Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 PM

61 posts, read 257,832 times
GWhop, indeed there was! Glass-doored, though I admit to never taking it...thought it was for old people or invalids...you know, kinda like me today!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
GWhop, indeed there was! Glass-doored, though I admit to never taking it...thought it was for old people or invalids...you know, kinda like me today!
Me, too! I remember going there with some of my parent's friends, a couple who always rode the elevator. My dad, who was kind of a Smart A$$ like me once asked the husband "why don't you just go down the stairs, it's faster." Her husband said his wife had a "condition".

I remember thinking to myself (I must of been all of 8 at the time), she's just fat and lazy. My dad, on the way down the steps, muttered "I know her condition, it's fat and lazy." I loved my Dad!

I found out later, she had a brain tumor, but that it was removed years earlier. In fact, they had to do two surgeries, one to remove the tumor, then other to remove a sponge they left behind during the first surgery. We are talking early 70's here. My dad has passed on due to cancer of another sort, but that lady is still alive and as fit as a fiddle, so I stand our earlier assessment.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:04 AM

61 posts, read 257,832 times
OK...what's the historic Mexican restaurant downtown that is closing in the next few days...used to have a place on Fred or Wurzbach (?), I think, with the statues out front? Never been to either, and I guess it is time!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:59 AM

25 posts, read 79,447 times
I remember Orange Julius....yummy There was one in Ingram Park. My son had gone to Rivercenter Mall and the Dairy Queen there sold Orange Julius. I believe there was an Orange Julius in every mall, just like Chic-fil-a used to be in malls only. On the subject of malls, my husband and I went to Ingram Park during Christmas and there was a little place in the mall that sold the square ice creams that were dipped in chocolate and then rolled in nuts. They use to have a little rectangular holder that went over the stick so if the ice cream melted, it would not get you all sticky. They also sold fresh squeezed lemonade that was added to sugar and water YUM YUM What memories.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 13,328 times
[quote=Willsatx;864694]Anyone remember a restaurant at the Corner of Miltary and Roosevelt? Forgot the name.[/quote
capt'n jim's

Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,013 times
The Tall Texan?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
I remember Orange Julius....yummy There was one in Ingram Park. My son had gone to Rivercenter Mall and the Dairy Queen there sold Orange Julius. I believe there was an Orange Julius in every mall, just like Chic-fil-a used to be in malls only. On the subject of malls, my husband and I went to Ingram Park during Christmas and there was a little place in the mall that sold the square ice creams that were dipped in chocolate and then rolled in nuts. They use to have a little rectangular holder that went over the stick so if the ice cream melted, it would not get you all sticky. They also sold fresh squeezed lemonade that was added to sugar and water YUM YUM What memories.
Anyone remember at Ingram next to the the dipped cones a place called the orange bowl? That was good stuff.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
OK...what's the historic Mexican restaurant downtown that is closing in the next few days...used to have a place on Fred or Wurzbach (?), I think, with the statues out front? Never been to either, and I guess it is time!
Karem's Restaurant.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsenior View Post
Does anyone know if the strange specimens that were on display in the old Hall of Fins which is part of the old Hall of Horns display are still there.
Momsenior,
can you elaborate on the "strange specimens"?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:16 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,209 times
Quote:
KAREM'S IS CLOSING?!?! It's freakin' historic! Well, that's where I'm going for dinner tonight! I can't believe this! They do a great lunch crowd, but with the original owners deceased, I guess the kids (and/or grandkids, they have a LOT of both) don't want to deal with it. SUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio