Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 01:04 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,307,134 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows the history of the Blue Star Art Place, it was an abandoned 1920's warehouse complex converted in the late 1980's to an art district and showcase. This location serves as the centerpiece for First Fridays, the first Friday of every month where all the local art galleries in the area have what is essentially an open house combined with street food vendors and other locally unique offerings.

So tonight was the first Friday of December and Primo and I went out there to eat these great mini-tacos (they call them mini-Taquitos) you can only get out there on First Fridays from one of the vendors. I have to give Primo props, he found this place and they are freakin' good. Their allure, I'm sure, is enhanced by the fact you can get them only one night of each month of the year.

Tonight, after gorging ourselves on these tacos (yeah, I'm good until January), we made our way to Blue Star and to a bar within the art complex called Joe Blue's. There at the bar, we found this small seemingly passed out creature in one of the bar stools. Please view the attached pictures before continuing.......
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-img_0105.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-img_0104.jpg  

Old 12-06-2008, 01:16 AM

So the story behind the cat is that for years this old man would come to the bar almost everyday and bring his cat with him. I assume he carried it, as I am the owner of two cats, I doubt the cat would follow him like a dog. About a year or so ago the man dies. But then, after the funeral, the cat starts showing up everyday at the same time. So the people at Joe Blue's take him in and he now lives there. The bartender told us that its like the old man's spirit is still there as long as they take care of the cat.

By the way, you can't tell it from these pictures, but this place was packed! When we got there, there was no room at the bar and the only (seemingly) open stool at the bar was the one where the cat was in. The music was blaring and despite all the people, the cat just slept there completely undisturbed. He (or she?) eventually slowly got up, hanged out with Primo and me for a little bit, until we all smelled a pizza from one of the tables that somebody had brought in.

While there, we witnessed that the cat subsists of a steady diet of pizza parts and other food thrown to him by regulars at the bar. When we left, he was sitting with the bouncers/doormen, eating a chicken wing. He looked like the happiest, most content cat in the world.

Last edited by GWhopper; 12-06-2008 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 AM

351 posts, read 1,587,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Nope, that Naple's, which is called Naple's Pizza (and dam* good New York style Pizza btw) is from a family that owned a couple of successful pizza places in Connecticut, one most notably on or near the Yale campus. I don't know if the whole family relocated here or just a part of it. They originally had some sort of partnership with the family that owns Sorrento's, but had some kind of falling out. An Italian friend of mine from Boston once asked one of the people at the NW Military location what was their relationship with Sorrento's and the guy just looked at him like he was going to jump over the counter and rip out his throat. He said something like, "that was a long time ago", but his tone was like "it's none of your effen business. These are not the droids you are looking for. Move Along."

The original Naples on Broadway was owned by an Italian couple who shut it down when they got too old ( or one of them sadly died, I can't remember which). My parents, who grew up in New Jersey, would take me there all the time when I was kid. To them, it was the closest italian food to what they got back home that they could get in San Antonio. My mom still tells the story that when I was a toddler, still sitting in a high chair, I decided for some unexpected reason, to pick up my kiddie-menu spaggetti bowl and dump it on my head. My dad used to complain about having to take me to the bathroom to clean me off, and having to explain to the other men in the bathroom why he was cleaning spaggetti sauce and noodles out of his kid's hair, like I was retarded or something. He then apparently had to actually "use" the bathroom, so I took the opportunity to escape and run through the dining room where my mom saw me, grabbed me, then started yelling at my dad for losing me. Growing up, I was reminded of this incident frequently. I have no memory of any of this, so I have to decided to believe they were just screwing with my head. That's my story and I am sticking with it.

In the mid to late 1990s, the grandchildren of the original Naples owners, opened up Naples again on Babcock near Huebner. They used their Grandparents recipes. I used to eat there all the time when I worked at Billing Concepts after they relocated to the medical center. Primo, I think you even joined us there once. Regardless, that restaurant was a success, and the grandchildren eventually parlayed that to a move back near the original location. Sadly, the new location failed and they went out of business in less than 2 years.
Brought back memories.

I worked with the grandson Anthony at Boccone's Italian restaurant @ Blanco & 1604 before he left to start Naples again.

Too bad it failed.

Yes, you were right the first time, the original Naples closed due to the untimely passing of his father.

For the life of me cannot remember his last name (something Italian), but I also went to Clark High School with him, class of '86.

crazedchef
miss Boccone's also

Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 AM

Oh Yeah,

I worked at that Boccone's with him in '97 - '98.

crazedchef

Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
but I also went to Clark High School with him, class of '86.

crazedchef
miss Boccone's also
I graduated from Clark in '88! We were all there together for awhile!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 AM

Boccone's is still here. But other than their Bambino Huey, their food (to be kind to the family), is sub-par. They still have a location at Embassy Row and West Avenue.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I graduated from Clark in '88! We were all there together for awhile!
Small World!

Who did you hang out with?

jocks,cheerleaders,nerds,heads,etc ...,or like me, a little of all (did go to a lot of concerts and DID INHALE !

Loved getting paroled out of ClarkAtraz! Best day of my life leaving those imposing brick walls.

Wish it different, but I hated all of my public school experience.

Didn't help that I had to work my butt off at Handy Andy to drive a P.O.S.Car while these rich kids (including the guy I talk about above) drove nice new cars. The green monster was a ***** when the new porsches, bmws, mercs, etc would pull into the parking lot.

crazedchef

crazedchef

Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM

55 posts, read 233,174 times
Default Disco on San Pedro

What was the name of the disco at San Pedro and Rector behind an old IHop (now a Pollo Loco)?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,150,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskie View Post
What was the name of the disco at San Pedro and Rector behind an old IHop (now a Pollo Loco)?
I don't remember a disco. But I do remember "La Bare"

Old 12-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,552,906 times
I remember being in the Hobby Center on Vance Jackson when a La Bare dancer walked in with his friends to buy toys. He had a big wad of bills and was buying expensive radio controlled models with cash. At least La Bare was good for the economy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio