Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM

31 posts, read 142,237 times

Advertisements

Good to come across this site. So many memories- going to Phasez on San Pedro and the Bone Club. What about Bwana Diks on the Riverwalk and Bongo Joe? Central Park Mall was built by Morris Jaffe with interior design by his very glamorous wife Jeanette Longoria. She was responsible for the horses at the bottom of the escalators in front of Lillie Rubin woman's shop and an art gallery. The fountain was incredible and changed colors. She also designed the gates in front of the grocery store that was in Central Park Mall. It was upscale with a french bakery and a wine/imported food section.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 PM

60 posts, read 208,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Macgrad89,

I think I posted the wrong fountain ealier. Is this it?
Again, I apologize for the poor quality of photo.
Yep.. that's the fountain. Like the previous poster said there were colored lights at the bottom of the jets that periodically changed colors. I always remember the sound and smell of that fountain. The first picture of the fountain with the stairs was further down the mall.. possibly by Sears. Does anybody else remember all the coins in the main fountain? I think I have a picture of me as a kid sitting on one of those stone horse statues.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:38 AM

31 posts, read 142,237 times
I do recall the coins in the fountain. Also Sears in Central Park Mall had a fountain between the escalators. Like you, I recall siting on the horses after eating a Sunday dinner at Luby's, then walking the mall with everything closed. A treat was passing by the pet store on the top floor of the mall. Thanks for the opportunity to think about these things again. Wonderland was a great mall also. I recall the large anchor space with the elevator atrium being a Rhodes, Liberty House, and then later a Frost Bros. and Burlington. North Star Mall had a second floor that was used for private offices. Later the second store became a bridal shop called Eduardos in the 80's. The last movie I saw at the North Star Mall theater was Blame it on Rio with Michael Caine. I also recall Russell Stovers being in about every mall and always getting the pecan chocolates during every mall visit. You're so spot on about the smell and feeling of the fountain. Funny how the senses other than sight play such a strong role in memory. Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Earlier on this thread, people mentioned remembering Mickey Mantle's restaurant in Central Park Mall.

Here is an ad for it:

Coincidentally, I ate at the new Kirby's steak house near stone oak. On their menu they list the locations of all their restaurants. Two of the restaurants where called Mickey Mantle's. I am not sure of the relationship yet, but will find out.
I wonder where in the mall it was located?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:06 AM

91 posts, read 323,661 times
Default Central Park...

GWhopper,

DING! DING! DING! The second photo indeed is the Four Seasons Fountain. Each of the four statues in the fountain represented a season - Spring, Summer, Fall/Autumn and Winter. I wonder what became of those statues when the mall removed the fountain and put the carousel on top of it. For that matter, there were other statues near the rear entrance to the mall as well - where could they (and the miniature horses) be now?

The first photo showed the fountain which was in front of Dillard's. The one in front of Sears was smaller. There were also fountains years and years ago outdoors in front of Luby's and Handy Andy; those were later converted to planters.

If I had to guess, Mickey Mantle's was near the west end of the mall toward Dillard's. There was a restaurant space for years near Radio Shack which had an outside entrance near a corridor which ran between Dillard's and this small group of shops. I can't think of any other place it could have been.

Macgrad89

Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 33,080 times
What's all the hubbub about what is gone but not forgotten? When you grow up with a city as I did with San Antonio, you see the birth of so many things and the death or destruction of others to make room for the new. South San was not part of the city when I was a little girl growing up there. Does anyone know if the strange specimens that were on display in the old Hall of Fins which is part of the old Hall of Horns display are still there. This was part of the old Lone Star Brewery and the Longhorn Saloon. I know it has been compiled in one building or location but there were some really eerie looking sea creatures' remains in the Hall of Fins that my children & their father & I observed back in the late 60's. I have not had the opportunity to go check them out since then.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 AM

60 posts, read 208,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsenior View Post
What's all the hubbub about what is gone but not forgotten?
I find it very interesting to have memories brought back to mind that I had literally forgotten completely about until I read about them.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 13,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
Great thread! I'm new to the forum but I'll throw in what I recall about San Antonio. I grew up on the southside and there was a drive-in on Military Drive between Roosevelt and Flores. It used to be where the old Wal-Mart is located at...Does anybody remember the name of it? It used to have a huge painting of a cowboy on a horse on back of the main screen (I think). Also, there used to be a fantastic pizza place on Military and Commercial next to Flipside I believe...What was the name of that place?
The name of the drive-in was The Trail. The pizza place was Colonas Pizza, best pizza in town.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:33 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,029 times
Wasn't there also a free standing elevator in the middle of Central Park Mall, near the first fountain I posted? I remember you a choice between the steps and the elevator.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:21 PM

47 posts, read 155,843 times
Anyone remember Orange Julius?? Man that drink was the BOMB!
I use to go to Mccrelles Mall and right across was a Pizza Place and further up was Montgomery Wards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio