Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM

35 posts, read 116,081 times

Advertisements

The track was 4 miles south of loop 410 on Hwy.16 (Poteet Hwy).

Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,303,763 times
I am also curious about the large houses (Mansions) that still exist around West Avenue and LockHill-Selma. One of them is now the Lodge at Castle Hills. Some of the others are still residences. I think there were more there when I was a kid, but I think the apartments and some of the shopping malls and offices were built over them.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,303,763 times
Here's something interesting I found in Place Names of San Antonio:

Basse Road was named after Edgar A. Basse. He started one of the first wholesale grocery companies in San Antonio. After awhile, though, he got the idea of a self-service grocery store. He opened the first one in 1918 and eventually opened 32 stores around San Antonio and in Texas. At some point, and I can't find the date, he sold out all his stores to Piggly Wiggly, which is how Piggly Wiggly came to San Antonio.

Does anybody remember these Basse stores? Does anybody know what year he sold them to Piggly Wiggly?

I'll see what I can figure out.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,550,697 times
I have always been interested in the area inside callahan off bandera, the area around Benrus..lots of old houses on large lots

Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,933,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I have always been interested in the area inside callahan off bandera, the area around Benrus..lots of old houses on large

lots
Used to go up and down Benrus in the early 70's! Going back and forth to Randy's Rodeo and Thunderbird Hill's! I recall the old house at the top of the hill. The road jogged around it! I've forgotten exactly how it was !!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,383,447 times
OK...here's one for you all. WALKER RANCH......it's known for it's archeological finds of historical significance......but what is the name of the person that owned it.....beyond just "Walker"? I honestly don't know. All I have are initials of C. G. Walker. Does anyone know any first names?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 AM

55 posts, read 233,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought Jade Fountain came before Royale Burger. I remember going the Jade Fountain on Fredricksburg inside the loop in the mid to late 70's, the building is still there I think. I remember the Royal Burger on Callaghan and I-10 opening in the late 70's or early 80's.
Heck - I could be wrong. Sometimes I have to think to remember how old I am. You might be able to answer me this: the name of the bar before it was The Hidden Tavern. I think it was The Crossroads, at least it started with a "C". It was located at West Ave and Patricia.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,698,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Great stuff primo, I was going to ask you about Huebner Rd any history on that street?
GWhopper has the intel on Huebner and I will defer the details to him. I believe he was a silversmith and he owned land from Vance Jackson all the way to Bandera and he built and lived in none other than the "Onion House" off of bandera. Unfortunately its current namesake came from another family that lived there in the early 1900's and the "Huebner" was forgotten.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,698,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I am also curious about the large houses (Mansions) that still exist around West Avenue and LockHill-Selma. One of them is now the Lodge at Castle Hills. Some of the others are still residences. I think there were more there when I was a kid, but I think the apartments and some of the shopping malls and offices were built over them.
I know both that mansion and the Judge Roy Barerra mansion on Vance Jackson...have observatory towers(at least i assume they are?). built near the house. Anyone know their purpose? Or where they some type of grain storage building?
The Lodge at Castle Hills...was built with round river rock..not from anywhere around here. The Barerra mansion is built with more traditional limestone.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 AM

64 posts, read 431,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Someone mentioned Satels men's store on Broadway. That was at one time the Alamo Heights Post Office. Prior to that location, the post office was in the corner of that shopping center where the Lion And Rose Pub (and before that "La Fonda".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember the Winn's in that shopping center.

Yes, I remember that Winn’s also. It always had a place in my family’s heart after 1948 when we left our three-year old baby brother at Winn’s after doing some shopping there. I think our mother must have had some really heavy thinking to do, because she couldn’t even keep track of all three of us little ones. We came back about 20 minutes after leaving, having finally realized we were missing someone. A policeman had given my brother a big stick of licorice.

Last edited by DickZ; 11-06-2008 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio