Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM

237 posts, read 851,087 times

Advertisements

Dwangle you are correct about KENS picking up the live feed from KTBC in Austin when Whitman was shooting from the UT tower here in Austin. I was at UT then but not on campus that day and the next several weeks were really weird. Tourists wandered around campus sometimes with kids in two taking snapshots of all the blood stains and bullet holes like they were at Disneyland or someplace similar. I'm glad you confirmed my recollection of the Alamo Natl. Bank jumper and can only imagine how odd it must have seemed to a child watching it on TV. But your mention of the Flambeau parade brings back many happier memories as that truly is a special event and more so for children. One of my earliest memories in life is standing with my mom watching that parade go by at about age 3 or 4. Sadly though your mention of live broadcast also brings back the time in the late 1970s or early '80s when a nut started shooting people on Broadway I think as the Battle of Flowers parade was in its beginning stretch. I lived in Austin by then so can't recall the details but saw the aftermath on tv that afternoon. San Antonio is a wonderfully historic and beautiful city with fantastic people but it has always had more than its fair share of violence, murder and mayhem for reasons hard to understand. I lost a fiancee and a dear friend, both murdered within a few years of each other, in San Antonio which had something to do with moving to Austin. Unfortunately Austin is catching up in terms of such mindless tragedy as our world gets more and more crowded. But the recent posts about the great hamburgers to be had at Burger Boy, etc. gives me hope. Btw, can anyone recommend a good place for puffy tacos in SA other than Henry's as they are non-existent in Austin. Adios amigos, Bud

Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 20,766 times
yes i remember the shooter,i believe his name was ira attaberry,strange to remember that.remember playland park to,we used to go to the sonic right next door.i remember seeing the roller coaster,that i think was later rebuilt somewhere else.i saw it on discovery channel few years back.they put the old coaster in a rollacoaster hall of fame park.something about biggest wooden coaster of its time.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 PM

remember the old churchill/robert e. lee rivalry,rich kids vs. redneck kids.lol.remember image,the dance club at wonderland mall?how about murfs better burger on san pedro,also another one in front of wonderland.the san pedro murfs was in the johnny b.good movie with micheal anthony hall and iron man guy.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Default san antonio in the 80s

***image dance club at wonderland mall,right next to the radioshack/tandy leather store.***the buppets"its so easyyy,when you take the bussss,via-via!***san antonio metal band"RITUAL"ended up at one of thyre practices once,,i remember they were friendly to me,good guys,then i saw them open for metal church at the cameo theatre.HOMETOWN BOYS MAKE GOOD!!!***the drive inn on fred. road,the walls werent high enough toward the back of each lot,so if you looked to the right,you could see half the x-rated screen next lot over***easter egg hunts at northwest plaza on fred. road,there is a grassy courtyard behind the stores,the eggs had gift certificates for stores in the plaza(walgreens,panchos buffet,whites hardware etc.)***kiddie land park,which ive heard has a new name,those little hand crank train carts at the back of the park,i loved those thing,be honest,how many of you still want one of those in your backyard?lol.ohhh,and the boat circle ride with the bells,man,that was livin!!!!***and, the one,the only,the godfather of metal,JOE ANTHONY!!!back in the days of tape trading,he turned s.a. kids on to so many new bands...him and tape trading are how we first heard metallica some 25 years ago.***the mr.m store on braun road by braun station(which was the only store on braun road then)***g.w. juniors,which allways had a churches chicken right next door***the old set of eagle trains at brackenridge park in the 70s,i read somewhere that they sold them to another park out of state.***the bone club by the airport***the pre-goth kids at north star mall(they are not punks,too clean and neat,and northstar was the rich-kid mall then)***devils den,which was a bmx track in leon valley in an old rock quarry next to deer run subdivision..........

Old 03-21-2009, 05:54 PM

hey 940,you are a treasure trove of knowledge!!!you make me remember things......i went to marshall high,grew up on leslie road,which parralelled 1604 from 471,all the way to braun road.so they built another h.s. eh?cause i remember when they built w.h. taft and moved alot of us from marshall.growing up in this area,you knew all the famalies that everything in the area was named for.i rode the school bus with the galms,my nextdoor nieghbors were the braun/gass families.the tauches?sp,had a top soil operation 5 fields down,they musta made alot of money cause i remember seeing vernons truck get bigger yr. after yr.evrybody in helotes must remember his truck,it was the biggest yellow 4x4 anyone had at that time.was el chapperal the restaurant in the handy andy center,or was it the one on the hill off the right side off the road going out to the hills.i think some the kids that rode our bus parents were cooking for that place,the name was robles.the one restaurant next to handy andy had the best puffy tacos!!!used to go to dans alot,get tires fixed,buy some snacks,that was the place back then.the other closest store to us back then was the mr,m on braun road,and i remember a midget couple worked there for a few years,and they were very nice.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 PM

15 posts, read 121,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Are you referring to Floore's Country Store? Where there was a $200 fine for fighting?

Yep I sure was!
I used to travel from out Ne side, Randolph Air force base just to get some chili, beer and quiet solitude from Flores Store.
That new owner ruined the county ambiance of it.

We used to go there in the daytime during the week, not on party nights.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Trying to catch up a little here.
You folks have covered a lot of territory.

Bowling Alleys, AutoMobile DealerShips, Whitman, JFK's visit....

you do know that
Charles Harrellson was one of the hobo/snipers on the Grassy Knoll........
right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFunny1 View Post
Whew, still wading through two years of postings,
so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

Newt Godfrey Chevrolet was downtown on Main,
by Roy Akers Funeral Chapel.
It later became Ancira-Winton Chevrolet.

PJ, actually Newt Godfrey's was on N. Flores,
NW corner of Martin, one block east of Main Ave.

In 1964, one Sunday when my brother and I were supposedly in church,
I was driving the families 57 Chevrolet south on Blanco Rd
approaching the intersection of Weizman.

I had my eyeballs trained on a couple of good looking chicks
coming out of the BowleRama of Texas.

When I forced myself to look out the windshield again,
the light was red, and, there was a car stopped about ten feet ahead.

Completely trashed the entire front clip of the 57.
It had been purchased new by my dad at Mike Persia Chevrolet,
which was located in the shadow of the Transit Tower there on South St Marys.
I think Cat mistakenly labeled Bud's Postcard as North St. Marys.

So anyway, I inherited the wreck and we went car shopping for a new family sled.
I wanted them to get the GTO from Tindall Pontiac
NW corner of San Pedro and Olmos.
389 - 3 dueces - 4 on the floor - etc etc

We wound up getting a 65 Impala SS 327 from Newt Godfrey's.
(side note - the salesman and his family became friends of our family.
That's how we got the free tickets to Teen Fair,
and got to hear The Rolling Stones at Joe FreeMan Coliseum.
1964, it was their second ever US appearance.)

I hotRodded the 6 cylinder 57 for a few years,
and in 66 or 7 went to Mike Persia's,
which by now was Ormsby Chevrolet, (I think, or maybe Dumas Milner),
and bought a 365 horse 327 crate motor for the 57.
Remember Little Green Valley.

HerMann Son's Bowling was a couple blocks South, in a basement.

Back to the corner of Flores and Martin,
by now operated as AnCira Winton
in about 1974 my dad bought a new CorVette 454, white with Red Leather.
He always paid cash and wanted to drive it right out.

They said he couldn't do that cause it needed to be prepped
so he said he wanted his money back.
They changed their *tune* quick, and he took off.
Ran out of gas twice that night cause it was getting about 3 MPG.

Took it in the next day and let them prep it.
They *tuned* it up to about 7 or 8 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Funny you should mention the S. Hackberry site of A. J. Ploch's.
Remember how it actually sat on a short nameless ally with its back toward Hackberry?
Last fall I tried to find it after having some enchiladas at Brown's just down the street.
I found the alley but no sign of an old gas station which is sort of what I expected.
Even when it was operating you had to know where it was to find it.
Places like that are mostly a thing of the past as there are very few true filling stations left anymore.

Bud, for a while I lived on Dorothy St in a house directly across that alley from Ploch's.

That was the year it snowed thirteen inches in one night.

At that time it was called Norman's Garage.
Norman was a really nice guy, and an expert mechanic.
I think maybe son of AJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millspring View Post
Somewhere on this forum, I think I ran across an aerial view of Fredericksburg Rd. (1920's - 1930's ish)
and someone had labeled some of the places in red.
I have searched everywhere and now I can't find it.
Can someone point me to it?

Thanks!!!

Mills, I posted that photo here quite a while back

mud..........

Old 03-25-2009, 11:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
King Mud!!! Glad to see you back!!! We need your memory here!

Thanks for clarifying my error on the N. St Mary's street label by Mike Persia's Car Dealership. It was definitely South St Mary's.

Gosh...I have a million questions for you....haha! I'll have to start writing them down. Got a minute?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times
Mud great pic I have seen that pic a few times and wondering is that stretch of road on Fred Rd outside loop 410?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM

237 posts, read 851,087 times
Bud to Mud, thanks for confirming my fuzzy recall of Norman's/Plough's Filling Station sitting on the ally off Hackberry between Schley and Hampshire. I just Googled your Dorothy St. and saw that it is still just one block long and realized that its location put you just down Hackberry south from Drexel St. and the old Boys Club that I wrote in about a month or two back. Did you ever go there when it was operating? The building is still there and looks the same mostly, except that it is now apparently a warehouse or maintenance shops/offices for SAISD. Adios for now, BudB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio