Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 07:21 PM

139 posts, read 505,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
Dr. Wilson delivered me at Santa Rosa Hospital and was my doctor up till his suicide then I would see his son as needed. Oh I'm sure Paw's truck was seen at White's (or Western Auto) on the corner of Southcross and Commercial often but it was dark blue. Remember Mr. Barry's store on Commercial? The Barry's lived on Hutchins in the rock house across from Terrell Wells Junoir High School. I also remember Paw would meet up with some of his WWI buddies at Blackie's Tavern on Commercial right past Hutchins. They would play dominos and have a beer.
Man I loved that Ole Rock House. I had forgotten about it. Speaking of Blackies. Anybody get their Hair Cut at Big and Littles on Pleasenton. The Barbers Name were Pete and Blackie.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:18 PM

50 posts, read 169,045 times
Default Scrivener's/yuppie hardware/Alamo Heights Lumber Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
And how could I forget Scrivener's? God I miss that place. All kinds of nifty home doo-dads and fancy ladies' stuff.

And I loved feeling like a very proper lady doing lunch there. They had yummy consomme' with little cheese biscuits, and I always ordered the stuffed tomato with shrimp and remoulade sauce (Shrimp Florence, that's it!)

I was bummed when they made it a Berings, and now it's gone for good.
Scrivener's was ahead of it's time. Up market hardware store/boutiques have certainly multiplied. . The one in the middle of Sunset Ridge where Winn's once resided, comes to mind. Bering's is an old Texas family business; but outside of Houston, it's not the local phenomenon that was Scrivener's.

Alamo Heights Lumber Company was a favorite of mine. When most things were made in the USA, whatever it was, Alamo Heights Lumber had a part for it. Browsing the shelves there, poking into dusty, open boxes, you were likely to come across just the part you needed for any disabled appliance and gadget in your garage. The place was like a country store.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,442,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Scrivener's was ahead of it's time. Up market hardware store/boutiques have certainly multiplied. . The one in the middle of Sunset Ridge where Winn's once resided, comes to mind. Bering's is an old Texas family business; but outside of Houston, it's not the local phenomenon that was Scrivener's.

Alamo Heights Lumber Company was a favorite of mine. When most things were made in the USA, whatever it was, Alamo Heights Lumber had a part for it. Browsing the shelves there, poking into dusty, open boxes, you were likely to come across just the part you needed for any disabled appliance and gadget in your garage. The place was like a country store.
I loved scrivener's and then Berings also, they both had the old time feeling. I remember going the last few weeks it was open, and the little place to eat reminded me of a place inside of the joske's downtown.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:10 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,146,102 times
Those nifty cheese wafers at Scrivener's Tea Room, were to die for. Thank goodness my MIL has the recipe, and makes me a coffee can full, for Christmas every year. I have the recipe, but still can't make them nice & round like hers!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 AM

15 posts, read 48,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I'll chase it down for us. While I love chasing down SA history through these archives, most of what is near and dear to my heart died commercially in the late 80's. After paying money and being denied access to content from this time, I'm a little pi$$ed. I don't mind paying more money, but I want access to ALL the content I am interested in. I get a little relentless about this stuff.
This is a relief to hear about your troubles with news archive- I thought there was some type of "user failure" on my part. Really looking forward to if/when you find more information. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM

45 posts, read 149,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Man I loved that Ole Rock House. I had forgotten about it. Speaking of Blackies. Anybody get their Hair Cut at Big and Littles on Pleasenton. The Barbers Name were Pete and Blackie.
Big & Little's - That's the only place my father ever got his hair cut. Even after we moved down here in '76 he would make the drive up there for his hair cuts. He did that up until his death in 2007. Rmemeber the house that was where the Church's Chicken is down the road from the barber shop? What about Gerfer's Flowers?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM

I remember the Flower Shop, Not to sure what house you mean. What about the Eight Ball Beer Joint??

Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM

Wasn't it on the corner? The kindergarten I went to (on Mayfield - I just remembered the street name) was a couple of houses to the left. In the area around Church's there was only 1 house left (think it's gone now). I'm trying to remember the name of the little bakery that all of my birthday cakes use to come from - the best butter cream icing and the lemon puffs were to die for. How about Formosa Ice House, at the corner of Formosa and Commercial?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Yep the Formosa Ice House. My Grandmas boy friend, would take me there and buy me a snack, While he sipped on a few Brews.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Rode my bicycle down there many a time to buy candy - lived right up the road. Best friend lived a few houses further down. She would ride to my house and we would head out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio