Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 01:46 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,051 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember the Barn that was out on the Dominion Golf Course and how they tried to save it but it got torn down anyway?

Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 PM

13 posts, read 63,929 times
Well, I must add my post as a newbie to this board. Anybody remember Pete's Place on highway 16 in San Geronimo just before youe enter Medina County? I was going by there a few years ago when I came back to Texas to bury my father and saw that the structure was still there, but it looks as if the place has been abandoned for years.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodywood View Post
Who remembers Dow Sherry the weatherman on channel 4 I believe, who always gave the temperature in Muleshoe Texas, could have been his hometown.
He was on Channel 12 until Jim Dawson came over from 4 in the late 70s. Hard to believe with all the internet technology nowadays that these men have vanished from the face of the earth.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Does anyone remember the old KKYX radio station tower that used to be off Bandera just north of Eckhert? I believe part of that land is now apartments and a Wal Mart Supercenter near what is now Mainland Rd.

Remember the little parade every year for Helotes' Cornyval festival? JMHS band marched in it every year back then.
Oh yes, I remember KKYX being out there in the middle of nowhere. There was a small building surrounded by big antennas with the KKYX guitar logo at the entrance. As for the Cornyval, I think it still goes on. I went to a parade back in the mid-70s and I remember Dow Sherry being the Grand Marshall.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrocarnation View Post
Before there was any such thing as Long John Silver's, there was a chain in San Antonio called First Mate. I don't recall where it was now, but I loved that place when I was a kid.
More later.
I can assure you that there was a First Mate at the corner of Culebra and General McMullen Drive. My grandmother used to get fish on Fridays from that place. Regretfully, the place was torned down long before 1980.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:00 AM

21 posts, read 104,945 times
I remember the Brandeis Book Sale.

Does anyone remember the flea market in the old Colonies North Mall? It was a good one.

I, too, remember Dow Sherry and Jim Dawson. I haven't heard those names in years.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM

21 posts, read 104,945 times
I keep forgetting to ask..

Does anyone know what that old red barn-looking place at the corner of Pat Booker and the east side of I-35 was? It's long gone now, but I *think* it was a country music dance hall back in the '40s. If I could only remember the name... something "Palace" maybe? (Not Bluebonnet Palace or Lone Star Palace; this place pre-dated those by decades.) It was a big structure on a huge lot.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,931 times
Smile They don't make them like they used to ...

How I miss these places everyone is mentioning! I was born in May of 1980, but I still have fond recollections of such fast food eateries like GW Jr's, Pizza Inn, Jim's Frontier Burgers, and Pistol Pete's Pizza.
I remember the cool, brick interior of the Pizza Inn near the corner of Hildebrand and San Pedro, which now houses a law firm. Remember the hand-tossed pizzas and "pizzerts"? I still have a red plastic pencil box dated 1984, with a little cartoon drawing of a man tossing pizza dough in the air.
Another place my family and I frequented was the Jim's Frontier at the corner of Fredericksburg and Club Drive. It was demolished a while back, and now a pawn shop stands there. How I miss the 60's decor: "hanging plants", the plastic circular booths. The charbroiled hamburgers were so good, too! I can still taste the pickles and mayonnaise oozing out of them.
My sister and I celebrated many of our birthdays at Pistol Pete's Pizza. Does anyone remember that place off of Bandera? I miss the rides, ski ball, cotton candy machine and the prizes, but especially the carousel! The pizza wasn't too great, as I recall (kind of tasted like Peter Piper Pizza), but we always had a good time.
I wish I could remember more about GW Jr's, but I think it closed in the early 80's.
Does anyone know when Murf's Better Burger was founded? I'm curious to try their hamburgers, because it looks so original, but I haven't heard anything about them. They don't even have a website. Email me or reply with any answers you may have. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:25 PM

I remember Montgomery Ward at Crossroads Mall, formerly Wonderland Mall.
How much times have changed!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:29 PM

One more thing ... does anyone remember Sommer's Drug Store at the corner of Fulton and Blanco? Mr. Hawkins was such a wonderful pharmacist who really cared about his clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio