Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
The Studebaker dealership building still stands. It is a brown brick two story building close to those apartments that burned down last week. It was Sherman Electronics for years. Does anybody know anything about the Studebaker Dealership?
I may have something DW...let me check it out. Is that the awesome bldg on Main just north of I 35 and the library? Hasn't it just been renovated? I'm so glad it was restored and not torn down. (if it's the same bldg)

Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFunny1 View Post
Oh lord, now you're talking cars....my passion. I don't care if this has been answered already, I have to put in my two cents worth:

Burke Betts Oldsmobile (became Gunn)
Riata Cadillac
Jordan Ford
Mission Chevrolet
O.R. Mitchell Dodge (building is still there, would love to rehab it!)
Jack Reiger Chrysler Plymouth (San Pedro/Basse)
Main Lincoln Mercury
Superior Pontiac
American Motors on San Pedro, North of Hildebrand (can't remember name)
I recall all these !! Burke and Reiger would be the oldest I'm sure!! I was gonna mention the old AMC Rambler Dealer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFunny1 View Post
I don't remember a Northport, but went many times to Rollercade which is San Pedro and Jackson Keller, on a little street called Recoleta.
Funny, not finding many that recall Northporte or Northport Rollercade!! I knew it as that for many years!! The Old St. Mary's Roller rink is what I'd like some history on!!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The Studebaker dealership building still stands. It is a brown brick two story building close to those apartments that burned down last week. It was Sherman Electronics for years. Does anybody know anything about the Studebaker Dealership?
Been to Sherman's many times. Shame they closed! Decent old bldg. there. Always been curious as to original use of a bldg. on Alamo. Somewhere around third I think is a two or three story bldg. Corner lot with upper floors out nearer to street than lower floor. Upper part acting as cover for drive thru or bay like area. Haven't been past in years. I need to go check it out for better info!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 PM

[quote=BudB;7302470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Adolph Hofner, I grew up two streets away from his house. Right down an old alley from us. He lived on Sayers St. many many years. He had a brother over in Highlands!"
Yes indeed, Emil "Bash" Hofner lived on Candler St. right where McKinley ran into it. The Pearl Wranglers bus parked there a lot and I saw it many times because my grandparents lived one block west on McKinley.
And speaking of old radio stations, a really small one was KAPE the black owned all jazz station that began in the early 1960s. It sat in the small building behind the Main Post Office downtown, that is still there but the station is long gone. I think it was no commercials, FM when that was a new thing in San Antonio and a"Jazz Club" for us true believers. Can't recall how long it lasted since I moved to Austin to attend UT in 1966 and am still here. BudB
Emil, yep that's him! Think he was a bachelor may have had a son with him. He might have owned the house and just took up residence upstairs not needing much space! Emil appeared in better health back then than Adolph.
Speaking of Jazz Clubs . Wasn't it the "Landing" that was originally in the Nix Hospital Basement? It's at least rumored that Clint Eastwood and S.A. Architect O'Neil Ford frequented. They were buddies from what I've read. Ford lived right behind San Jose Mission as I grew up a couple blks away.
I think Ford's estate was auctioned off fairly recently!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 72,403 times
Quote:
Wasn't it Andy Ander's Rambler ?
That's it! You're good..........

Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 PM

22 posts, read 72,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Great story Faith, whatelse can you tell us about that area back in the 70's? Was sun harvest at the corner of Blanco and Lockhill Selma already there?
That was originally a Foodway Grocery Store.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM

237 posts, read 851,264 times
Default Ooooooops!

[quote=satx56;7304587][quote=BudB;7302470]
"Emil, yep that's him!"
Emil's nickname "Bash" was short for bashful since he was a shy guy since childhood. You're probably correct as to The Landing's original digs but by jazz club, I meant an on air club whose members were serious jazz fans. As I recall, this included a numbered membership card that was useful for winning tickets and discounted cover charges.
Gene Spires Buick was another downtown car dealer whose showroom was on Broadway at 4th, again if my so called memory is correct; or was that Orsinger? Once about 1960 I visited the old Main Lincoln-Merc dealer with my dad when he was the proud owner of a new 1959 gold Mercury Monterey in for its 1,000 mile check. While waiting for the car I wandered around the showroom looking at the latest models and was naturally drawn to a big, brand new pink Continental Mark IV. With windows down it was impossible not to lean in and look while inhaling that unmistakable new car smell, so I leaned far into the passenger side front cabin and soaked it up. Stepping back I noticed a vertical scratch about four inches long just below the window frame. Surprised at first then scared nearly out of my skin because there was now pink paint on my western style belt buckle, i ambled out the front door holding my breath for the next half hour until we left. I've never told this story before so let me first apologize profusely for the wee mishap now nearly 50 years ago that still causes me much guilt and to swear that I never leaned into another new car again.

Last edited by BudB; 02-03-2009 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: add detail

Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM

139 posts, read 504,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Newt Godfree Chevrolet
Dumas Milner Chevrolet
Mike Persia Chevrolet Defunct auto dealerships!!
Tindall Pontiac anymore?
Orsinger Buick
Gillespie Ford
Hello There, My SA Brother. Wasn't there a commercial, With an Indian Beating a drum, That went: Buy a Chevrolet from Persia, Mike Persia Chevrolet.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Hello There, My SA Brother. Wasn't there a commercial, With an Indian Beating a drum, That went: Buy a Chevrolet from Persia, Mike Persia Chevrolet.
I think that was Persia. I remember the jingle!! Should have been Tindall Pontiac's or whoever had the giant Indian! But, yeah Wolf nice memory!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 PM

[quote=BudB;7305782][quote=satx56;7304587]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
"Emil, yep that's him!"
Emil's nickname "Bash" was short for bashful since he was a shy guy since childhood. You're probably correct as to The Landing's original digs but by jazz club, I meant an on air club whose members were serious jazz fans. As I recall, this included a numbered membership card that was useful for winning tickets and discounted cover charges.
Gene Spires Buick was another downtown car dealer whose showroom was on Broadway at 4th, again if my so called memory is correct; or was that Orsinger? Once about 1960 I visited the old Main Lincoln-Merc dealer with my dad when he was the proud owner of a new 1959 gold Mercury Monterey in for its 1,000 mile check. While waiting for the car I wandered around the showroom looking at the latest models and was naturally drawn to a big, brand new pink Continental Mark IV. With windows down it was impossible not to lean in and look while inhaling that unmistakable new car smell, so I leaned far into the passenger side front cabin and soaked it up. Stepping back I noticed a vertical scratch about four inches long just below the window frame. Surprised at first then scared nearly out of my skin because there was now pink paint on my western style belt buckle, i ambled out the front door holding my breath for the next half hour until we left. I've never told this story before so let me first apologize profusely for the wee mishap now nearly 50 years ago that still causes me much guilt and to swear that I never leaned into another new car again.
It's funny that Mercury Turnpike Cruiser Dad bought in 57' ,58' or 59' was Turbiville Motors. I'm thinking Main L/M probably bought them out. The son of Mr. Turbiville said his father died young. Maybe sold out as a result. Oh! The buckle thing , st happens. They have make ready departments to take care of that stuff!! Ah !! See you had guilt feelings ! The problem today is those without guilty feelings for what they purposely do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio