Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 03:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,339 times

Advertisements

I finnally found a somewhat decent picture of the interior of one of the rooms in the old Algo Diferente. Looks like a lobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-ad-small.jpg  

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM

139 posts, read 504,317 times
I just thought of an old Truck Stop, I used to eat at, on my way to see my Grandpa, IN Pleasenton. It was called Bob Jones.Great Breakfast. I can't remember the Road it was on. It was outside 410 Maybe on Rosevelt. Do not confuse it with Bud Jones, another great place for chicken fried steak and fried fish.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
I Knew it smelled real bad, when I went out by it. I heard this about the sewage. How did they do it, some kind of pipeline, trucks??? I wonder why this was decided. Looks like it could have been a great Place.
HH....I honestly don't know the details about how this evolved, but it goes WAY back. Some of the Cassin family owned property in that area before the "lake" was made. It was sort of a lowland swampy bog anyway and not much use to them. The "heirs" Quit claimed their portion under the "lake" and noted that at the time of inheritance, the land was already being used for "sewage use". This was back in the 20's I believe. The rest is history that apparently got much worse! Not my cup of tea to research, but still interesting to know how these things evolved. Once the county owned it, the nightmare started.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
[quote=GWhopper;6410213]When did Captain Jim's close?

I found this list on the internet from the 2006 KLRN Community Advisory board and it lists a Juan Mancha as the owner of Captain Jim's restaurant.

That's not the Capt' Jim's it's a Fried Chicken place that used to be attached to the side of the Restaurant! The Restaurant was gone about 86' or 87' I believe! The Chicken place owned by the fellow mentioned moved into another bldg across Military Dr. about 1/2 a block north!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I finnally found a somewhat decent picture of the interior of one of the rooms in the old Algo Diferente. Looks like a lobby.
Great photo GW!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
I just thought of an old Truck Stop, I used to eat at, on my way to see my Grandpa, IN Pleasenton. It was called Bob Jones.Great Breakfast. I can't remember the Road it was on. It was outside 410 Maybe on Rosevelt. Do not confuse it with Bud Jones, another great place for chicken fried steak and fried fish.
Bob Jones Cafe & Truck Stop it was on Roosevelt about 1/2 mile north of 410. Inside 410 I knew some of this family. I've yet to completely understand but Bob Jones and Bud Jones and Bobby's cafe on S. Flores all had a family connection! That old cafe served a lot of meals. Seemed to be opened and closed a lot over the years! Truck stop is long gone but yet another proprietor has opened the cafe! Late 60's or early 70's the owners son just back from Vietnam was killed out front, hit by a truck!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Was this Albert Friedrich's (wifes?) house?? Wasn't there 2 brothers (I'm losing my memory) Albert owned the Buckhorn Saloon ...which one owned Friedrich Air Conditioning? They used to build ammo boxes for WWII and many wooden things. This was on the top of Commerce behind the city cemeteries which was once called "Powder Hill" I believe in civil war times. Where the old Friedrich plant was! I was in Olla Friedrich's house in early 80's. She was in Terrell Hills , forget which street, 2 or 3 blks north of Burr Rd. She was pretty elderly probably sister of Friedrich A/C owner. She had a great massive wooden pool table and massive wooden coffee table. I'll bet they came from this Algo Diferente. Her daughter married Rogers of Shavano Park lands and area. They have now regained ownership of the new Buckhorn Hall of Horns! Long story If I just had more memory!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 PM

139 posts, read 504,317 times
Yep It was inside the loop. I remember a lot of stuff, Just not the details to well. My memory is not as good as your and you are 10 years older than me.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Was this Albert Friedrich's (wifes?) house?? Wasn't there 2 brothers (I'm losing my memory) Albert owned the Buckhorn Saloon ...which one owned Friedrich Air Conditioning? They used to build ammo boxes for WWII and many wooden things. This was on the top of Commerce behind the city cemeteries which was once called "Powder Hill" I believe in civil war times. Where the old Friedrich plant was! I was in Olla Friedrich's house in early 80's. She was in Terrell Hills , forget which street, 2 or 3 blks north of Burr Rd. She was pretty elderly probably sister of Friedrich A/C owner. She had a great massive wooden pool table and massive wooden coffee table. I'll bet they came from this Algo Diferente. Her daughter married Rogers of Shavano Park lands and area. They have now regained ownership of the new Buckhorn Hall of Horns! Long story If I just had more memory!
Oh man...satx...you're gonna make me pull out my notes! Look out! LOL!

J/K....just off the top....I think there were several Alberts....but yes, they were all in the fam.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 AM

237 posts, read 851,036 times
satx56's comment "This was on the top of Commerce behind the city cemeteries which was once called "Powder Hill" I believe in civil war times." This is wants a little clarification so here goes. That part of the old municipal cemeteries south of Commerce St. and north of Peidmont St. was/is known as "Powder House Hill". That is because there was, once upon a time, two very historic structures there that had been built by the Spanish many years earlier. One was a three story stone watch tower("la garita") which served for look out around the region for approaching enemies, from hostile Indians to revolutionary Texicans. The other building, the Powder House was a bunker for storing weapons and gun powder and was in use until the Civil War by the US Army. The two buildings were eventually knocked down so people could reuse the cut stone for houses, fences or whatever. Nothing remains of them now but the name Powder House Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio