Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:34 PM

11 posts, read 38,369 times

Advertisements

Just quick breaking news, Our Lady of the Lake University is currently on fire, this is a 3 alarm fire, which started at 7:30 pm and as of now 8:35 the fire can not be contained. Many memories of this historical building.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 AM

35 posts, read 111,709 times
Default OLLU fire... a real shame and hopefully not a crime

That University is so historic and beautiful. I never attended as a student but as a Xerox technician years ago occasionally serviced copiers in the very building that was damaged by the fire. Very unfortunate indeed. Dan G

Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post
This is the only one I can find here with me. The rest are all back home in TX. (I'm in AZ)

Merry G, when I was about 4 yrs old in 1957 we had a fruit and vegetable man that used to drive his truck through the neighborhoods selling produce in the McCrellis area. My mom always called him Sam the vegetable man. He had a truck that looked a lot like the one in the picture. It's been a long time ago and I was very young but the man in the picture looks a lot like Sam. I don't know if that was his real name. He was a nice man and would always give us kids a free fruit or veggie. Could this have been your grandfather? Was his name, by any chance, Sam?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM

23 posts, read 68,099 times
I don't think that was him - but who knows!! He lived near Fox Tech. His name was Santiago.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post
This is the only one I can find here with me. The rest are all back home in TX. (I'm in AZ)

Wonder what street that pic was taken at?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,779 times
Default Yes I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I asked this about 20 pages back....so I'll try again. Anyone remember EDGE FALLS? It was up around Boerne and a little fork off the Guadalupe River that went through a ranch up there. It was not open to the public, but the owner looked the other way while we had a ball up there. This was in the early 70's. OMGosh.....it was soooo dangerous....and lots of underage drinking and ...um...whatever! (not me of course!) I drove up there about 10 years ago to find it, and someone near the land said several people died from falls and they finally closed it up. They even dammed the river so that part of the falls is a dry pool now! It was probably best....but under the right circumstances it would have been a beautiful setting for a resort or hotel now.

Please...tell me I'm not dillusional! Edge Falls did exist, right?

I spent alot of time there about 1969. I have not been in the area in years but am not surprised that it does not exist!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:58 AM

77 posts, read 263,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
Hello everyone. what an awesome thread. I don't know if its been discussed but does anyone remember the "Pizza In" on the corner of Hillcrest and Bandera? it was next to a GW Jr's. as a kid I grew up in the westside off of 36th and Culebra, and I remember going to a little mom and pop grocery store in the late 70's called "Arturo's" off of Culebra and Loma Park, then a block from that was a larger grocery store called "Bud's Foodliner" I also remember in the late 80's going to La Feria on Marbach and loop 410 and buying those bright colored shorts, they were called Jammers..LOL
oh and remember when Corona beer T'shirts were in
style? I remember going with my parents to Albertsons grocery store on Bandera and loop 410, they sold Actual vinyl records, I begged my mom to buy me KISS's 1980 "Unmasked" record.
ITs still there! Remember BABY DOLLs next door !?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM

77 posts, read 263,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
Hello everyone. what an awesome thread. I don't know if its been discussed but does anyone remember the "Pizza In" on the corner of Hillcrest and Bandera? it was next to a GW Jr's. as a kid I grew up in the westside off of 36th and Culebra, and I remember going to a little mom and pop grocery store in the late 70's called "Arturo's" off of Culebra and Loma Park, then a block from that was a larger grocery store called "Bud's Foodliner" I also remember in the late 80's going to La Feria on Marbach and loop 410 and buying those bright colored shorts, they were called Jammers..LOL
oh and remember when Corona beer T'shirts were in
style? I remember going with my parents to Albertsons grocery store on Bandera and loop 410, they sold Actual vinyl records, I begged my mom to buy me KISS's 1980 "Unmasked" record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I remember the Worst Show. I would love to see some of those shows again. It was like three sort of nerdy guys doing skits and stuff.

Another one was called Doppelganger, two long haired heavy metal guys doing skits and films. They filmed stuff around the UTSA campus. I remember one time there was a rock group in a recording studio and they used the UTSA piano rooms, small rooms with big glass wall panel/windows to the outer hall. Pretty creative because it looked like a studio from the inside.
I used to work with Dave(long Haired/whiteguy) at West Telemarketing and Played Street Fighter with Kimmy(black dude) at the DIVERSIONS game room!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,357 times
I believe the house on top of the hill at Judson and I35 was owned at one time by the Winn's (actually the son of the Winn which started Wincrest).

Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 PM

163 posts, read 546,260 times
OMG, I forgot about the guys from The Dopplegang. They used to do Saturday Night Shocker on KRRT on Saturday nights.

Funny guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio