car on the bridge that the water goes across and have the girls with sponges in hand bail out and wash the car in less than a minute. I got a clean car, mostly, and they got the thrill of washing a car in a river. City girls!!! Played baseball there, drove off of Sunken Gardens pulling up to a danger cliff sign. Who'd a thunk it that the sign at street level was on a 15 foot pole? Took several other teens there to help pick up the front end of that convertible and put it back on asphalt. Sunken Gardens is where the teens went for a little smoochie time. Then they put in the Sky Ride. I never liked that thing but the girls loved it. There was the horse rides there too. A lot of the horses would try to clean you off by going under low branches on the trees. I learned to ride when I was old enough to walk so it didn't happen to me but a few friends got to walk back to the stables. Yep, love the zoo. But it's a far cry from what it once was. Too bad.
I remember a lot of that stuff Trap.
especially the lit cigarettes. pack of Camels was fifteen cents back then.
gas was .18. tank up the sickle with 100 octane, pay with a dollar bill, and get change back.

there was an elephant named Jenny and another named Motte.

bout a half dozen of my friends were working at the zoo.

yeah Juba an humongus beast was one of the ones that threw *stuff*.

one of my duties was the ape house (2 Lowland Gorillas. 3 Chimpanzees. 2 Orangutans)

my first day, a friend was showing me the routine in the service area.
I see a piece of plywood with a handle on one side.
penciled in on the other side, said "HI".

I asked my friend what's the deal??

he told me that you needed to hold that up when you walked past Juba's cage.
but, he said "Juba likes me", and walked in front of Juba's cage.

yep. Juba threw a wad of *stuff* right in the center of his chest.

every morning I fed Juba 5 bushel baskets of fruit and vegetables.

I always liked to throw Juba an orange first.

he would pop the orange into his mouth, roll it around a few times and spit out the peel.

plenty more stories from the zoo.

the 60s, what a trip..........

Juba and I were born in 49, so we were teenagers at the time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio