Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 31,191 times

Advertisements

In regards to Cap-n-Jims being closed 10-15 years ago, I believe they may have moved the location down Roosevelt after it closed from the previous location. I live in that vicinity and commute to work every weekday, seeing a place next door to Pizza Hut across from the Mission called Cap-n-Jims, that still serves seafood. Don't know how old it is, but its a little place. They have a lent special going on right now.

Last edited by melissatx75; 02-24-2008 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Add regards to response.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,448,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissatx75 View Post
In regards to Cap-n-Jims being closed 10-15 years ago, I believe they may have moved the location down Roosevelt after it closed from the previous location. I live in that vicinity and commute to work every weekday, seeing a place next door to Pizza Hut across from the Mission called Cap-n-Jims, that still serves seafood. Don't know how old it is, but its a little place. They have a lent special going on right now.
I passed by there a few months ago and was thinking if they were the same ones.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,700,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I just looked at the satellite shot of where the Blanco Cafe was on San Pedro and Oblate. The Walgreen's is sort of at the top of a hill, and San Pedro starts to slope downward after Walgreen's (then rises up to a summit again at McDonald's). There was a little strip center (not there now) where the restaurant was. It was on the point where the slope starts to go downward, or else, at the bottom of the slope. There was also a small nursery (tree/plant store) on the same strip *or* very close to it.

That small strip center appears to be gone and I think there is a motel there now next to the Walgreen's.

Yes, believe it or not there was a nursery there, even though there is (and was) a larger one just up the road (still there) which used to be called Wolf Nursery. But this one was smaller.
Since we are talking this area...did anyone on the GBNF board ever eat at the Spanish Galleon(the place with the full size pirate ship sticking out of the building, next to the Handy Andy/HEB? I always wanted to go there.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 AM

88 posts, read 287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Since we are talking this area...did anyone on the GBNF board ever eat at the Spanish Galleon(the place with the full size pirate ship sticking out of the building, next to the Handy Andy/HEB? I always wanted to go there.
I ate there several times, mostly because it was close to the house and not crowded like the original Sea Island across from North Star Mall. It was good, but nowhere near as memorable as Christie's on B'way. About a 6.5 on the 10 Scale.

I think they served draft beer there in big, frozen "schooner" glasses, much like Hungry Farmer had. Mmmmmmmm.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,700,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There B4 View Post
I ate there several times, mostly because it was close to the house and not crowded like the original Sea Island across from North Star Mall. It was good, but nowhere near as memorable as Christie's on B'way. About a 6.5 on the 10 Scale.

I think they served draft beer there in big, frozen "schooner" glasses, much like Hungry Farmer had. Mmmmmmmm.
Could you go inside the ship part or was it purely decoration? That place was ahead of its time with this Pirates of the Carribean craze...it would be packed with kids if it was still around.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM

38 posts, read 176,891 times
Prior to that being the location of the "Spanish Galleon", was that the location of a "Zeider Zee". I thought I remembered the vanes of a windmill sticking out where the ship stuck out.

"Hungry Farmer"? Weren't there locations on San Pedro, Pat Booker Road, and S.W. Military Drive (Still there)? Man, it was good.

Yeah, the original "Blanco Cafe" was and still is at the southeast corner of Blanco and Elsmere. There was another restaurant in that location prior to "Blanco" but memory fails.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,222 times
Im in page 56 of this wonderful thread you all have here. Thank you all for great memories. Just wanted to throw my two cents in now rather than wait until I finish catching up with you all at page 282. But there is a Pizza Inn in Iraq and Kuwait. When you have been gone from US civilization even that Pizza in Iraq tastes great. As for Fajita Junction, man, That is the first place I took my wife when we first met. I ordered 5 tacos for me and five for her, but she only ate 1/2 of one because she was embarrassed to eat in front of me. I cant say that anymore. now she is not embarrassed, and will order what she wants. well I will see you in 282 laters.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,912,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I never ate there. I think my dad may have tried it once, but he didn't care for it too much, either because of the food, or he thought it was too expensive for what they served. He's a big seafood fan, though. I know he really liked Christie's.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM

847 posts, read 2,237,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur1 View Post

Yeah, the original "Blanco Cafe" was and still is at the southeast corner of Blanco and Elsmere.

There was another restaurant in that location prior to "Blanco" but memory fails.

cent, it was the L and M Cafe, before the Blanco Cafe.

Lots of misinformation here recently regarding sites
at the intersection of San Pedro and Oblate.

Some even confusing north east south and west.

Oblate runs east west
(Handy Andy was *North* of Oblate,
there is no *West* of Oblate.

I grew up in that neighborhood from 1957 to 1967.

I remember when the Zuider was built
I remember when that location was cactus and MesQuite
I remember the nursery - Grimm's
the Hungry Farmer
Batter Up
RollerCade
go karts
trampolines
Putt Putt
San Pedro Drive In
helped to build Central Park in 1968
Helped to build the NorthView Tower in 67
Schaefer's BarBQue (the very best)
Loop 410 was 2 lanes with a center stripe
Joe's Texaco. just north of the Lone Star Ice House,
which was at the northwest corner of San Pedro and Oblate
(every morning we stopped at the Lone Star
for cinammon rolls
on the way to school at Blessed Sacrament.
In those daze, us kids *walked* to school,
and, we were educated.)
I remember when they built Nimitz Jr High
Palmer's Nursery right there off Basse Rd
Pitch and Putt (Joe Conrad's)
Manny's Taco's
the Buggy Whip
Kinney Shoes
The Blue Room
next door was 281 Ice House
Bamboo Hut
La Fonda Mexican Restaurant (southeast corner San Pedro and Oblate)
It was DeWinnes before La Fonda, later the Hung Fong Family took over.
Taylor's Barber Shop.
If you had "long" hair, they paid you 5 bux
for the privilege of cutting it.
That was in North Towne Plaza (just for the record)
Solo Serve
the Club Moby Dick
The Night Hawk Restaurant

I could go on and on,
tired of typing.

mud

Old 02-25-2008, 11:42 PM

351 posts, read 1,587,615 times
Hi,

Are you talking about that pizza place in South Victory?

I thought that was a Pizza Hut.

Yes, it tastes FANTASTIC. Have not had it in a while. Stuck over at Loyalty and all we have is our one D-Fac.

I miss Fajita Junction Fajitas with the big ol heaping pile of grilled onions and creamy guacamole YUM!!!

Gotta go,

crazedchef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere else but SA View Post
Im in page 56 of this wonderful thread you all have here. Thank you all for great memories. Just wanted to throw my two cents in now rather than wait until I finish catching up with you all at page 282. But there is a Pizza Inn in Iraq and Kuwait. When you have been gone from US civilization even that Pizza in Iraq tastes great. As for Fajita Junction, man, That is the first place I took my wife when we first met. I ordered 5 tacos for me and five for her, but she only ate 1/2 of one because she was embarrassed to eat in front of me. I cant say that anymore. now she is not embarrassed, and will order what she wants. well I will see you in 282 laters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio