Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 07:42 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times

Advertisements

Guess there's no profit in Italian around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I am a happy Westfall Library patron since we moved inside the loop in March. I love it - it's a nice library and the librarians are awesome. It's also nearly always busy, which is so nice to see. It may not be the mighty mighty Cody branch, but it's hoppin' every time I go in there (which is a lot - at least twice a week).

I've only lived in SA for 13 years, but I sorely miss Bengiamino's which was a wonderful Italian restaurant on Babcock near Huebner. It was only open about two years. It was incredibly good. And of course now there's a Mexican restaurant there. [sarcasm]Because SA needed another Mexican place, since there are TONS of really good Italian restaurants.[/sarcasm]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
There are really not that many nice Mexican Restaurants. There are lots and lots of Taco places that sell good Mexican food but there are also lots and lots of Pizza places that sell good Italian dishes.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM

464 posts, read 803,843 times
Quote:
Milano's (on Wurzbach and the location on Nacogdoches) are generally quite good for San Antonio; not the typical Olive Garden-style facsimile of Italian cuisine.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:38 PM

91 posts, read 323,600 times
If Fratelli's hadn't messed with the good thing they had, they'd still be around now. I only had the chance to go there once and it was really good. Boccone's was good too before Al DiLiberto sold it and it fell to pieces. The Baby Hueys were GOOD.

Macgrad89

Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
we enjoyed the new El Chaparrel on Redland Road this weekend. Nice place.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 7,351 times
I am about halfway through the first GBNF thread and saw something that sparked my interest. It was somewhere around post 325 that somebody had mentioned a well under the Majestic having to be capped to prevent flooding. I used to deliver supplies and I remember we went to a house in Olmos Park on the corner of Torcido and Grant (I believe) that mentioned they had a blocked off corridor in their basement. I know it was an old doctor that lived there. They said it went all the way to the majestic and that the people would use this to go downtown. In their garage they had a SAWS manhole as well. Does anybody know anything about these? very interesting

Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM

62 posts, read 149,140 times
Quote:
can remember when the guy jumped off of the Tower of the Americas though. The diners in the restaurant saw the guy drop by on his way down. The bars were narrowed so skinny people could not fit between them after that.
I think that was in the early seventies.
March 15, 1970: Margarito Guzman becomes the first person to commit suicide by jumping from the Tower of the Americas.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchpoo View Post
I am about halfway through the first GBNF thread and saw something that sparked my interest. It was somewhere around post 325 that somebody had mentioned a well under the Majestic having to be capped to prevent flooding. I used to deliver supplies and I remember we went to a house in Olmos Park on the corner of Torcido and Grant (I believe) that mentioned they had a blocked off corridor in their basement. I know it was an old doctor that lived there. They said it went all the way to the majestic and that the people would use this to go downtown. In their garage they had a SAWS manhole as well. Does anybody know anything about these? very interesting

I have heard numerous tunnel stories but not this one. I personnally have never seen any tunnel connecting anything to anything. One tunnel story that I heard that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the one in King William that connects Charles Butt's house to the HEB main offices in the old Armoury. My sister told me this story but I don't even know which house Charles Butt owns.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
A tunnel from the Majestic Theater to Olmos Park is extremely unlikely. Why on earth would there be? Weren't there two jumpers from the Tower?? One hit one of the light pedestals.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Tower Jumpers,

I don't remember there being two suicides from the Tower but I
do remember the one that hit the spotlight below.
The memory is an unpleasant one. I cannot imagine the Psych. pain
to drive oneself do something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
A tunnel from the Majestic Theater to Olmos Park is extremely unlikely. Why on earth would there be? Weren't there two jumpers from the Tower?? One hit one of the light pedestals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio