Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 04:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,300,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Once at Naples, Ralph Broncuzio (sp), sat down to visit with my father. I dropped an Adam's plastic-fly-in-an-ice-cube in my dad's water. He took a drink, and told Ralph, who in his customary fashion, loudly berated the entire wait staff. I didn't know until then that a customer service problem was Ralph's short fuse.

Rehash: Ralph was chief chef at Valerio's. They had a culinary "disagreement", Ralph quit, opened the first Naples in the 3600 block of Broadway. If you parked in the lot in back, you entered the dining room through the kitchen. I don't know what year Naples opened, but my dad said the first time he walked in from across the street, he asked for a cheese sandwich, and Ralph yelled at him about dining neapolitan. That may be a stretch, because my grandfather would often ask if a diner had "pie like my mother used to make". When the waitress replied, "We sure do, Hon.", he would ask for a cheese sandwich.

I took my first dinner date there in high school. Called and made reservations for two. When I stepped to the register to pay, I was told by the cashier (maybe Ralph's wife or sister?), that "it was taken care of". I thought my father had done it. But later he denied it. Ralph must've seen the last name on the reservation list, thought my parents were dining, and seeing me and my date realized it had been many years since the fly-in-the-plastic-ice-cube.

I believe at one time Ralph's son was a school teacher.

Is The Barn Door still open? And is anyone old enough to remember Tom's Tackle Shop on Blanco (I think) south of Basse, later in a strip mall on San Pedro. Run by a letter carrier named Tom Culwell.
The Barn Door is still open on North New Braunfels. They actually opened up a new location near Sea World, but that didn't make it. I ate there once, and it was not the same atmosphere as the origirnal and the food just wasn't as good.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 PM

139 posts, read 504,772 times
Did anyone used to Fish or In their teenage Years, watch the Submarine Races at Pecan Valley Park?

Last edited by hhwolfman; 12-11-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Did anyone used to Fish or In their teenage Years, watch the Submarine Races at Pecan Valley Park?
What year was this? Sounds facinating!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 AM

139 posts, read 504,772 times
LOL I used to fish there in the 70's and Park there in the 80's. It was a nice place.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:15 AM

Default Lyndy's The Great Indoors

Many of us remember and probably lament the existance of Lyndy's on Fredericksburg. it was a great little bar that lasted for such a long time. For those who remember this place, this is for you (gotta love the fern bar):
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lyndys.pdf (163.2 KB, 371 views)

Old 12-13-2008, 01:26 AM

In researching various forgotten SA hotspots, I have frequently stumbled upon references to a place called "Wishing Well Manor". It was on Nacodoches outside of Alamo Heights back in the 30's. There is ample record of this place, but before I dig in too deep, does anybody remember anything about this place?

Old 12-13-2008, 01:41 AM

Fox photo has been barely mentioned here. How many remember these little drive-up Kiosks? They were based in San Antonio, and revolutionized the consumer photographic market in the US, so much so that Kodack had to aquire them in the mid 1980's.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,376,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Fox photo has been barely mentioned here. How many remember these little drive-up Kiosks? They were based in San Antonio, and revolutionized the consumer photographic market in the US, so much so that Kodack had to aquire them in the mid 1980's.
I remember Fox Photo...and spent a LOT of money there.

Remember Toudouze? Wasn't there a camera place named Toudouze Camera STore? I'm hearing some cheezy jingle in my head about "clickety click at Toudouze". Am I dreaming?

Wasn't there a Toudouze Furniture store as well?

I don't think I ever patronized either.....I just remember advertising.

GW.....I vaguely remember some reference to the Wishing Well Manor. I've driven that part of Nac a million times and for some reason I'm thinking there is some business or school along there that has retained that name or something to do with a "Wishing Well"....?? Again...maybe just dreaming!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:45 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,376,362 times
GW.....I found a reference to the location and a picture. It looks like it might have been a home that was converted to a restaurant or lodge of some sort. The picture is very faded, but it looks stucco and sort of a Spanish Mission style building. The directions say that it was two miles up Nac from Broadway on the right hand side of the road (going North).

Oh...it was purchased by G.A. Ball in 1946....not sure if that was a new owner, or if he purchased it from someone who had already established the restaurant.

I'll be very interested to hear what you find out about it. It looks very interesting.

The area that I mentioned in my post above would be outside 410 and not in the right location....so that answers the "dreaming" question!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 AM

237 posts, read 851,935 times
Where is Pecan Valley Park? At first I thot you meant the Lions park below Highlands HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio