Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 50,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur1 View Post
The Crystal Pistol is now a massage parlor or accupunture center. I spent many a teenage night there and some afternoons. If I remember correctly, at lunch, a mug of beer was 50 cents as were the hamburgers. Then, I would stagger home down the street. The Pistol was one of the greatest places around. Preppies, bikers, and everyone else got along and listened to loud music (At night) and had a great time.

Mud, You should remember this.
don't know if im posting this right but anyway crystal pistol was turned into turtle dragon wellness center. our paranormal investigation team used to investigate there. then about 2 yrs ago turned into a hair studio.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:56 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,675 times
That was me Lin.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:45 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
BuzzCam...It is neat that you remember so many intricate details about S.A. It is a pretty cool city and I have been around like you, but not near as many schools. When you do come back, you will be astounded at the growth. It is slowly losing its small town flavor. I hope it holds on as long as possible.... it is unique. The memories and the current growth are unlike most other places. Welcome back when it happens!! Ricci Ware is still on KTSA and so is one of his sons, Trey Ware. KONO still plays 60's rock.
Thanks for the information! I bet Trey may have been the little boy who said his father was Ricci Ware.

I, also, remember North Star Mall. Our family saw "The Sound of Music" at the Theatre there. I think there may of been two theatres at North Star Mall during that time. It was the first time I saw a movie with "stereo sound". How times have changed!

The company I work for in Nashville is NorthStar Studios. I thought that was a cool name, which did bring back my North Star Mall memories.

By the way, I can listen to WOAI Radio in Nashville when our local "Adult Standards" Station on 1200KHz goes off the air at sunset.

Thanks again for the info!
Sincerely Buzz in Nashville.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
I've asked this before, but now there are many more members of this board, so I thought I'd try again: What is the relationship between the Bate's family (who started Whopper Burger) and whomever currently own's Murf's????

Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 AM

55 posts, read 137,917 times
BuzzCam... I think North Star mall opened in 1959. It was a dairy farm before that, I think. WOAI is considered the "blowtorch" because of its extreme power. I have heard of people picking it up many miles away. North Star is even bigger and better than before. The owners apparently keep it in stride, considering all the other regional malls around this town. I met Ricci Ware at my dermatologists office about two months ago. He is still very "conversational" in a room full of people. Can't miss his volume.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,954 times
Those were some wonderful days...I remember a Hamburger Joint on the corner of Basse Rd. and Blanco Rd. called Mrs. Mikes, served some of the best burgers in town. On San Pedro Ave, at the intersection where Jackson-Keller meet with it, was a place called "FROSTY'S ROOT BEER", they use to serve their root beer in frosted iced, glass mugs. Now just north of that down the street, on the hill where Tiffany Billards now sits, used to be the home of the San Pedro Drive-In. I'm talking way before they moved it out to Bitters and 281, where it eventually closed down. And for those that want to really take a walk down memory lane, lets go downtown, where besides Joske's of Texas on Alamo Plaza, they had Wolff and Marx and Frost Bros. these were exclusive stores at their time. Not to mention the biggest downtown theaters, "TEXAS" and "MAJESTIC". Next to the Texas theater they had TOMMY INFERNO and around the corner was THE GREEN GATE CLUB, both catered to gentelmens entertainment, I of course was a young lad of maybe 12 years of age, but I could tell by the markee outside of the clubs. Down the street on St. Marys they had a dance hall for teens at the time, called "THE TOURIST CLUB", that was managed by a man named MEL SHARP, afterwards the kids could go a grab a burger at a place that looks like it came out of the movie American Graffitti...it was called "ROGERS DRIVE-IN". Man those were some days...it was great growing up during that time, I would not trade if for any other time to grow up in.

Last edited by Vic_Q; 05-28-2008 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 05-28-2008, 03:57 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
I remember Mrs. Mike's and I loved the hamburgers. Dad would buy them by the bag. I also Remember Texas Whip where La Fogata is now on Vance Jackson. Texas Whip was kinda like Dairy Queen except they sold KEY gasoline. I think it was Hancock gasoline that had a selector knob on the pump for different blends of fuel. I wonder if that really worked or if it was just a gimmick. I remember gas wars. Nobody would fill up till the gas prices started dropping.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Default downtown

If you remember the Texas downtown then you will remember that once a month with six Pepsi bottle caps you could get into the movies for free. Watch some cartoons, maybe win a prize, ten watch a full lenght movie.
Traveling west from the Texas you had the Prince which catered to X rated movies, then there was the Joy and you could get in for a dime. Then there was the Alameda. I always loved te way this place smelled......
Oh and by the way, wasn't that nite club next to the Texas called LITTLE JACK'S INFERNO ?
Let's not forget CONEY ISLAND on St. Mary's........

Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Was surprised nobody has mentioned the report on Tv about Karam's closing at the end of next month.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Was surprised nobody has mentioned the report on Tv about Karam's closing at the end of next month.
GWhopper had intel on that about 6 months ago and everyone on here told him he was crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio