Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Wasn't there a Hallmark store there, too? Dillards' moved in at the other end of the strip, too. Was that where the Penney's was later on?
Hallmark yes , Penny's no never!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Southside Sears had a sort of candy corral in the middle of the store. My mom used to love to get a pound of choclate covered peanut clusters whenever we went there to Shangri-la....A/C was a BIG treat for us in the fifties. By the way, Central Park Mall was always rumored to have all legitimate businesses, including the CP Bank.... but the money used to build it all was ..... from the East Coast, Vegas, New Orleans, and other scenic places like that.
Oh Yea! Smell that candy and popcorn now. They moved the candy & popcorn thing into a trailer in the parking lot in front of the main doors (east end) for a while. Probably early 60's remodeling or something was going on. Remember the little key shop in the parking lot in front of Sears Cafeteria?
I remember , before they ever built the add on across to Dilliards. That was all parking lot maybe some field to the side street. Handy Andy was in front of Dilliards where Whataburger is now.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
We used to roll our papers, I delivered the San Antonio Light, at the Model Market corner of Pecan Valley and Goliad about 230 am on friday and saturday nights. We would go throw our papers as fast as we could and then run the streets the rest of the night. Parents were asleep and never the wiser. Those were the days.
Shame on you!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM

58 posts, read 203,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Hallmark was between Sears and Walgreens. About the second little shop from Sears. Next to where Game Stop is now.
I remember a Fun and Gift shop (or magic shop) next to the Dillard's. Before Luby's, it was a cafeteria called Brittany Buffet. We used to go there all the time.

Walgreen's used to be across the street at Shopper's City. It closed down and became a Skillern's Drug Store for a while.

Last edited by disappear-here; 07-21-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 02:36 PM

58 posts, read 203,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Sat abandoned quite some time. When was that thing open? What was there specialty? I can't remember going in it.
We went there a few times. The sign outside said "Home of the Char-Burger and the Maxi Dog" Yet, we never saw those on the menu. We used to laugh about it all the time. Wondering when was the Maxi Dog coming.

I would guess that it was open in the early seventies. There was a Burger Chef right next to it. I believe that became a bank. They opened about the same time.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM

24 posts, read 59,977 times
So that's why Holt stunk so bad. When did the big Handy Andy on Pecan Valley, by Keinberg Field become a Fiesta?

Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 PM

[quote=darknight6662005;4541629]I'm pretty sure it has been brought up this thread before...but does anyone remember the Sears at Pleasenton rd.. I remember they had an Atari set up next to the snack stand. Then they had a Nintendo stand, that following year, 1985, I think. And that popcorn...I can still smell it now. Oh, and one more thing, was there ever a Pistol Pete or Peter Pipers, along the same strip where the Sears use to be, where the HEB is now? I think it was next to the Drug emporium was, where the fitness center and the CPS is now. Or is my memory playing tricks on me again.

I can't forget our old Sears! Towards the end of it's life, If you went in the east door off the strip there was a clothes section with a video game department right in the middle of it. They had a miniature train set up overhead going around and around.
As for the Pizza places , always got Pistol Pete's & Peter Pipers mixed up . Pistol Pete's was where Ben Franklin's or Winn's was at one time on Pleasanton Road south of Military Drive (about 2 blocks). In the old Model Market strip center with the Post office etc. They moved to where H.E.B , Brunners and the Texas Gold stamp redemption center was ( across Pleasanton Rd. from the current H.E.B. location ( where our beloved Sears used to be). Peter Piper's was close but can't recall where.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 PM

[quote=satx56;4545815]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight6662005 View Post
I'm pretty sure it has been brought up this thread before...but does anyone remember the Sears at Pleasenton rd.. I remember they had an Atari set up next to the snack stand. Then they had a Nintendo stand, that following year, 1985, I think. And that popcorn...I can still smell it now. Oh, and one more thing, was there ever a Pistol Pete or Peter Pipers, along the same strip where the Sears use to be, where the HEB is now? I think it was next to the Drug emporium was, where the fitness center and the CPS is now. Or is my memory playing tricks on me again.

I can't forget our old Sears! Towards the end of it's life, If you went in the east door off the strip there was a clothes section with a video game department right in the middle of it. They had a miniature train set up overhead going around and around.
As for the Pizza places , always got Pistol Pete's & Peter Pipers mixed up . Pistol Pete's was where Ben Franklin's or Winn's was at one time on Pleasanton Road south of Military Drive (about 2 blocks). In the old Model Market strip center with the Post office etc. They moved to where H.E.B , Brunners and the Texas Gold stamp redemption center was ( across Pleasanton Rd. from the current H.E.B. location ( where our beloved Sears used to be). Peter Piper's was close but can't recall where.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM

They screwed up our old Sears when they decided to partition it into seperate departments . They did the same thing to Montgomery Wards in McCreless. Big mistake. Notice when Sears moed to SPM it's wide open again. But not the same.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 Olds View Post
Nice to see a lot of good input from southsiders. I lived on the northwest, but worked on the southeast at Holt Machinery in 1963-64. They had a water tank in front with a diesel pump. The water was sulphur and the bottom was blue green. The smell was strong and we would swim on Sundays and drive an old tiny D2 baby cat for fun. The water drained down a ditch to feed two fish tanks, which were located east of the building across what is now 410. We were allowed to fish one, but the other was reserved for Holt Atherton, who was Holts' president, and his friends. I fished the tanks once after 410 was built. I guess the fish tanks are still there. Let me know if you catch something. There was also an airport with a windsock for wealthy construction execs to fly in to party and to buy equipment.
A diesel mechanic started at $1.65 an hour. The 4 top lead mechanics made $2.25 an hour. I know, I handled the payroll. I guess that is how you can afford to buy an NBA team.
The other places I remember were the Farmers Daughter, and for food the Curve drive-in and I think the Flame drive-in. Southsiders were really great down to earth people.
The Curve Drive in, I'd forgotten that name. You wouldn't believe what all has changed between the curve as I've always called it and S.Presa. I went to the Flame back in early 60's with older boys. Usually in a 57' chevy. It's still there can't recall if it still has the name. Been there a long time. I grew up in Harlandale near Flores & Military. I keep remembering the old Towne Twin Drive in as being right around that curve off w.w.White. But, apparently it was up closer to Rigsby. Farmers Daughter's, been in it once I think. Never went to dance but know lot's who did. Holt's been there long as I can remember. knew 1 or 2 guys that worked there in the late 70's or early 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio