Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,158,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windswept View Post
Ok I've been reading this for days now and its so amazing and I want to post too..
Any other Southsiders out there?
Glad you're enjoying the thread....I believe satx56 grew up around the Harlandale area...he should be able to remember some more areas...he's actually started his own thread about the Harlandale area from the 50s-70s....

Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 AM

57 posts, read 219,558 times
Is it true that more schools will soon be "Gone but not forgotten?"

Old 01-09-2009, 05:54 AM

64 posts, read 431,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
You can even take a virtual ride of it on You Tube!

YouTube - Knoebels Phoenix - 2007
Thanks, Whopper, for posting that link. It's almost as good as actually being there on the Rocket at Playland.

I wonder if there are any links showing a ride on the Little Dipper. All I can find is this photo:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1195/764021797_b0d9b352f2.jpg?v=0

Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,734 times
Default GWHopper

In honor and appreciate of GWhopper, I would like to suggest all members of GBNF in SA to make the effort to go eat at your local Murf's Better Burger or Burger Boy at various locations around town....it brings back memories of old school Whopper Burger. They really are the best burgers in town. I eat at Burger Boy on St. Mary's every monday. Take a younger family member there..and say...this is where you ate burgers as a child and not McDonalds. And lets all raise our orange freezie in a toast to all his efforts.

I am not sure why one is called Burger Boy..they have the "Bates Special" too. Probably something similar to Taco Cabana and Sobrero Rosa.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 AM

139 posts, read 504,719 times
Quote:
Ok I've been reading this for days now and its so amazing and I want to post too...I hope this stuff hasn't been posted yet but with so many pages and the need to do other things I'm going for it...
I spent most of my youth on the south side but I have been able to enjoy all the other posts nevertheless...
Alamo Dragway...Used to help out a couple friends,Steve Surber (sp) had a Mustang called Gang green...James Golick? with a black Drag Bike...
Pan American Speedway...
Flipside Records...Oh the smell of those incence...And all the Parafenaila (sp)...
KMAC and KISS Spread the word...Joe Anthony (met him at Flipside) Lou Roney
Budgie,Legs Diamond and Moxy concerts...
Jiffy Mart...
AM 55 KTSA...
The Comador Club on Rosevelt near Military Drive...
Hey there Born and raised on the South side. Graduated McCollum in 82. I was a member of the Comador in the late 70s and bought my Under Ground Comics at Flipside . Welcome. HHW

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 AM

139 posts, read 504,719 times
Quote:
Ok I've been reading this for days now and its so amazing and I want to post too...I hope this stuff hasn't been posted yet but with so many pages and the need to do other things I'm going for it...
I spent most of my youth on the south side but I have been able to enjoy all the other posts nevertheless...
Alamo Dragway...Used to help out a couple friends,Steve Surber (sp) had a Mustang called Gang green...James Golick? with a black Drag Bike...
Pan American Speedway...
Flipside Records...Oh the smell of those incence...And all the Parafenaila (sp)...
KMAC and KISS Spread the word...Joe Anthony (met him at Flipside) Lou Roney
Budgie,Legs Diamond and Moxy concerts...
Jiffy Mart...
AM 55 KTSA...
The Comador Club on Rosevelt near Military Drive...
Hey there Born and raised on the South side. Graduated McCollum in 82. I was a member of the Comador in the late 70s and bought my Under Ground Comics at Flipside . Yes satx56 is the King of Knowledge, on the Southside. He still might live there. I can't remember. Welcome. HHW

Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,828 times
Default San Antonio Then and Now

A great book by Paula Allen shows comparative photos of San Antonio from "Then" and "Now"

Also has a book on Texas and other major metro cities.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,158,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawderosa Ranch View Post
A great book by Paula Allen shows comparative photos of San Antonio from "Then" and "Now"

Also has a book on Texas and other major metro cities.
That's one of my favorite books on San Antonio!

You can check it out on Amazon.com and see other cities listed.

I love the whole series of books...I think I have almost every 'then and now' city book and in fact, I just bought the Atlanta version yesterday from the Sales rack at my local book store.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,876,403 times
Quote:
Oh and the movie Sugarland Express...Filmed part of the chase down Military Drive and then the shoot out at Loop 13 I think...My dad and I went there and checked out all the cars at the car lot there where they watched a movie from a motorhome on the lot...or something like that...
Sugarland Express, I was probably 30 feet from Spielberg and didn't have a clue!! The used car lot seen was in an actual car lot across Ascot St. from the McDonald's. The McDonald's is across Military Drive from SPM. Mc Donald's sits where the old "Spotted Horse Restaurant" used to sit!! The scene where the small town Sheriff pulls out of the garage was next to my house. Home to a City policeman and friend. Me and my cousins and friends stood and watched the filming from the backyard. This was at Forsen and Peterson Streets! Off Hutchins and Zarzamora in Patton Heights!! My cousins happened to live next door at the time. There are 4 or 5 of my cousins and friends cars in the Movie. Can't see mine . Not sure if still driving Camaro in my profile or gotten my new truck!! The part filmed on Military Drive even catches a glimpse of my old church! You can see the screen of the Loop 13 Drive - In. Forget the movie about snakes or something . That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Glad you're enjoying the thread....I believe satx56 grew up around the Harlandale area...he should be able to remember some more areas...he's actually started his own thread about the Harlandale area from the 50s-70s....
Thanks 940, and thanks again for this great thread!!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM

237 posts, read 851,843 times
Those are good books and there is a new one titled San Antonio; Then, Now & Always. It has 350 images mostly in color and covers everything from Kiddie Park & Pig Stand on Broadway to the long gone Trail Drive-In on Loop 13, also a bunch of other old SA places, some gone and others still in place. It is a very good book with not only lots of cool fotos but also a lot of neat history and personal stories as well. Of course I'm biased because I wrote it and am also a South Sider, well actually SE since I graduated from Highlands. It is a big book at a fair price and should be available at Barnes & Noble, Borders and the Twig on Broadway. Or you can get it from Amazon discounted a little. It is my 5th book about San Antonio and I just started number six but the others are mostly sold out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio