Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,580 times

Advertisements

Nostalgic, I'm not sure if Swingtime was doen at Wonderland or not. I'm thinking maybe it was.

TCS, the beer cans we were drinking WERE around 1970. !!??!!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM

55 posts, read 232,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Across 410 from Kiddie City...next to the Smokey Onion...there used to be a Denny's type restaraunt called Jo-Jo's. I am not sure if it was pronounced "ho-ho's". I used remember it had this cool bubble window at the entrance. It was this big glass sphere about 3 feet in diameter. Anyone remember that.
Every time I drove by there on 410, I thought for some ungodly reason, that
there is where the cool people hang out ond eat. Maybe it was because of the chilled forks you'd get with your salad. Anyone remember THAT?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:06 PM

55 posts, read 232,798 times
Default The Little Old Band from Texas

SnappyBob

Way off in San Angelo, we heard rumors of a Moody Blues concert down in
San Antonio where the backup band named ZZTop "blew them (the Blues)
off the stage." this had to be '71 - '73; somewhere around there.
Sounds like a cool urban legend, especially for Top fans. Any credence to this?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 PM

28 posts, read 148,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
I was working for H-E-B at the time and the store at Bandera/Huebner closed in July 1991. This store and the one at Babcock/Callaghan were shut down the same night and the next day the Marketplace at Bandera/410 opened. Quite a few of the partners from both closed stores staffed the Marketplace back then.

OneManonBass and spurs22 - my parents lived on Neer for several years; 4306 Neer to be exact. We moved away from there to the northeast side east of the airport when I was two months old (December 1970). My Mom went to MacArthur (known then as Northeast High) and she lived over on Milford off of Vance Jackson, about a block or so from the Edison boundary. This was about 3-4 years before Lee was built. We can only imagine how long and boring that bus ride clear across town could have been in the mid 1950s!

Macgrad89
I am not sure of when the Bandera store closed, but I do remember the Marketplace opening in 93' as I was a manager there at that time. The store on Babcock & Callaghan moved to Babcock & Huebner #23. My now brother-in law moved there when they closed.

MLeahy

Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM

28 posts, read 148,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronguy View Post
My first post to this site.
I love all the good memories that have come up in posts here. I will try to contribute some as well.
Does anyone remember World of Sports at Dezavala and I-10? It used to have a laser tag area called Photon.
I used to bowl there as a kid. I belive they also had a movie theater there at some time.
Mr Gattis on Naco Perrin (off Perrin Bitel). They used to show very old cartoons, and they also had the original building type.
I think its a gentlemens club now.
There was a 2 screen theater on Naco Perrin, it had a Shakeys Pizza right next door to it. I saw Jaws there openening night.
Clubs I used to frequent:
Rockwave (Perrin Bitel & 410)
Changes (off Nakoma)
HipBone (off Nakoma)
Broadstreet (Central Park Mall)
Hippodrome (Central Park Mall)
Rock Island (Fredricksberg Rd)
Sneakers (Perrin Bitel)
Anyone remember Sombrerorosa? How about hanging out there on Friday and Saturday nights with the Clark kids.
Rocky J's on Perrin Bitel.
The Fat Farm on 281 North. Bunch of urban legends about that place.
I seem to vaguely remember a house that had a system of caves underneath its foundation. Somewhere in the I-10 & Callaghan area.
If anyone can fill in the blanks there, I would love to hear it.
Did anyone ever find out what that tower looking structure is on the top of Commanche Hill?
In high school we used to drive up that hill and look out over the city. Great view. Took a couple girlfriends up there too, very romantic.
Just a few to name, to me started on posting. Im sure I will think of more.
WOW! When did you graduate & where did you go to school?

I remember going to all those clubs including Scratch on Fredericksburg & 410.

Regards, MLeahy

Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskie View Post
SnappyBob

Way off in San Angelo, we heard rumors of a Moody Blues concert down in
San Antonio where the backup band named ZZTop "blew them (the Blues)
off the stage." this had to be '71 - '73; somewhere around there.
Sounds like a cool urban legend, especially for Top fans. Any credence to this?
I never heard that one before but you never know it may well be true. There is a huge contrast between Moody Blues and Texas Blues. Especially when delivered by the likes of ZZ Top. Both organizations are the works of geniouses in my opinion. If the crowd had never heard ZZ Top before, they may have been so impressed that the Moody Blues, whom everyone was familiar with just seemed so-so. I don't remember that particular concert though to tell you the truth. But then, I don't remember some of the concerts that I actually went to if you know wht I mean.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM

305 posts, read 1,619,042 times
Here is my recollection of these fast food joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Lets see if everyone knows the location of where the "First" was for each of these?

McDonalds? The one in Balcones Heights on Fredrickburg was one of the first

Wendys? I thought there was one on Walzem behind Windsor Mall that was the first. I also remember a Chick-fil-A in Windsor at it's grand opening

GW Jrs?

Chesters?

Whopper Burger?

Burger King? I agree with southside near Lackland and Kelly. The Southcross mention sounds correct, I remember they had a '76 Olympic poster promotion and I looked in the phone book and that was the only location.

Fuddruckers?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:52 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeahy View Post
I am not sure of when the Bandera store closed, but I do remember the Marketplace opening in 93' as I was a manager there at that time. The store on Babcock & Callaghan moved to Babcock & Huebner #23. My now brother-in law moved there when they closed.

MLeahy
I thought for sure it was 1991 when marketplace opened.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,157,519 times
I remember when Fuddruckers opened in 1980....I'm just not certain whether the first location was either downtown on Alamo Plaza or the location near Tesoro Dr near Broadway, just north of Loop 410.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
I think it was the one on wagonwheel, in those days it was packed on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio