Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 08:41 PM

35 posts, read 116,010 times

Advertisements

At 1010 S.W.W. White Rd. was a good BBQ place called Rex's BBQ. I went
there in the 60's and 70's, not sure when they closed but it's a tire shop now. Across the street is the Lone Oak Mall which at one time had a
Kress and a Western Auto. South of the mall was the original location
of the Frank J. Dobie post office, the bldg has since been levelled.
2 blocks north of Rigsby on W.W.White there was a big grocery store
called Food City, later it became a Super S. The bldg is still there but
has been vacant for at least 10 years. jg1208

Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Small World!

Who did you hang out with?

jocks,cheerleaders,nerds,heads,etc ...,or like me, a little of all (did go to a lot of concerts and DID INHALE !

Loved getting paroled out of ClarkAtraz! Best day of my life leaving those imposing brick walls.

Wish it different, but I hated all of my public school experience.

Didn't help that I had to work my butt off at Handy Andy to drive a P.O.S.Car while these rich kids (including the guy I talk about above) drove nice new cars. The green monster was a ***** when the new porsches, bmws, mercs, etc would pull into the parking lot.

crazedchef

crazedchef
Yeah, I hanged out with all kinds. My freshman year I hanged out a lot with headbangers and new wavers, the last three years I hung out with a group that consisted of a pretty diverse mix.

I do remember running from "deputy dog" and sneaking in and out of school a lot. One time we skipped out, went to a friends place, drank half a bottle of Jim Beam, then sneaked back in wasted out of our minds. Those were the days.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Yeah, I hanged out with all kinds. My freshman year I hanged out a lot with headbangers and new wavers, the last three years I hung out with a group that consisted of a pretty diverse mix.

I do remember running from "deputy dog" and sneaking in and out of school a lot. One time we skipped out, went to a friends place, drank half a bottle of Jim Beam, then sneaked back in wasted out of our minds. Those were the days.
I also had a buddy of mine who worked at Handy Andy drove a green ford something that we all refered to as the Green POS. He graduated in 88, though.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:34 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,376,362 times
Anyone have any pictures of Alamo and Market Street BEFORE the Hilton was built for Hemisfair? I'm looking specifically for the West side of Alamo St where the Hilton actually sits....South of Market on down to La Villita. The earlier the better!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,134,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzCam View Post
I lived in San Antonio in the mid 60's. My favorite radio stations, both rock, were KTSA 550 and KONO (I think 860). I remember a DJ named Ricky Ware on KTSA. I was walking home from school one day and saw his son who exclaimed, "My Father is Ricky Ware!" Being the mean little brat that I was, I told him I listened to KONO. KTSA was a great radio station during that time period. I am sure KTSA is now a "talk" station. What a waste! We received snow one winter enough to cover the ground. KTSA would give out rewards, (can't remember what they were), if you wrote KTSA in the snow on your front lawn and they drove by and saw it.
One of Ricci's sons, Trey, is the AM drive DJ on KTSA.

Ricci still does a weekly show on Sunday evenings from 5-7. I checked it out last night and noticed that it seems to be heavily focused on reminiscing. Folks in this thread might enjoy checking it out.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,696,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Anyone have any pictures of Alamo and Market Street BEFORE the Hilton was built for Hemisfair? I'm looking specifically for the West side of Alamo St where the Hilton actually sits....South of Market on down to La Villita. The earlier the better!
PBS-KLRN did a really nice documentary series on Hemisfair..they show lots of old footage and photos. I believe you can order the DVD from their website. They talk quite a bit about the neighborhood and catholic church that was displaced by hemisfair. I know they go into the Hilton and how it was built in record time..so maybe you might find your evidence there?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 AM

64 posts, read 431,372 times
Here are some postcards showing the interior of Valerio's and the exterior of Christie's.

And then La Louisiane, both exterior and interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-valerios.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-christies.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-la-louisiane-exterior.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-la-louisiane-interior.jpg  

Last edited by DickZ; 12-08-2008 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,887,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
H. B. Zachry offices may be able to help you. They built the cubicles the Hilton was constructed with. I watched them being built! I lived just around the corner from the pre fab yard!! Not sure if they assembled the cubicles on site. I would assume they did!! Their address will be on Logwood St. Their Headquarters is bordered on north side by Grosvenor St. just south of the Mayan Theaters!! Don't know how helpful or friendly they'll be!!

http://www.zachry.com/contact.htm

Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
H. B. Zachry offices may be able to help you. They built the cubicles the Hilton was constructed with. I watched them being built! I lived just around the corner from the pre fab yard!! Not sure if they assembled the cubicles on site. I would assume they did!! Their address will be on Logwood St. Their Headquarters is bordered on north side by Grosvenor St. just south of the Mayan Theaters!! Don't know how helpful or friendly they'll be!!

Zachry Construction Corporation - construction, project management, industrial maintenance and project management
Gosh satx....I will call them. I'm more interested in what was there BEFORE they started building....but they may have a file with that kind of records.

I'll also check out that video Primo. Our friend BudB has some interesting info too!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
Here are some postcards showing the interior of Valerio's and the exterior of Christie's.

And then La Louisiane, both exterior and interior.

Great postcards and pictures. That B&W picture of La L....looks so old. Anyone know how long it was around? The last time I was there was probably 1972 and it had been redone from that picture. A little more formal as I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio