Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 35,671 times

Advertisements

I have been away awhile and have just got back to these boards. Someone asked for me to the area around Churchill way back when. When I was going to school at Churchill the only apartments were the Churchill apartments just north of the school. Toward the end of my time at the school they started putting in all the apartments on the south side of churchill. These then blocked the view of the school from West Ave so that you could only see the school crest on top of the building.

The strip center that used to have the Handy Andy as the anchor store used to be an enclosed strip center. There was an atrium in front of the stores. Across Blanco from Handy Andy was a bike store called the Bike Barn. Going north on Blanco there was nothing after Bitters. I will try to be more specific with details later.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:37 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,444,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJTexas View Post
I have been away awhile and have just got back to these boards. Someone asked for me to the area around Churchill way back when. When I was going to school at Churchill the only apartments were the Churchill apartments just north of the school. Toward the end of my time at the school they started putting in all the apartments on the south side of churchill. These then blocked the view of the school from West Ave so that you could only see the school crest on top of the building.

The strip center that used to have the Handy Andy as the anchor store used to be an enclosed strip center. There was an atrium in front of the stores. Across Blanco from Handy Andy was a bike store called the Bike Barn. Going north on Blanco there was nothing after Bitters. I will try to be more specific with details later.
Thanks for the information I live in that area and would like to know more about how it was many years ago. I think enclosed strip centers were common in the 70's.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 18,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizlampe View Post
to texxmatty regarding the synchro swim team: I swam with you at the TMI "indoor" pool. I was around 16 at the time. At least the Arneson River Theater had running water, unlike the old hemisphere lake with 2 foot thick algae on the bottom and molded dressing rooms! Those were the good old days!
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been away from this thread for awhile. Yes indeed those were the good old days! I have very fond memories of those times and of Mrs. Swann. I'm so happy to see from your previous post that she's doing well...she was a tough cookie back in the day!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 AM

55 posts, read 233,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJTexas View Post
I may not be remembering it correctly but I thought that the BarQ was down west ave before you got to blanco going east. On the right hand side. I remember it being a brown building kind of an old west style with the horse tie post. That was many years ago and my memory might be wrong. I thought El bosque was down West Ave past where Nakoma dead ends onto West Ave. (down near where the low water crossing was and caddy corner from Center school.
El Bosque is just past Nakoma, and BarQ was further down (between El Bosque and North Loop Rd). I remember when Star Wars was first shown at the San Pedro drive-in, the line of cars stretched that far down West Ave.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Thanks for the information I live in that area and would like to know more about how it was many years ago. I think enclosed strip centers were common in the 70's.
I too live in that area now and I lived there back then (81-85) before moving away. Before the HEB and its' strip center, it was a huge open field with the only businesses were Pizza Inn (now Taco Cabana), Church's, and GW Jrs (now Subway). The little strip anchored by Cowboy Cleaners was there but in somewhat different form (I think). The State Farm agent (Ron Rivas) has been there since the mid 70's. Across Blanco the McDonald's and Pizza Hut were in place at least since 1976.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:51 AM

35 posts, read 116,110 times
W cat, My wife tells me she attended the Joske's Charm School at North Star Mall in the early
70's , probably 71 or 72. Could that be one in the same ? jg

Old 11-02-2008, 09:35 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,444,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskie View Post
I too live in that area now and I lived there back then (81-85) before moving away. Before the HEB and its' strip center, it was a huge open field with the only businesses were Pizza Inn (now Taco Cabana), Church's, and GW Jrs (now Subway). The little strip anchored by Cowboy Cleaners was there but in somewhat different form (I think). The State Farm agent (Ron Rivas) has been there since the mid 70's. Across Blanco the McDonald's and Pizza Hut were in place at least since 1976.

Hi Lin thanks for the information do you remember what used to be where the Las Palapas is now? I know the KFC used to be an Arby's.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,386,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
W cat, My wife tells me she attended the Joske's Charm School at North Star Mall in the early
70's , probably 71 or 72. Could that be one in the same ? jg
A week ago I might have guessed yes. But I ran across some information that this school was built from the ground up on a farm north of town. It was basically a "reform" school, so my guess is that they aren't connected!

The rendering of it was beautiful. A very large two story Spanish revival structure with a dormitory for about 20 girls early on. The girls average age was 13-16. The were educated and also worked the farm.....cows, chickens....etc. There were several out buildings....detention hall, classroom building and the farm structures.

It makes me crazy to read information about such wonderful buildings, and to find out they were torn down and not salvaged in some way.

Mr. Joske was a huge philanthropist in the early 1900's and contributed to many organizations. He created this one in honor of his mother. It might have reverted to a "county" funded school when he died, and possibly closed during the war years. I cannot find a trace of anything that might have resembled this structure. It was possibly in the Churchill area (before Churchill High school was even thought about)....and not far from the Salado Creek and the present day Hwy 281.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Hi Lin thanks for the information do you remember what used to be where the Las Palapas is now? I know the KFC used to be an Arby's.
I believe it opened up as "Royale Burger" of which there was at least one more location at Callaghan and Culebra, then it was a Chinese joint called "Jade Fountain" (once again "I think"). Some other-used-to-bees: the 24 hour Kwik Wash next to Las Palapas was a Mr. Gatti's, the Schlotzkies was a savings and loan, and Little Italy was a place called Jody's Pizza. Also the Money Store on Blanco was a full service gas station with self-service prices. I was not around for the Arby's. I had been gone from the area from '85-'04 and all these observations are from before then.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,698,838 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting this, very interesting article. Good to have a thread like this to learn about who streets are named after.
I don't know the history, but that can be a project for GWhopper. There is an Orsinger Mansion. It is behind Orsinger Park off of Heubner. You can see it from Huebner..it is old limestone with a tin roof. From what I understand the decendants still live there.

Speaking of old mansions. There are several in my neighbor that I really don't know the history. These would be the on the corner of Callaghan and Stonehaven. This is where Raul Jimenez' estate overlooks the city from a hill top (8910 callaghan). It looks very old, but it could have been build to look like an old spanish mission. Across Callaghan are 2 old mansions on several acres, these now serve as a Catholic nun convent...I know the nuns from St. Mathews live there, maybe other churches. Directly behind those 2 is a new mansion that was build by the founder of Church's Fried Chicken (3119 Stonehaven). Also on 8823 Callaghan..this was the Nowatny Home from Nowwatny Taxidermy. It is not a huge house, but very old and it has a lot of history, there was once an article in the paper about him when he died. The estate is surrounded by a small rock wall...but the old man was a rock hound and he collected rocks from all over the world..and the is wall is built from all of his rock collection.
I really dont know the history of these homes...you can look them up on zillow.com Let me know if anyone knows anything about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio