Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 06:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Since someone brought up the topic of bowling alleys...um, I guess that was me actually...does anyone else remember a bowling alley on Blanco just north of Basse? It could have been West Ave, I'm not sure. I went there a couple of times in the mid 1980's. I don't think it's there anymore (unlisted). But I would love to see it again. Old school bowling alley.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM

60 posts, read 208,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Since someone brought up the topic of bowling alleys...um, I guess that was me actually...does anyone else remember a bowling alley on Blanco just north of Basse? It could have been West Ave, I'm not sure. I went there a couple of times in the mid 1980's. I don't think it's there anymore (unlisted). But I would love to see it again. Old school bowling alley.
BOWLERAMA!!! I grew up in that area and went there sometimes as a kid. One year for P.E. class we actually made several field trips to bowl during class. After it's life as a bowling alley it was an indoor soccer place. I haven't been by there in a while so I don't know what it is now.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:19 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
I remember it ! Bowled some there in early 80's with an old friend! Some one on here will remember the name of it . Think it was on Blanco north of Basse. But at that time was coming in from near Boerne. Confuses me because I would exit West Ave I guess and take Basse to Blanco! Many years since I've frequented the area!! Old School? If you mean no computer score keeping..Yep!! The price of bowling now is pretty shocking!!
Just noticed Post above finished before me! Bowlerama sounds right. We had one on Roosevelt over near me. Remember it being built as a kid. Went many times for years. It's been gone many years now and I'm sure original name was Bowlerland! It was changed to All Star Lanes later years! I can't get anyone to agree on original name!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-11-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM

174 posts, read 504,983 times
How about Andy's Billiards off Blanco? The felt was about worn off the tables, and Andy mainly just scowled, but it was a cheap place to rack up a game.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 PM

60 posts, read 208,206 times
Ah... Andy's billards.. that guy was a grumpy old fart. For a short time I would go there to play the Star Wars arcade game when I was in high school. I was really good at it and would play for a loooong time on a quarter. He would come over and get all pissed off telling me that I'm 'overheating' the machine. I wasn't brave enough to try to explain that the machine didn't know the difference between me playing it and it just running the demo. Although I guess he might have known that and just wanted to get rid of me... who knows.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 PM

139 posts, read 504,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I remember it ! Bowled some there in early 80's with an old friend! Some one on here will remember the name of it . Think it was on Blanco north of Basse. But at that time was coming in from near Boerne. Confuses me because I would exit West Ave I guess and take Basse to Blanco! Many years since I've frequented the area!! Old School? If you mean no computer score keeping..Yep!! The price of bowling now is pretty shocking!!
Just noticed Post above finished before me! Bowlerama sounds right. We had one on Roosevelt over near me. Remember it being built as a kid. Went many times for years. It's been gone many years now and I'm sure original name was Bowlerland! It was changed to All Star Lanes later years! I can't get anyone to agree on original name!
I know it was All Star Lanes in the late 70s on up. I used to hang out there and sip on brews when I was 17 on. They never carded there. I also bowled and played a lot of Video games and Pinball .

Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
I know it was All Star Lanes in the late 70s on up. I used to hang out there and sip on brews when I was 17 on. They never carded there. I also bowled and played a lot of Video games and Pinball .
Hey Wolf, it was built around the time of the Kennedy assassination. I saw a lot of the place over the years too. Must have closed mid 80's or so. I'd almost bet my life it was Bowlerland at first! Maybe only in the 60's though! I was pretty good at the games too!!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 AM

64 posts, read 431,118 times
Quote:
Does anyone else remember the bowling alley that was located behind North Star mall? It was roughly in the middle of that street (where everything else on the street except the mall is on the south half). I went there once in 1981 or 1982. But I have no idea how long it existed before or after that. It had very modern computerized scoring for its time.
The bowling alley you describe was at 126 W Rector, and was called San Pedro Bowling Center, even though it was a few blocks from San Pedro.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
My father owned a business in San Antonio called McInroy Refrigeration - Mr. M was our customers for years. We put in the walk in coolers, shelving, check out counters and ice makers. My dad worked for years with Bruce Smith. I understand that in the mid 70s Metzger's dairy wanted out of the business - they sold the 80 or stores that they operated in San Antonio to McCombs Enterprises for about 1 million dollars (for incidental information it was my understanding that Mr. M did not own the actual buildings but just the inventory, and had leases on the stores) I also understand that McCombs enterprises held on to Mr M. for about 3 years and then sold them to NCStores (which was the STOP N GO brand of stores ) out of Houston Texas - I understand that sale was for approx 4 million dollars.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
My father owned a business in San Antonio called McInroy Refrigeration - Mr. M was our customers for years. We put in the walk in coolers, shelving, check out counters and ice makers. My dad worked for years with Bruce Smith. I understand that in the mid 70s Metzger's dairy wanted out of the business - they sold the 80 or stores that they operated in San Antonio to McCombs Enterprises for about 1 million dollars (for incidental information it was my understanding that Mr. M did not own the actual buildings but just the inventory, and had leases on the stores) I also understand that McCombs enterprises held on to Mr M. for about 3 years and then sold them to NCStores (which was the STOP N GO brand of stores ) out of Houston Texas - I understand that sale was for approx 4 million dollars.
I remember McInroy's. Wasn't it located just east of downtown and I-37 on Commerce or Houston?? I remember Metzger's also but not stores under that name!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio