Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 09:54 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb0580 View Post
I remember Montgomery Ward at Crossroads Mall, formerly Wonderland Mall.
How much times have changed!
I remember going to Monkey Wards at Westlakes Mall, Crossroads Mall, and Windsor Park Mall.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 AM

7 posts, read 24,895 times
I remember Oscar's (believe was at the Intersection of Zarzamora and Frio City Rd.) They had the best chicken Tacos in town. Does the place still exists? Moved from SA in 1983. Haven't been back since. Miss SA a lot...

Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Oscar's is gone but had some great food.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 AM

3 posts, read 17,478 times
Default Christmas-Where to go before Windcrest

I grew up on the southeast side near Highlands High School. Back in the early 60's the place to go in town at Christmas time to see houses decorated happened to be a few miles from us. Hiawatha Street back then was the prelude to Windcrest. Every house was decorated and every homeowner went all out. It was a tradition for us...that and the Big Santa on top of Joskes. Great memories.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 17,478 times
Did anyone use to go to the old Lone Star Brewrey? At HemisFair they had a pavillion with wax figures depicting Texas history. The coolest one was an indian scalping what looks to be a calvary soldier. After HemisFair they moved it on the brewrey grounds along with the Hall of Fins. Back then if you visited the Buckhorn Hall of Horns you got free beer...later they gave each visitor 2 wooden tokens each good for one beer.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
I remember the Buckhornns at Lone Star, I was very young but remember the free tokens for beer.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 PM

48 posts, read 375,754 times
I remember the Varsity Drive-In at what is now the HEB Mercado at Culebra and Bandera. I used to live on Dokes Drive which is immediately south. We could actually hear the movie sound from the old metal window hanging speakers.

Nearbye was Jim's Frontier Burger and also an Italian Pizza place owned by the late KISS/KMAC legend Joe Anthony.

Across Bandera was the Tall Texan with the best mayo and shredded sesame seed burgers in town.

Further west going down Culebra (when it was a potholed two lanes) was a cantina that had a painted image of a sihlouetted lady that looked like a doodoo was coming out. Sounds weird but some people actually remember that.

At McMullen and Culebra was a seafood place called First Mate (I think) that was owned by Captain Gus and had a red spinning light at the top of the sign.

There was small burger joint that had an outdoor drive up. It was owned by a very nice Korean man and you could get a good burger fries and drink for only $2.15 -tax included and that was in 1995 near the time it changed ownership. It was on Bandera road just past the old KP's on Cincinnatti.

I remember GW Jr's with an outstanding cheeseburger and brightly colored foil wrappers.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 PM

69 posts, read 301,595 times
Default OMG so many memories!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I finally finished reading all the pages of this wonderful thread... Thanks 940!!! Great trip down Old San Antonio.

I was born in July of 83 and didn't come to SA until 85 or 86 not sure lol. Alot of things I remembered strangely enough but others were just so interesting to read.

I remember Pistol Pete's Pizza!! I loved that place and Jungle Jims!! My Brother and I used to play ski ball til our arms felt like they were going to fall off. And I know some of you remember when the ticket machine would go haywire and just keep giving tickets, and tickets, and tickets, and some more tickets!!

My mom worked @ Solo Serve for like 15 yrs. She worked at the Distribution Center over on I-10E and Ackerman. I remember driving over there to pick her up every afternoon afterschool. And then she would take us to the stores to buy what had just been shipped out. I had Blue Jeans, Pink Jeans, Purple Jeans, and Yellow Jeans. all which came with Flintstones T-Shirts. LMAO... We were devastated when she said Solo Serve was closing because in my mind i thought OMG Where R U going to work if SS is gone????

And Rally's Burgers!!!!! They had the best to-die-for Seasoned French Fries!!! They were AWESOME!!! I remember there was one on Fair Ave in front of what is now Home Depot.

I grew up on Lone Star Blvd... and my mom still owns two houses there. That was when the Lone Star Brewery was still Brewing and the Buckhorn museum was still open. Here's a picture of the Brewery (2nd used by LSBeer.. i used to think for a long time it was the original before moving over by the Pearl Brewery...LOL) and the Entrance Sign:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/Lonestar1.jpg (broken link)

And then the Old Lone Star Sign just before the St Mary's/Roosevelt underpass?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/lonestarsign.jpg (broken link)

And then they built this tunnel outlet for the San Antonio River right across the street from the old brewery...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/tunneloutlet.jpg (broken link)

The Brewery is still there but is in horrible condition and I remember the Wooden tokens ... I remember the Museum stayed open for some time when the Brewery left but then it closed. don't remember why

I remember walking down the tracks from Wheatley (Brackenridge) high School with my older Brother... the ran right accross fromt the Brewery.

My mom used to Also work at the BFI Plant on Probandt... i think it used to be ACCO back in the day.

And does anyone remember the little restaurant on the corner of Lone Star and Probandt?? Paula's??? I loved that place!!! My neighbor married Paula's son and then Paula went out of business... I lived in the house directly behind Paula's for like a year... now the lady who owned that house has died and i think the house is going to be demolished. We tried to buy it but they wanted too much and then the back taxes were alot. Now no one bought it and it's deterioraiting.

She also worked in the Pioneer Factory... I used to think that place was a castle I remember asking my mom to take me up to rescue the princess (yes i was a tomboy)lol.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/sanantoniopioneer.jpg (broken link)http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/pioneer7.jpg (broken link)

If anyone went to Wheatley(Brack) do you remember the Church's Chicken that was accross the street and the Rios Haircuts???

I never went to Playland or Kiddie ??? but i went to Sunshine Amusement Park and my parent's wouldn't dare let us miss La Hacienda Restaurant across the street. I think Sunshine is now a Used Car Lot and La Hacienda is like Harold Printing or Art Supplies

And yes it was Commander K.O. and not Captain Kangaroo.. She was on KABB. After she got married and left, they attempted to get another girl to follow but she didn't last long as no one could equal Commander K.O. <sigh>

And does anyone remember Krogers??? on Flores and Military?? Now there's an Academy Store there and there used to be a doctors office in the parking lot on the corner.

And when CVS used to be Eckerd??? Or on Nogalitos where the new CVS is there used to be a Handy Andy...

So many memories... I remember when Pear Apple County fair was where that church is now and well we were poor back then and I guess it had something to do with being mexican (i could be wrong) but my mom didn't really like taking us to those places cuz "only rich people go there". LMAO. Anywhooo... My best friend Shannon (yes she was rich, but still I'm sure poor people went too... it was like $5) and her dad were going and her dad let her bring two friends.. April and Me!!!!! I was so excited!!! Her dad was awesome!!! I remember the arcade and the Go Karts and the Miniature Golf...

Her Dad also took us to this old Pharmacy that still served Milk Shakes and Burgers and i think it's still there... OLMOS Pharmacy. On the corner of Hildebrand and McCullough. I went back as soon as i could drive and took my husband there as soon as we got married. I know corny..

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/olmosexterior.jpg (broken link)

And although i don't remember the Ice Skating Rink you guys are talking about, I do remember the one that was @ DeZavala.. University Bowl which is now sadly a Goodwill Store. I say sadly because i only got to go once in '99. They should open another.

How bout the Pig Stand and the Winn's on Presa??? I remember going to Winn's every year before school started to buy the P.E Uniform for school.

Well I guess I should stop cuz this has gotten lengthy but so many memories have been brought back. But b4 i go here are some pictures of Earl Abel's on Broadway when they brought the sign down.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/signdown.jpg (broken link)http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/signdown2.jpg (broken link)

and the day it closedhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/mjr7025/earlabels.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 PM

skating -@ the Quaudrangle

Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 PM

where did you find that ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio