Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times

Advertisements

All those ads are so awesome, keep them coming everyone.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Default Stuff

Carefully read this whole page...it has everything we talk about. Playland, Turtle Creek, Tee-Pee...all the theaters.
This just hit me...remember I said I once saw Red Fox (Fred Sanford)...at Handy Andy in the Colonies North Mall. Look at who is the up coming performer at Turtle Creek Country Club!

To hell with the Da Vinci code...we are finding clues to our own past here in SA!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-turtle-creek.jpg  

Last edited by Primo; 12-18-2007 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Love it! Thanks Primo...I remember that little zig and zag you had to do right there in front of Mr Dunderback's and Frost Bros. I actually remember a lot of those stores from walking around North Star as a kid back in the 70s.
Wow, there used to be a Mr Dunderbak's (note it was misspelled in the map, there was no 'c') at North Star Mall? I worked at one as a teenager during the late 70s/early 80s then again after I got out of the USAF and before I went to college in late 1985. Great place, wish they were still around...well, there is, in Tampa and Daytona. I think there are a few in NC as well...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,812 times
Thanks, Shane. I loved their food. Happy to know they are still there. If I ever get back to SA, I will certainly go there and have my usual...an order of bean chalupas! :-D

Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Quote:
I remember Mr Miculka although he wasn't there the entire time I was at MHS. I missed Mr Kuentz when he decided to leave so I was biased when Miculka showed up. So anyway, it seems we were also in marching band together...and at least a couple of years during the same time.
Did you go to the Orlando competition in 82?

Glad you like the thread...please post anything else you can that might bring back memories to many of us on here that enjoy reading this.

Oh man you guys are bringing back memories.....my brother played tuba at marshall when they did the guiness record thing at the mall...I remember bringing him food and drink during it all. Had mr Kuentz for a band director too.....forgotten all about him!....thanks for the memories....thought those brain cells have been dead for years!! LOL

Old 12-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I actually worked for Charlie at El Chaparral right out of high school. Went back a few years ago and couldn't believe how different the restaurant is now.

I remember Braun Rd between Bandera and 1604...I made that drive every day that school was going on. Only thing out there was the original Braun Station neighborhoods until you got closer to 1604 and then I seem to remember a Knights of Columbus Hall and a baseball field next to a few 100 year old Hill Country farms. There's still part of one of those homes/farms just inside 1604 south of Braun if anyone has spotted it. It looks like it's been fenced off and the surrounding land has been cleared for more development.

Retro, if you haven't been back to SA in more than 10 years, you will be absolutely amazed. You do know that O'Connor High is now the high school for that part of SA instead of JMHS? It's just off Leslie Rd at Bandera. And the homes being built all around Helotes are incredible...and some are very pricey. Bandera at 1604 has so much retail and a Santikos movie theater that you might not recognize the intersection anymore, especially considering how there never used to be civilization until you got closer to Eckhert Rd.

Does anyone remember the old KKYX radio station tower that used to be off Bandera just north of Eckhert? I believe part of that land is now apartments and a Wal Mart Supercenter near what is now Mainland Rd.

Remember the little parade every year for Helotes' Cornyval festival? JMHS band marched in it every year back then.
Wow....I remember the old kkyx station...there was an old shamrock station right across from it. that and texas star inn were just about the only buildings there back then. They still have the friday night fish fry at Texas Star Inn.....so says the sign anyways. Me and my dad used to be in the helotes cornyville parade in helotes when I was maybe 10-12 years old. This area is a nightmare now.....too many shopping centers and subdivisions....oh well!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I only remember Super Slide being open maybe just one summer. They must have closed down immediately after the accident which happened at the end of the summer. All it was was like a mountain with a center walkway up to the top, and two slides on each side going down (four total). You would pay at the gate and they gave you a colored wristband and you would wait behind a barrier for your time to come up. Then they let people into the park in groups of about ten or more, and your wristband was active for about 30 minutes.
I remember that place!! I just had a flashback of us kids going there once or twice...I remember the wristbands and the time limits....it was really a treat back then.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 PM

Default CPM Texas Store

Ahh....the good ol' days...when you could buy liquor and guns in the same store.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-cpm-1_texas_store.jpg  

Old 12-19-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Chick Fil- A Opens in SA

Chick Fil- A Opens in SA
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-chick-fila.jpg  

Old 12-19-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Chris Marrou

OK...it is time to retire. Chris, you were once a young and ambitious newsman (when dinosaurs ruled the world), why don't you retire and make room for the next generation.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-chris-marrou.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio