Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM

22 posts, read 72,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else remember the bowling alley that was located behind North Star mall? It was roughly in the middle of that street (where everything else on the street except the mall is on the south half). I went there once in 1981 or 1982. But I have no idea how long it existed before or after that. It had very modern computerized scoring for its time.
Wow...everything has come full circle for me now, as San Pedro Bowl was what brought me to this thread in the first place. I grew up in the neighborhood just east of McCullough from North Star Mall. I remember one of the neighbor kids telling me that their house had been the first one on the block in 1959, and that his parents had pictures that showed that the only thing out there besides their house was the San Pedro Bowl. (Pre-North Star Mall) It amuses me that his parents were told they were "crazy" for moving that far north.....a neighborhood that seems more like the geographical center of town now! I am looking for pictures like this from around 1959, but that tells me that the bowling alley dates back at least to that time. I can't tell you the year it was torn down, as I had already moved away from SA.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,700,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFunny1 View Post
Wow...everything has come full circle for me now, as San Pedro Bowl was what brought me to this thread in the first place. I grew up in the neighborhood just east of McCullough from North Star Mall. I remember one of the neighbor kids telling me that their house had been the first one on the block in 1959, and that his parents had pictures that showed that the only thing out there besides their house was the San Pedro Bowl. (Pre-North Star Mall) It amuses me that his parents were told they were "crazy" for moving that far north.....a neighborhood that seems more like the geographical center of town now! I am looking for pictures like this from around 1959, but that tells me that the bowling alley dates back at least to that time. I can't tell you the year it was torn down, as I had already moved away from SA.
My office used to be in that area betweeb 99 and 2003, I am fairly sure San Pedro Bowl and the Churches Fried Chicken in the parking lot was torn down around 02 or 03.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM

45 posts, read 149,867 times
No, HHW unfortunately I haven't quite located that time machine yet (still looking though!!!). BudB's daughter is soon to be where I am. Nursing work never ends, just when you get to this level it's alot of paper (thanks to state & fed regs), but still love what I do. I've just called my mother-in-law and she is making me a copy of that recipe. I'll get it to ya'll as soon as I get it. I plan on being in SA on Thursday, February 12 (daughter who is a teacher has to attend a seminar) and plan on driving around "home". I want to see some of the places I've read about here that I never knew about (or was too young to know about).

Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,394,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan45 View Post
Here’s a pic from the tower looking at the old Joskes department store from 1968

Great photo Juan! Amazing that "Blum" St was still there in 68....the street that is running North and South along the East side of Joskes in the photo. It's now none existent and buried under shops. That street was right smack in the middle of the Alamo area activity dating back to some of the earliest city maps. And you got it on film! It's interesting to see that parking lot where the River Center Mall is now. That was a peach of a real estate deal!

More please?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Default The "History" Shop

I'm not sure it's still there, but just across Houston St North of the Alamo and by the Emily Morgan Hotel? (I think)...there is a little group of very old buildings.
I'm sure they date back to the turn of the century or before. One of them is called "The History Shop". But I have NEVER seen it open for business. Does anyone know anything about this little business? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM

469 posts, read 1,158,125 times
I've never seen it but I did find their website. You might email them to see about their hours...The History Shop index

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm not sure it's still there, but just across Houston St North of the Alamo and by the Emily Morgan Hotel? (I think)...there is a little group of very old buildings.
I'm sure they date back to the turn of the century or before. One of them is called "The History Shop". But I have NEVER seen it open for business. Does anyone know anything about this little business? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 9,213 times
Default Ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I knew the one by McCreless. There was never one on Military Drive,certainly not near the river anyway. Wolfman was thinking of Running Bear ice house/ beer joint. Did this Ray fellow work for Butter Krust? Dates sound about right.
Yes I believe Ray did work for Butter Krust after he left Three Bears.
Art

Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
I've never seen it but I did find their website. You might email them to see about their hours...The History Shop index
Thank you moeowo~ I have sent an email. They have been there so long and never opened, so it didn't occur to me to google them! I'm glad they have a web site at least....barely! But great photos and at least a glimpse of some wonderful maps!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:55 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,011,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art8326 View Post

Yes I believe Ray did work for Butter Krust after he left Three Bears.
Art
Well if he was a little short guy could have been an old neighbor!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 PM

469 posts, read 1,158,125 times
You're welcome! I noticed that about their website too...not much to it. I figured they would have at least had list their hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Thank you moeowo~ I have sent an email. They have been there so long and never opened, so it didn't occur to me to google them! I'm glad they have a web site at least....barely! But great photos and at least a glimpse of some wonderful maps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio