Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 AM

91 posts, read 323,833 times

Advertisements

I was working for H-E-B at the time and the store at Bandera/Huebner closed in July 1991. This store and the one at Babcock/Callaghan were shut down the same night and the next day the Marketplace at Bandera/410 opened. Quite a few of the partners from both closed stores staffed the Marketplace back then.

OneManonBass and spurs22 - my parents lived on Neer for several years; 4306 Neer to be exact. We moved away from there to the northeast side east of the airport when I was two months old (December 1970). My Mom went to MacArthur (known then as Northeast High) and she lived over on Milford off of Vance Jackson, about a block or so from the Edison boundary. This was about 3-4 years before Lee was built. We can only imagine how long and boring that bus ride clear across town could have been in the mid 1950s!

Macgrad89

Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Wow did not know that, I remember the Godfathers pizza there at San Pedro and Rector.
Hey, there is actually a Godfathers pizza on Lackland now...I have not tried it and do not know if it is as good as they use to be, but I remember them being an AWESOME pizza back in the day...wondered how they went under back then.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
I was working for H-E-B at the time and the store at Bandera/Huebner closed in July 1991. This store and the one at Babcock/Callaghan were shut down the same night and the next day the Marketplace at Bandera/410 opened.

Macgrad89
I remember in 91 the old HEB on bandera-huebner had been closed for while and at that time it was a weiners clothing store. I think it was in the late 80's that it closed so not sure if it was or not.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
It was mentioned twice that a lady buried in her Caddy somewhere on the southside (Post #1345 then again in Post #1346). I could find no reference to this during a quick Google search...and maybe that is intentional; but I sure as heck would like to find out more about it! Anyone have any additional details??

Cheers! M2

Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 AM

25 posts, read 79,469 times
Default Lee graduate

eyeta2, spurs22, and onemanonbass. What year did you all graduate? I graduated in 82. I also grew up in the area between West Ave and Vance Jackson. We lived on Adrian by the ditch on Wonder Parkway. Remember the creek behind Lee would flood when it rained heavily? It was really rough getting to school. The water would run into the parking lot at HEB and flood all cars at West Ave and 410 by Aggie Park. Also, remember Uncle Barneys would get flooded also. I guess it was to much for them and they moved. Does anyone remember Dunkin Donuts at Jackson Keller and West Ave? This was located in the strip mall behind Bill Millers? We would go there before school. Also, there was a Lone Star on Blanco & Jackson Keller. In case some of you do not know, La Palmita has closed within the last year. It was there for so long. The strip mall at Basse and West Ave had Handy Andy, Winns, Mr Gatti's and The Aquarium Night club ont he corner by Lamanda. I remember they used to let kids go to the club on Saturdays to dance, minus the alcohol. This was around 79'.
Here are some others I remember: Best Products on San Pedro (where North Park dealership is) Bonanza on San Pedro, Fed Mart on Vance Jackson and 410. I believe, there was also a Winns and Ice Crean shop on Vance Jackson and Freiling.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 AM

25 posts, read 79,469 times
Default response to #1345

Stics, the drive in on 24th was the University. I think the snack bar was built underground. My aunts and uncle would take us often. I also remember taking popcorn in a big paper bag and going in our p.j's. God those were the good ol' days.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 AM

24 posts, read 92,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
eyeta2, spurs22, and onemanonbass. What year did you all graduate? I graduated in 82. I also grew up in the area between West Ave and Vance Jackson. We lived on Adrian by the ditch on Wonder Parkway. Remember the creek behind Lee would flood when it rained heavily? It was really rough getting to school. The water would run into the parking lot at HEB and flood all cars at West Ave and 410 by Aggie Park. Also, remember Uncle Barneys would get flooded also. I guess it was to much for them and they moved. Does anyone remember Dunkin Donuts at Jackson Keller and West Ave? This was located in the strip mall behind Bill Millers? We would go there before school. Also, there was a Lone Star on Blanco & Jackson Keller. In case some of you do not know, La Palmita has closed within the last year. It was there for so long. The strip mall at Basse and West Ave had Handy Andy, Winns, Mr Gatti's and The Aquarium Night club ont he corner by Lamanda. I remember they used to let kids go to the club on Saturdays to dance, minus the alcohol. This was around 79'.
Here are some others I remember: Best Products on San Pedro (where North Park dealership is) Bonanza on San Pedro, Fed Mart on Vance Jackson and 410. I believe, there was also a Winns and Ice Crean shop on Vance Jackson and Freiling.
I was class of '76 at Lee and lived on Dryden Dr, just east of West Ave, between Buckeye and Neer. I remember the strip mall called Allena Village back then had and HEB, Winns, Kelly's barber and beauty shops, Music Mart, Winns, a pharmacy on end near General Krueger St. Didn't the strip mall on Basse and West Ave, also have a Sommers drug store and a small record store? I remember the Lone Star C-Store, or should I say ice-house. We use to hang out at Mr. M's on the northwest corner of Blanco and Jackson-Keller before school. I was just in S.A. last year and La Palmita was still open. We used to go there when I was a kid. Also went to La Fuente in North Star Mall. I also ate a lot of Whopper-Burgers just south of Basse and West Ave. Wasn't there a Chinese restaurant on West-Ave near Arroya-Vista? Not long ago, I was killing time in Alton, Illinois and ran across a neighborhood bakery. You don't see many of those anymore. I picked up some turnovers and danish. It reminded me of Civeltos on West Ave.. right across from Weizeman. I can still smell the aroma of that bakery on an early Saturday morning when we would go for rolls.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 33,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
I remember the Dunkin Donuts on Jackson Keller and West Ave. I think it's a Money Box now? La Palmita did close, and it was right next to a Sonic Drive In that closed recently too. I remember the Handy Andy and the Mr. Gatti's at that strip mall on West Ave. Wasn't the Winn's located at the Allena Village strip center next to an HEB? I remember Best Products, and loved Bonanza. There was another Bonanza on Fredericksburg near Crossroads Mall that recently closed. I am a rather recent graduate of Lee, but I can still remember all of those from when I was growing up in the late 80's and 90's. I lived on General Krueger.

Here's another: Do you remember a Ringo's restaurant on West Ave, by Whataburger and Murf's Better Burger? It was owned by an old man and his wife.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:14 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs22 View Post
I remember the Dunkin Donuts on Jackson Keller and West Ave. I think it's a Money Box now? La Palmita did close, and it was right next to a Sonic Drive In that closed recently too. I remember the Handy Andy and the Mr. Gatti's at that strip mall on West Ave. Wasn't the Winn's located at the Allena Village strip center next to an HEB? I remember Best Products, and loved Bonanza. There was another Bonanza on Fredericksburg near Crossroads Mall that recently closed. I am a rather recent graduate of Lee, but I can still remember all of those from when I was growing up in the late 80's and 90's. I lived on General Krueger.

Here's another: Do you remember a Ringo's restaurant on West Ave, by Whataburger and Murf's Better Burger? It was owned by an old man and his wife.
Where Duncan Doughnuts was on West Ave was a place called San Antonio Collectibles, it was one of the 1st card shops in town. Bonanza was awesome I miss the food, and Ringos on West Ave was famous for its bean burger.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 PM

58 posts, read 203,474 times
Default Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It was mentioned twice that a lady buried in her Caddy somewhere on the southside (Post #1345 then again in Post #1346). I could find no reference to this during a quick Google search...and maybe that is intentional; but I sure as heck would like to find out more about it! Anyone have any additional details??

Cheers! M2
Wasn't it a Ferrari? Sandra Ilene West was her name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio