Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM

17 posts, read 56,398 times

Advertisements

What I remember about KEXL 1969-1971 is that I was always winning tickets to concerts in Austin on Mondays. And I would win these tickets while at work! Saw many great acts in Austin

Old 05-31-2008, 09:57 PM

I was there in March 2008 for a family birthday party and I probably won't be going back there. Menu and food were not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I just heard, but have not yet confirmed, that the San Francisco steakhouse was back open under new managment? Can anybody confirm this? And if so, has anybody eaten there yet?

I understand the same family from Mexico that previously owned it and ran it into the ground still owns it, but that they hired a new managment company to run. This is the same family that bought Maggies and tore the exterior up.

I'd like to go there again, but want to know if the food has improved any. Last time I went, it was aweful.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM

I seem to remember the Hi-Ho Theater (the one on S. Presa) operating beyond 1955. Why? Moved to the house where I am still at in 1956 and my brother and I went to go see Thunder Road with Bob Mitchum at the Hi-Ho. And Thunder Road didn't come out until 1958.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Dan G.

The Hi-Ho is still there. It is part of Southern Folger Company. The company makes prison bars and locks.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...11-09-0716.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...atregoogle.jpg

The Highland Park was torn down and has been replaced by I-10 overpass at Hackberry.

The owner of the Hi-Ho, Gidney Talley, also owned a theatre in Pleasanton, Texas. His son, runs a multiplex in Pleasanton. He is probably the friend that invited you for a private showing.

The Hi-Ho was in operation from 1947 until 1955. Afterward it became a country dance hall. It might have been one of the businesses that caused you problems.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 PM

St. Teresa's is still on Fair and Presa but has been some Charter School for the past 8-10 years. St. Teresa's closed and the buildings remained unused until the Charter School took over.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Does anybody remember Goas Tamales? How about Facs corn chips or Carmens Chili chips. Rainbo Bread? Texas Pride Beer in the blue and white cans? Does anyone remember before Coors Beer came to town. Remember the beer runs to get it?
I remember Goas........kinda remember Facs but what I distinctly remember is Fritos....their operation was like almost across the street from us but around the corner on Roosevelt Ave. We could go in anytime and get free bags.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 PM

sent you email with a copy of the post by Snowglobe posted in Dec. 2007

Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 PM

El Mercado....ahh. Some history on that: Before 1975, the present day El Mercado building WAS a barn type building, really known as the Farmers Market. Produce vendors could directly drive in from San Saba Street and sell from their trucks. They would have to pay the Market Master something like 50 or 75 cents to be there. Also, vendors had two different locations they could sell in: across the street from the 'barn building", which was a mixture of produce and mexican curios and alot more open....just a roof, I believe. And somewhere behind the present La Quinta on Dolorosa, there was Hay Market Plaza, which was just a very long, but high, block of cement. Then comes Urban Development. The 'barn building" undergoes an entire transformation. Produce Row...the street that was open between the building and Mi Tierra, was closed and made into a pedestrian mall. The building that faced east on W. Commerce, which had once served as a meat market, gets transformed into the Centro de Artes, that was then rented out for weddings and quincenierras. The 'barn building', or the original Farmers Market now becomes the El Mercado where all the curios are now sold, and the once open building across the street becomes the new Farmers Market. And there were produce vendors still using the new Farmers Market up until the 1980's. What drove the produce vendors away was the City renting the building for events at night. So the new Farmers Market was redone once again and it now houses more curios and other shops. They even have a food court. And Hay Plaza Market? Gone with the wind. I remember my mom buying our Christmas trees at Hay Plaza and the old and new Farmers Market. And I remember late hour trips to Mi Tierra (before Produce Row was closed) and parking head in in front of the restaurant to buy pan de dulce. And I know all of this because I was lucky (unlucky?) to have been there and been a part of all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Merryg ..I enjoyed reading your posts. I remember when I was very young living on Cliffwood (off of West Ave.) that we had the Milk man the Egg man and the Orange Lady. They sold milk, eggs and oranges door to door. Their were also guys that sold produce like Tomatoes and Cantalopes door to door. My mom would buy from them frequently. I remember El Mercado back then but it was way different then now. It was kind like a big barn back then and always very busy.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:17 PM

The name was Botica Guadalupana run by the San Miguel family. And next to it was a neighborhood grocery store with a great meat market run by Emilio Cadena and his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManOnBass View Post
Does anyone remember anything about the old pharmacy that was there. It was called Botica ????

Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 PM

The Trail was on SW Military Drive, not far from the Roosevelt/Military Drive intersection; the Mission Drive which finally just shut down! on Roosevelt; the Alamo on Austin Hwy; the ParkAire; the Kelly Drive In; El Capitan; Fiesta Drive In; Valley Hi; South Loop 13; Rigsby; Lackland; Fredericksburg; Circle 81; Towne Twin (this was WW White Rd); the San Pedro;the Judson, the Bandera; El Charro; and I think the Roxy.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:41 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjp7983 View Post
Just to update, we tried to go to Karam's tonight for dinner, and the wait was over an hour. The entire restaurant was packed, including the back patio and the "upper" area that is almost always curtained. Maybe if we can pack the place every night, they will keep it open! I've been going there since I was a kid (40+ years ago) and after losing Naples, La Lou, Little Hipps, et., etc., this one really hurts. We were there two weeks ago, and they said "sometime in late June" was the best estimate of when it would be closing.
What was that great seafood restaurant in close proximity to Naples? Too bad about Karam's. I think the children just want the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio