Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 12:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Fatman's was kinda a pink building wasn't it???
Seems like it was .It was two story and sat way back deep in the lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
Dana was older - Denise and I are the same age. No, I'm sure it wasn't Buddie's. It (the meat place) was at the red light at SW Military and Commercial. Dared my younger sister to make faces back at the deer while Dad was putting a deer in storage. Busy streets that day, Mom caught her and realized people, lots of people, saw her. Got the snot whipped out of us both!!!! Lone Star Ice House was at the corner of Hutchins and Pleasanton.
You could be right I can't remember before Mother's or a tire shop or something like that !! The Lone Star at that corner sat caddy corner I think,it's still there !! The bldg. anyway! Remember our short lived Dairy Queen just north of Hutchins on Pleasanton? I'd forgotten Dana's sister Denise's name! Dana married a friend of our's Scott had 1 child only I believe divorced later!! I'd like to hear more about the guy that lived in the Rock bldg. across Hutchins from Terrell Wells Elem. Remember Terrell Wells swimming Pool ~~ Sulfur fed???

Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 PM

45 posts, read 149,649 times
Happy New Year everyone !!!!! Have fun and be safe. Talk to ya'll tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 PM

139 posts, read 504,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post

You could be right I can't remember before Mother's or a tire shop or something like that !! The Lone Star at that corner sat caddy corner I think,it's still there !! The bldg. anyway! Remember our short lived Dairy Queen just north of Hutchins on Pleasanton? I'd forgotten Dana's sister Denise's name! Dana married a friend of our's Scott had 1 child only I believe divorced later!! I'd like to hear more about the guy that lived in the Rock bldg. across Hutchins from Terrell Wells Elem. Remember Terrell Wells swimming Pool ~~ Sulfur fed???
Bingo on the Fatman's I was to young to remember the Sulfur Fed, Which led to the Nickmane Terrible Smells. My Dad Regals me tells of it though. Said it had a Swing Set over it and you could jump out of the Swings into the water. He said the Pools were huge.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
Happy New Year everyone !!!!! Have fun and be safe. Talk to ya'll tomorrow.
Same to you , Happy New Years or Old Years

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Thanks bud, That is real cool. Have you ever fond pictures of McCrelles Mall Sign The Big M With the C?????
No pictures, yet. Though it is hard as this place was known as McCreless Shopping City, McCreless City, and McCreless Mall. Some spellings even have it as McReless. So I'll keep looking. Found out some fascinating stuff about this place. Growing up I was more a North Star, Wonderland, Windsor and Ingram fan, did not get to go to McCreless that much.

I did find a few items that might interest you: The original newspaper announcement for McCreless Shopping City with a list of the original stores, some ads that were featured as mini-newspapers in the SA Light, and a fairly decent pictiure of the theaters when they first opened up there. Glad I could post these as a New Year's gift before midnight. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mc1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mc2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 69145458.pdf (257.7 KB, 1066 views)
File Type: pdf 78617011.pdf (163.3 KB, 363 views)
File Type: pdf 79529251.pdf (264.4 KB, 427 views)

Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
No pictures, yet. Though it is hard as this place was known as McCreless Shopping City, McCreless City, and McCreless Mall. Some spellings even have it as McReless. So I'll keep looking. Found out some fascinating stuff about this place. Growing up I was more a North Star, Wonderland, Windsor and Ingram fan, did not get to go to McCreless that much.

I did find a few items that might interest you: The original newspaper announcement for McCreless Shopping City with a list of the original stores, some ads that were featured as mini-newspapers in the SA Light, and a fairly decent pictiure of the theaters when they first opened up there. Glad I could post these as a New Year's gift before midnight. Enjoy!
Thanks. Those are real Cool. Happy New Years. HHW

Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
GW you are a great resource on this thread, thanks for the pic and the other great ones you have posted.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:00 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
GW you are a great resource on this thread, thanks for the pic and the other great ones you have posted.

Thank you!
SA History has turned into a fun hobby for me. I found this thread just looking for info on the old Whopper Burger and GW Junior's, hence the name. I never thought how much time I would enjoyably devote to this pursuit. My wife would probably call it an obsession. But I'm going to keep doing it as long as I can.

I am also glad I was able to drag Primo to this forum. Since we started playing a game of "remember this?" in a cubeville a long time ago in a telcom company far, far, away (okay, the medical center ), this thread has been a lot of fun for all of us. I look forward to what history we discover in 2009.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Its funny GW I also stumbled onto this thread almost 2 yrs ago and enjoy checking it every single day. You, Primo, and others who have been on this thread for awhile have made it so interesting and the pics are so awesome. I also think I am obsessed with this thread but try not to post like 20 times in a day that would be too much. But thanks again and have a great new years.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:27 PM

45 posts, read 149,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post

I think being sulfur fed was "before my time". I did go swimming there alot. Then I wonder - I remember getting really bad headaches and puking my guts out when I got home from the pool. I do know I am allergic to sulfa drugs . As for the old rock at the corner by Terrell Wells Junior High - The last name of the family that lived there was Berry. Mr. Berry had a little store on Commercial. If you leave the swimming pool and go to the red light at Commercial and Hutchins and go right, Mr. Berry's store was on the left. It was a long building (I think the VFW was there, too). Don't know if the building is still there. The Berry's had a daughter my age but for the life of me I can't remember her name. Older kids, too. My grandfather and Mr. Berry we pretty good friends. Pa would go up to the store and visit with him regularly. I would tag along. Had a treasure trove of 10 cent toys. Anyone remember the little red plastic bowl with a packet of powder you mixed with water then put the little squares of paper in and they "developed" into pictures? Or the wonderful glass bead necklaces you bought at Ben Franklin by Piggly Wiggly for 20 cents? Or (here's a good one you had to be there to know about it) the tree by the backstop at the rear of Vestal Elementary playground the had a big hollow area in the center? Or the Vestal Halloween carnivals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio