Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 09:44 PM

11 posts, read 60,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Anybody remember ... the Black Cow on Nogalitos?
There was a drive-in named Weber's Black Cow on Broadway just north of what became the Panam Expressway and the original Pig Stand restaurant. The main attraction was root beer in frosted glass mugs served on metal trays hung on car doors by exclusively teenage boy carhops wearing short-sleeved orange woven shirts and white paper folding hats. The building was painted orange and black, had black and orange striped awnings pulled over the parking spaces during the day, and orange-painted Purple Martin houses on poles surrounded the parking lot. Also served in the frosted mugs were vanilla ice cream floats with root beer (Black Cows), grape soda (Purple Martins), and orange soda (Orange Baboons). The drive-in closed every year for the winter months, and relocated in 1968 to a less conspicuous facility across the street from the Alamo Area Council Boy Scout headquarters and next door to the Handy Andy on Broadway between Army Blvd. and Post Ave.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 PM

48 posts, read 375,637 times
where exactly was the handy andy? on the west or east side of broadway? what is located on that spot today?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Wyatt's had a nice cafeteria in Windsor Park Mall, but it closed when Luby's bought them since their is a Luby's down the street on Walzem
Wyatt's was good, they only had 1 location outside a mall. Babcock-410.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus40 View Post
where exactly was the handy andy? on the west or east side of broadway? what is located on that spot today?
I am wondering if it's a store that sells restaraunt supplies?

Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Wyatt's was good, they only had 1 location outside a mall. Babcock-410.
Wasn't the Luby's at 410 at Nacogdoches by Broadway bank a Wyatt's also?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 25,326 times
I'm not sure what local channel that started it's newscast with: I'ts 10 o'clock do you know where your children are? Should still use it now!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 AM

48 posts, read 375,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I am wondering if it's a store that sells restaraunt supplies?
there is a condo complex near the old bonanza on one side and a slot machine vendor on the other.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy-O View Post
I grew up on the southeast side near Highlands High School. Back in the early 60's the place to go in town at Christmas time to see houses decorated happened to be a few miles from us. Hiawatha Street back then was the prelude to Windcrest. Every house was decorated and every homeowner went all out. It was a tradition for us...that and the Big Santa on top of Joskes. Great memories.

Did anyone use to go to the old Lone Star Brewrey? At HemisFair they had a pavillion with wax figures depicting Texas history. The coolest one was an indian scalping what looks to be a calvary soldier. After HemisFair they moved it on the brewrey grounds along with the Hall of Fins. Back then if you visited the Buckhorn Hall of Horns you got free beer...later they gave each visitor 2 wooden tokens each good for one beer.

LOL I also grew up on the SE side near HHS! I recall one of those decorated houses had a pair of angels pulling on a rope to ring a set of bells. I think the house must have been a two story or else had a fireplace in the front. The bells were attached to the top of the house/chimney and when the angels pulled the ropes, the bells moved back and forth. Very cool!

I'd forgotten about the Indian scalping the soldier. That exhibit was very vivid. I wonder if it is still at the Buckhorn. Haven't gone there since they moved it down town. We went to the brewery as a field trip to the Buckhorn when I was in elementary school. There was this huge bear in the entrance; I think it was either a polar bear or a grizzley. For a small kid, that animal was frightening! I think they had the two-headed calf, too.

Did you ever go to the Luby's in McCreless for lunch following church on Sunday? My aunt used to take us about once a month or so. Remember those long lines to get in? Or the smell of the restaurant once you crossed the threshold? My mom used to gripe about the .20 for tea! And I loved their fried chicken!

Anyone have any pictures of the inside of McCreless Mall in the 60's?

Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM

106 posts, read 463,386 times
Great thread! I'm new to the forum but I'll throw in what I recall about San Antonio. I grew up on the southside and there was a drive-in on Military Drive between Roosevelt and Flores. It used to be where the old Wal-Mart is located at...Does anybody remember the name of it? It used to have a huge painting of a cowboy on a horse on back of the main screen (I think). Also, there used to be a fantastic pizza place on Military and Commercial next to Flipside I believe...What was the name of that place?

Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM

69 posts, read 301,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
Great thread! I'm new to the forum but I'll throw in what I recall about San Antonio. I grew up on the southside and there was a drive-in on Military Drive between Roosevelt and Flores. It used to be where the old Wal-Mart is located at...Does anybody remember the name of it? It used to have a huge painting of a cowboy on a horse on back of the main screen (I think). Also, there used to be a fantastic pizza place on Military and Commercial next to Flipside I believe...What was the name of that place?
I think your talking about the Mission Drive In on Roosevelt. It's a couple of blocks from Military. And the Pizza Place... Do you mean the Pizza Buffet I'm trying to think of the Name but can't... I'll post it if I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio