Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM

905 posts, read 2,962,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember the Sears, Penny's, Walgreens, and Luby's in that strip.
Wasn't there a Hallmark store there, too? Dillards' moved in at the other end of the strip, too. Was that where the Penney's was later on?

Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM

55 posts, read 138,072 times
Southside Sears had a sort of candy corral in the middle of the store. My mom used to love to get a pound of choclate covered peanut clusters whenever we went there to Shangri-la....A/C was a BIG treat for us in the fifties. By the way, Central Park Mall was always rumored to have all legitimate businesses, including the CP Bank.... but the money used to build it all was ..... from the East Coast, Vegas, New Orleans, and other scenic places like that.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM

55 posts, read 138,072 times
Another oddity of the mid fifties that was properly banished due to health reasons... when you went to get a pair of shoes fitted, there was a machine that your could slid your feet into and look down through a scope of sorts, and see the bones of your feet. It was gimmicky, and I'm sure dangerous due to low level radiation. I don't think the thing stayed there for very long. Funny how that machine would have been considered perfectly o.k. until someone wised up that it was a form of radiation. If you remember, radiation was the reason all the monsters came into being for all those fifties sci-fi movies. Ha!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:45 PM

92 posts, read 303,715 times
Nice to see a lot of good input from southsiders. I lived on the northwest, but worked on the southeast at Holt Machinery in 1963-64. They had a water tank in front with a diesel pump. The water was sulphur and the bottom was blue green. The smell was strong and we would swim on Sundays and drive an old tiny D2 baby cat for fun. The water drained down a ditch to feed two fish tanks, which were located east of the building across what is now 410. We were allowed to fish one, but the other was reserved for Holt Atherton, who was Holts' president, and his friends. I fished the tanks once after 410 was built. I guess the fish tanks are still there. Let me know if you catch something. There was also an airport with a windsock for wealthy construction execs to fly in to party and to buy equipment.
A diesel mechanic started at $1.65 an hour. The 4 top lead mechanics made $2.25 an hour. I know, I handled the payroll. I guess that is how you can afford to buy an NBA team.
The other places I remember were the Farmers Daughter, and for food the Curve drive-in and I think the Flame drive-in. Southsiders were really great down to earth people.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,440,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Wasn't there a Hallmark store there, too? Dillards' moved in at the other end of the strip, too. Was that where the Penney's was later on?
Yes there was a hallmark and it was actually a Dillards and not a Penny's.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:00 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,440,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Southside Sears had a sort of candy corral in the middle of the store. My mom used to love to get a pound of choclate covered peanut clusters whenever we went there to Shangri-la....A/C was a BIG treat for us in the fifties. By the way, Central Park Mall was always rumored to have all legitimate businesses, including the CP Bank.... but the money used to build it all was ..... from the East Coast, Vegas, New Orleans, and other scenic places like that.
They also had a cafeteria style eatery with some decent food, they also had one at the downtown location.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,904,188 times
Quote:
I remember the Sears, Penny's, Walgreens, and Luby's in that strip.
Not Penny's. There was never a Penny's anywhere close to the old Sears location.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
They also had a cafeteria style eatery with some decent food, they also had one at the downtown location.
Hi Joe, After Luby's closed it became Brittany Buffet.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The Cafeteria inside Sears was up front in about the middle of the store. Windows all around it . Was pretty nice in it's heyday!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Yes there was a hallmark and it was actually a Dillards and not a Penny's.
Hallmark was between Sears and Walgreens. About the second little shop from Sears. Next to where Game Stop is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio