Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 PM

237 posts, read 851,161 times

Advertisements

I too want to know where the foto pages are that members refer to occasionally. I have a couple old Joskes images to share including one of "Big Mo" the parking lot "train." It was actually some type of tractor dressed to resemble an old time locomotive and it pulled a half dozen covered trailers with benches. Joske's ran it on weekends and Christmas shopping season so Joske's customers didn't have to walk so far across the huge parking lot behind the store. One of my fondest memories of Joske's is the "milk bar" down stairs in the basement right next to the stair case. It only sold milk shakes & malts that probably weren't that special but memory tells me they were the best.

Last edited by BudB; 02-21-2009 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: add details

Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 42,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
John L's cafe was owned and operated for over 50 years by a husband and wife team named John and Dora Leung. They are featured in two books I've written, Chinese Heart of Texas; San Antonio's Chinese Community 1875-1975 and the newest is San Antonio; Then, Now & Always both with fotos of John and Dora in the restaurant. John passed away some years ago but Dora is still around and as always is a huge Spurs fan/season ticket holder. She made all the great pies they offered at John L's and will be glad to learn that you mentioned their fine cafe here. She finally closed the place in 2005 and it is truly missed a lot by many loyal customers.
Great post! I've got the 2 links noted above open in separate windows that I'm reading right now. I especially like "Chinese Heart of Texas". Great cover photo. I've definitely got to check out that book, as I've always been interested in Chinese history in SA. Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 42,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberglabs View Post
Hi guys,

Does anyone remember the name of the disco club that was behind San Francisco Steak House in the early 70's..... Also, the Warehouse club, I think on Braniff near the SA Airport? The Quarter House on Main Street by SAC. Had foosball, wine, beer and popcorn......Fun safe places to hang out in another time.
The club behind SF Steakhouse was Halleluiah Hollywood. I visited the Warehouse once, but that was it. I was a frequent visitor to the Quarter House in its heyday during '75, I think. That's where I discovered hot chicks, air hockey, etc.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:58 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhaven View Post
The club behind SF Steakhouse was Halleluiah Hollywood. I visited the Warehouse once, but that was it. I was a frequent visitor to the Quarter House in its heyday during '75, I think. That's where I discovered hot chicks, air hockey, etc.
I think that club went through a series of owners. I did visit there on weekend trips home from college, but it wasn't called Hallelujah Hollywood at that time. Not really bringing back a strong memory for me, however. I'll check back if I remember.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
I too want to know where the foto pages are that members refer to occasionally. I have a couple old Joskes images to share including one of "Big Mo" the parking lot "train." It was actually some type of tractor dressed to resemble an old time locomotive and it pulled a half dozen covered trailers with benches. Joske's ran it on weekends and Christmas shopping season so Joske's customers didn't have to walk so far across the huge parking lot behind the store. One of my fondest memories of Joske's is the "milk bar" down stairs in the basement right next to the stair case. It only sold milk shakes & malts that probably weren't that special but memory tells me they were the best.
Hey Budb.....here's the link to the page -----> https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

It's at the top of the SA CD Forum page attached with a sticky under general info. If you click on it from that direction the top post had a clickable link just for photos. There are a LOT....so enjoy! And we'll patiently wait for yours! Keep us posted!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 AM

3 posts, read 9,198 times
The short guy you are thinking about who also worked at Three Bears is Bob Mayo who went to school on the South side at McCollum HS.
Ray was about 6'tall and drove a GTX.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 17,336 times
Does anyone remember Centeno? There was one off of Pleasanton Rd that had that sweet smelling bakery in the middle. One side was groceries and that other was like clothes, from what I remember. It is an Asian Flea Market now.
There was also another one in the west side off of Guadalupe Street, I think, it had a bright neon green sign. They had great pan de dulce too.

I also used to love going to Winn's and begging my mom for a gold fish.

I also faintly remember there being a Sears downtown, probably where the orange San Antonio Library is now. It had levels and one had a huge robot in the middle that you would insert a quarter or a coin and it would give you a prize. I remember being scared of it. Am I sane or was that some figment of my imagination or a dream?

San Antonio was a great place to grow up in but the Army took me away and I never made it back...YET! Plus, it is too cold in Denver.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:16 PM

62 posts, read 149,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The San Antonio Historic Preservation web site list (http://epay.sanantonio.gov/historic/listscreen.aspx - broken link) said the Humble Oil station was at 1019 Laredo Street South...and when I looked it up on Maps.Live.Com, it showed it; but on GoogleEarth it looks like the building is gone. Does anyone know if it is still standing?

Cheers! M2
Here it is: 78205 - Google Maps

Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
I am sure alot of people will tell you that it is still alive and well

Old 02-28-2009, 08:57 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Greyhound View Post
Thanks, I actually found it not long after I posted that (it's been a while! ) and got some pics. I can't believe it hasn't been restored, but we have since seen other Humble Oil stations during our travels. I believe there is one in Seguin or Gonzales, we visited both one Saturday and I took these pictures although I can't remember which town it was in...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/th_IMG_0171.jpg (broken link) http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/th_IMG_0172.jpg (broken link)
(Click on thumbnail for full-sized pics)

As these pictures were taken between our visit to the jail in Seguin and the museum in Gonzales, I can't say for sure where they were taken; but as you can clearly see it is another Humble Oil station!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio