Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,442,877 times

Advertisements

Great picture wonder if anyone else has any other pictures of JFK in SA.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 PM

86 posts, read 394,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
Here is the pic of my mother and JFK on November 21, 1963.
What a fantastic picture, SAnativegirl! Sure wish I could have seen JFK that day. I remember listening to his speech he made from Brooks AFB; we all sat on the gym floor at Rogers Jr. High to hear it. I was in the 8th grade.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,303,763 times
Just found out there are two more restaurants joining the list of Gone But Not Forgotten in SA:

-Rio Mamba (Primo has some info on this)
-Boccones (on West ave. and Bitters) Can't say that I will miss them, their food didn't really appeal to me, but I will miss their Bambino Huey dessert.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM

129 posts, read 513,479 times
Yes, I believe that's the building. We went to check it out a few years ago and I remember the parking lot across the street. What I meant to say is it's a photo studio now, not sure what it was back then. DH still trying to figure that out. Can anyone read the writing on the building? DH says his dad told him he landed at intl airport on NS, took Broadway South to Houston St., through downtwn, dont know name of street, down to Brooks AirForce Base, where his dad shook his hand, on to plane to Ft Worth.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 PM

172 posts, read 469,236 times
Awesome post Taco. I stayed up late this weekend and I read the whole thing.
Here is another article about Dr. Urratia that I read a few months ago.
Dr. Aureliano Urrutia's Gates, the forgotten San Antonio.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,550,697 times
I just thought of something. How did the Limo get to San Antonio and where was it before? How did it get to Dallas? It is the same Limo isn't it? Did someone drive it up I35 to Dallas or was it possibly transported in an Air Force cargo plane?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,383,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I just thought of something. How did the Limo get to San Antonio and where was it before? How did it get to Dallas? It is the same Limo isn't it? Did someone drive it up I35 to Dallas or was it possibly transported in an Air Force cargo plane?
My guess would be the latter. Interesting question!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,643 times
Default terrell wells store

wow! i remember this store! my family moved to terrell wells in 1969. when i would walk home after school, i would always stop at the store for a soda. the sign outside read Terrell Wells Grocery Store. It was situated in a large white 2 story brick building that had the words Terrell Wells Community Center in large red lettering painted on the south side of the building . it was right next to the vfw. the community center is gone now but the vfw is still there. across the street was the terrell wells barber shop where i would get my hair cut. i sure do miss that main street feeling on commercial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
I think being sulfur fed was "before my time". I did go swimming there alot. Then I wonder - I remember getting really bad headaches and puking my guts out when I got home from the pool. I do know I am allergic to sulfa drugs . As for the old rock at the corner by Terrell Wells Junior High - The last name of the family that lived there was Berry. Mr. Berry had a little store on Commercial. If you leave the swimming pool and go to the red light at Commercial and Hutchins and go right, Mr. Berry's store was on the left. It was a long building (I think the VFW was there, too). Don't know if the building is still there. The Berry's had a daughter my age but for the life of me I can't remember her name. Older kids, too. My grandfather and Mr. Berry we pretty good friends. Pa would go up to the store and visit with him regularly. I would tag along. Had a treasure trove of 10 cent toys. Anyone remember the little red plastic bowl with a packet of powder you mixed with water then put the little squares of paper in and they "developed" into pictures? Or the wonderful glass bead necklaces you bought at Ben Franklin by Piggly Wiggly for 20 cents? Or (here's a good one you had to be there to know about it) the tree by the backstop at the rear of Vestal Elementary playground the had a big hollow area in the center? Or the Vestal Halloween carnivals?

Last edited by Arturo Ramos; 03-15-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 12:07 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,260,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
These days the limo, along with other vehicles used in the motorcade, are indeed transported by an Air Force cargo plane.

I would assume it was done the same way in 1963.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM

81 posts, read 232,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgito View Post
Awesome post Taco. I stayed up late this weekend and I read the whole thing.
Here is another article about Dr. Urratia that I read a few months ago.
Dr. Aureliano Urrutia's Gates, the forgotten San Antonio.

I had run across that also. It's a great piece of San Antonio History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio