Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM

45 posts, read 149,683 times

Advertisements

How I miss the old neighborhood - like it was then. Mostly elderly. I remember walking to Vestal Elementary - parents/grandparents biggest worry was us crossing Hutchins. So different now but the memories are great!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 PM

139 posts, read 504,783 times
Down Pleasenton past Weir Street, Right before the Church, Was where My Grandpa and Grandmas House Was. Yep right on Pleasenton Road. A Circle K Was built right next to it, in the 70's. IT is some different Ice House now. When My Grandma Passed away My Grandpa sold it to the Church. They Took the House and moved it somewhere else, but My Grandpas Garage is still there after all this time. I lived on West Petaluma, Tell 84.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 PM

Granny and Pa lived on Formosa. We moved down here in June '76. Granny died in '89 and right after my parents sold the property. As soon as it was paid for the house was demolished and apartments were built (it was a 1 acre lot). Guess they packed 'em in like sardines!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,548,411 times
I haven't written here in awhile but the thing I find so interesting is that we were all doing pretty much the same thing no matter where we lived in San Antonio. Domino bars, beer joints, same all over town. I always thought it would be fun to visit domino bars and windowless bars still in business around town. Maybe wouldn't be a safe thing to do now--I hate to think that. I go to the Barlite area now because of all the medical centers and it is fun to look up some of the places talked about on this tread even though I never grew up in this area. I did deliver paper to some of the print shops in the early 70's so I know how to get around. I went to Griffs. It was good. I used to go to the one on FRED Road. I have been trying to go to the record store (flip side?) but when I get the nerve to go in,they are closed and when they are open I just can't go in! The only thing I ever bought in those places was screens and rolling papers and I havent smoked pot in twenty years. The Southwest Military Drive area has the old San Antonio feel --that something --I look for it in other places but it's hard to find and I think it is all going away. When I drive around San Antonio now (thanks to this thread) I see two San Antonio's. First--the new one all busy and then the one underneath still there even though you have to look for it.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:37 PM

A cry for help. LOL Does anyone Have a picture of First Mate ? or the old MCrelesse Mall Sign Big M nd C?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Flip Side - loved it, loved it, loved it. What was the ice house - cold storage that was located at the corner of Commercial and SW Military? Now I think it's a tire & rim store. It had a picture of a deer making an awful face on the Commercial side. Dunkin' Donuts when it was where River City Donuts is now. Anyone remember a fast food mexican resturant located down by LaFaria on the opposite side of the street - right by the light - Ole Toro???????

Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,548,411 times
There is something else that I think belongs on this thread ..Jack Kerouac wrote about coming into San Antonio down Fredricksburg road in his book " On The Road" Written in the fifties. It is not very accurate and I think it is totally fabricated but still worth reading --just for the fun of it!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 AM

192 posts, read 595,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Those nifty cheese wafers at Scrivener's Tea Room, were to die for. Thank goodness my MIL has the recipe, and makes me a coffee can full, for Christmas every year. I have the recipe, but still can't make them nice & round like hers!
Sweetie Pie, I sure would love a copy of that recipe!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Man it's the little things. The Piggley Wiggley on Plesanton Rd, Right Behind Bellaire Elementary, had a Ben Franklen, Right next to it. You could go through a tiny Mall Entrance right from Piggley Wiggley. I wish I could see it one more time, Especially At Halloween Time. How about the Giant GI Joe Display, in the 70's, at Kiddy City. Would like to have some Pizza from Pizza Hut and Pizza Inn, When it was good. Some of the great Fish from the Flame. Would love to go to Burger Chef on the way to McCrelles Mall to shop at the Toy Box. Pick up a few Comics at that Book Store in the Middle of the Mall. Then Pick up some Football cards at the Jiffie Mart. Then Hop on over to Maw Maw"s house on Channing. Damn I wish, I had a Time Machine

Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 PM

hhay wolfman - do you remember the local TV show that Moe Bandy use to be on regularly? When he was just Uncle Moe? Thought of another - do you remember Maurice - he use to ride a bicycle to Piggley Wiggley on Pleasanton and play his guitar by the front doors? I always felt soooo sorry for him. If he was there you could bet I would get him some kind of snack when Granny and I shopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio