Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,110 times

Advertisements

Dan:
Did you attend the Hi-Ho or Highland Park theatre?
Old pic of Hi-Ho:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...71117_0242.jpg

Old pics of Highland Park:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...nd_theatre.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...d_theatre2.jpg

Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 PM

35 posts, read 111,770 times
Default first grade RBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Dan:
I moved around so much that I didn't have any friends until I reached Fenwick on the northside. I did have some neighbor friends but they attended Catholic School at St. Cecilia near Fair Ave. (or it could be St. Teresa). I know there was one of those Catholic Schools near RBG. Their parents still live on Chicago Blvd as of 1990's. Could be passed by now.
I was starting Riverside when you started at RBG, if you started in the fall of 50. My second grade teacher died during the school year of cancer or such. It was very traumatic for the class. Everyone loved that teacher. She was very young, in her early twenties.
gy2020- my 1st grade teacher was Ms Mcclellan then Ms Beadle I think Ms warren was 5th grade because she was patrol sponsor and the the famous Mrs Jacobson 6th grade. Very old, very kind and whipped with a little red rubber hose which we all feared. Never had to experience it. Ms Longwith was the music teacher, and I'll never forget the spring flower shows where the halls were filled with flowers for the open house. Ms Warren forever cured me of eating beets because she made me eat mine one lunch and to this day I tell my wife they taste like dirt. Got in big trouble because one day we found a severed thumb from a hobo that got run over by a train on S.Presa and Jimmy Yantis carried it around in a matchbox for a good while. It was a real show and tell object. Such memories!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 PM

By the way St Cecelias is directly across the street from RBG. I think St Teresa is at Fair and Presa, or was. I don't know now. Dan G

Old 05-15-2008, 05:52 PM

55 posts, read 138,024 times
Dan G and GY2020..... I Went to Gerald Elementary on what was then Tennessee. That started in fall of 1953. Later went to Harlandale Jr. High and felt I was in San Quentin.
Tough school. We moved to Blanco in Jan 1961 where I became a farm boy. Looking at the Hi-Ho theater....do you guys remember an old beer joint at Presa and Dauchy RD (now a continuation of Southcross)? Next door an old Staffels feed store? Those were owned by my father and we had to put up with a lot of junk because of those places.The feed store was o.k. but the beer joint was a problem.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Hi-Ho theatre

Quote:
Friend named Thumper whose parents managed the HI-HO theatre took me after school one day and we had a private showing of "Lady and the Tramp". Got to sit in the projection room. Great fun. Dan G

Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Dan G.

The Hi-Ho is still there. It is part of Southern Folger Company. The company makes prison bars and locks.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...11-09-0716.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...atregoogle.jpg

The Highland Park was torn down and has been replaced by I-10 overpass at Hackberry.

The owner of the Hi-Ho, Gidney Talley, also owned a theatre in Pleasanton, Texas. His son, runs a multiplex in Pleasanton. He is probably the friend that invited you for a private showing.

The Hi-Ho was in operation from 1947 until 1955. Afterward it became a country dance hall. It might have been one of the businesses that caused you problems.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 PM

Default S.Presa and Dauchy Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Dan G and GY2020..... I Went to Gerald Elementary on what was then Tennessee. That started in fall of 1953. Later went to Harlandale Jr. High and felt I was in San Quentin.
Tough school. We moved to Blanco in Jan 1961 where I became a farm boy. Looking at the Hi-Ho theater....do you guys remember an old beer joint at Presa and Dauchy RD (now a continuation of Southcross)? Next door an old Staffels feed store? Those were owned by my father and we had to put up with a lot of junk because of those places.The feed store was o.k. but the beer joint was a problem.
Blanco Joe- Now that's really stirring up the old grey matter for me because I have to say I hadn't heard Dauchy Rd for over 50 years. After my mom and dad divorced I lived on Hermitage Ct. which is a few blocks south of what is now Southcross Blvd. Had to take the bus to and from Robert B. Green or ride my bike and risk my life. That was about 1955 or 56.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 PM

Default Highland Park

Quote:
Dan G.

The Hi-Ho is still there. It is part of Southern Folger Company. The company makes prison bars and locks.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...11-09-0716.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...atregoogle.jpg

The Highland Park was torn down and has been replaced by I-10 overpass at Hackberry.

The owner of the Hi-Ho, Gidney Talley, also owned a theatre in Pleasanton, Texas. His son, runs a multiplex in Pleasanton. He is probably the friend that invited you for a private showing.

The Hi-Ho was in operation from 1947 until 1955. Afterward it became a country dance hall. It might have been one of the businesses that caused you problems.
gy2020- Yeah I remember it as the Highland theatre at Hackberry and Rigsby where we spent many a Saturday morning. Seems like it was 25cents to get in but I may be wrong. You're probably right about the name Talley because for some reason it does ring a rusty bell.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Jimmy Yantis is probably a cousin of mine. I'm Gary Yantis. Mrs. Longwith was my first grade teacher in 49-50. Twice I was running to the restroom after recess and twice this same guy pushed me into a concrete corner going up the steps and both times I slashed my forehead. Never forget it. Had the scars to prove it. Did a school play and I forgot my single line. Embarrassing. I think those falls effected my short term memories, plus getting hit in the head with a bowling ball when I was five years old didn't help either.

Mrs. Longwith's daughter taught drama at Jefferson High School when I attended there. She was Miss Longwith.

I also had cousins that lived on Hermitage Ct.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 PM

Dan G. what street did you live on? I was on Becker, about a 1/2 block off S. Presa. We had the railroad tracks behind us and my parents bought a Philco tv console. we were the first people in the neighborhood to have a tv and everyone came over to watch the test patterns. My favorite shows were Life of Riley, Stu Erwin show with Willie the black yardman. Saturday mornings we would watch Buster Brown show. "I'm Buster Brown, I live in a shoe, Bark! Bark!, That's my dog Tide, he does too."
Many old favorites, Lone Ranger, hated Roy, loved Gene Autry and I saw Hopilong Cassidy in person, as guest host of the River Parade. I also like Sky King and Penny.
The big radio show was "So You Want to Be a Cop!"
We would go down to the old jail house and watch the paddy wagons bring in the drunks and prostitutes. Such fun!!

And when I lived on Chicago Blvd. we use to play a game called "Prison Break" where a person with a flash light would shine it on another person and then that person was caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio