Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 AM

170 posts, read 762,378 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the restaurant called "Barcelona" in Alamo Heights? It was located in a shopping strip near Central Market. It probably closed down 10-15 years ago...it was Mediterranean/Spanish food! I LOVED it so much! Excellent tapas and sandwiches! I miss it sssooo much. Anyone know what happened to the owners? Last I heard was that it closed due to legal troubles, not due to lack of business.

Also, I miss Niles Wine bar on Broadway. It probaby closed down in the last 5 years. Anyone know why it closed? I was packed everytime I went.

Sniff, sniff....I miss barcelona and Nile's.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,984 times
Default Gallaghers I-35 and I-10

Gallaghers was a fun place to work in 78-79. Way fun group. The band Odessa played there a lot. Keith Beitler and Howard Cole ran the I-35 store.
Stephan, Rick Tellez, Susan Schertz, Mike Wassaf, Maurine, and a cast of characters worked there. The Bar was cool, 10cent low table level pong and breakout.

I worked at the one in Houston in 81. Too bad they disappeared. The I-35 has been a Pawn Shop for years.

Kramers was once on Walzem and then in the strip mall on the North side of 410 East of Perrin Beitel. It was a hot spot during Desert Storm in 91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories Galore View Post
Kramer's was on Perrin Beitel and I think it faced 410.

I remember Gallagher's at or near Walzem.

I also thing part of the problem with Windsor's demise was when the original leases were up. The property owners or mall owners put a lot of money into high dollar renovations and I understand they drastically increased the rent. Many of the original tenants opted not to renew leases and spaces went empty and either remained so, or got tenants in who couldn't make it. It was sad, because it was a nice mall.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM

546 posts, read 3,106,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minz View Post
Does anyone remember the restaurant called "Barcelona" in Alamo Heights? It was located in a shopping strip near Central Market. It probably closed down 10-15 years ago...it was Mediterranean/Spanish food! I LOVED it so much! Excellent tapas and sandwiches! I miss it sssooo much. Anyone know what happened to the owners? Last I heard was that it closed due to legal troubles, not due to lack of business.

Also, I miss Niles Wine bar on Broadway. It probaby closed down in the last 5 years. Anyone know why it closed? I was packed everytime I went.

Sniff, sniff....I miss barcelona and Nile's.

Yep, Barcelona's was great...remember Luna Notte in Sunset Ridge, a hip sorta Italian eatery? It was where La Fonda is now.

And yeah, I miss Niles' too.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,440,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willstown View Post
Gallaghers was a fun place to work in 78-79. Way fun group. The band Odessa played there a lot. Keith Beitler and Howard Cole ran the I-35 store.
Stephan, Rick Tellez, Susan Schertz, Mike Wassaf, Maurine, and a cast of characters worked there. The Bar was cool, 10cent low table level pong and breakout.

I worked at the one in Houston in 81. Too bad they disappeared. The I-35 has been a Pawn Shop for years.

Kramers was once on Walzem and then in the strip mall on the North side of 410 East of Perrin Beitel. It was a hot spot during Desert Storm in 91.
So the Gallaghers on 35 is where a pawn shop is now? Its been a long time. Also what is at the location for the one on Wurzback-IH 10? Anything there now? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Momma,
The Glen is scary, especially the Judson side. The Camelot around Roosevelt isn't that bad. The Camelot further down off Montgomery is very bad though. Walzem is struggling to come back, Target closed last year. Bill Miller build a new restaurant further down Walzem next to the Bank Of America. Whataburger is still there too! The new Roosevelt campus is impressive, it's a further evolution of Reagan and MacArthur.

Some Pre-renovation Windsor park,

I know it's not luca, but it was a favorite of mine.

Another question, what year did Whataburger close?

Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 29,562 times
Those photos bring back memories....I lived in San Antonio in the 1970s.....attended Nelson Elementary (off Culebra and Zarzamora), and junior high at Mann Jr. High. I went to HS in California and came back to SA after HS to attend UTSA. Some of my memories are along Zarzamora Avenue.....Elmo River's Gulf Station, Jif-E-Mart (which was a new concept at that time), La Casita Mexican Restaurant, Little Flower Shrine, Varsity Drive-In, Fred's Fish Fry, Roseroom Cafe, and does anyone remember First Mate? Loved their fish!!!! I remember walking to school along Woodlawn Lake, and crossing near Peacock Military Academy. I love the memories!!!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 29,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
How about "Bongo Joe" downtown, and the "6 bottle cap" Pepsi movies at the Aztec theater and the "99 cent God Father of Soul James Brown concerts???

Woooo-----PLEASE tell me someone else is old enough to remember those!!!!!!
OMG!!!! I remember "Bongo Joe" --- he was out there every day!!!!! And I remember seeing the stupidest movie every produced, and it was shown at the Aztec....it was called "Schlock!!!!" which was about a runaway gorilla (a guy in a gorilla suit).

Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 45,828 times
Default new to this site

I have found this thread and have been reading it now for the past 2 hours. WOW it sure brings back alot of memories. My dad worked for Lubys and we moved to SA in 1972. We stayed until Dad was transferred in 1981. I have not seen anybody mention the sniper at the parade....my little brother got away from us to use the bathroom about the time the shots rang out from the snipers RV. We were about 200 yards away from the shooting and we could not find my brother. I thought my Mother was going to have a heart attack. Finally about 30 minutes later, my little bro wandered back to our car like nothing had even happened. One other thing, remember when Locke Hills Elementary was on IH-10 and had the marker on it as "the oldest school in Texas"?

Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 PM

11 posts, read 45,828 times
remember when joe fowler refused to shower or shave until the missions won a game???

Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 PM

Joe Fowler was a tool, always thought George Mckenzie was the best one in SA, even better than Dan Cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio