Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 AM

23 posts, read 68,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
I'm a southsider. Grew up on East Palfrey and live near the old Mccreless Mall area now.

I grew up on Kate Schenck - my parents still live there along with some original neighbors as well.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 PM

55 posts, read 137,950 times
Hey you old, and I mean old Southsiders.... does anyone have any snapshots of the old Harlandale theater before it was demolished? SATX56 and I have been musing privately about that stretch of S. Flores around what is now Southcross. We oldtimers all remember it, but no one seems to have a picture of it... even in the background. How about the old Winn's or Western Auto which were also near there?
Anybody please help a fellow American who has fallen down and can't get up... I am desperate for old such photos. Sprott's variety store? Chief drive in on Pleasanton?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 PM

141 posts, read 564,657 times
I remember a store called "BEST" at SAN PEDRO @ 410 I would go with my family in '95? - ' 97 . I think it closed down around early '98 . anyone remember BEST

Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 PM

24 posts, read 59,956 times
I knew people on Hatcher, Anton, E.Palfrey, Kate Schenck, also the old Frontier Drive in theater where Goliad and some other street came to a point. Maybe we need to split this thread to sides like South, East, etc. Some of the place you guys are talking about I never heard of and I lived there from 57 to 76.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
I knew people on Hatcher, Anton, E.Palfrey, Kate Schenck, also the old Frontier Drive in theater where Goliad and some other street came to a point. Maybe we need to split this thread to sides like South, East, etc. Some of the place you guys are talking about I never heard of and I lived there from 57 to 76.
The old drive in was at Goliad & Southcross. Well actually in the triangle between Goliad and Clark . It was called the Bellaire or Bel-Air went my other name earlier but it eludes me right now. I'm sorry actually it was the Parkaire. There's a hamburger joint across the street from it that has a photo of it in it's window.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM

the Frontier Drive in owned by Jim's (Hasslocher) was at Lasses and Goliad. Car hops and such . Those were the days. Maybe that's what you meant and not the movie theater!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 PM

23 posts, read 68,099 times
Oh man that Frontier Drive In - MMMMMMM I remember going there as a kid.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM

25 posts, read 62,404 times
Default Southside

Since I've been back to San Antonio, on vacation, I 've been hitting up my old haunting grounds, when I was a kid....and the southside sure has changed, especially South Park Mall. God I miss the old theater there. And out of all the malls that have bit the dust...ie. McCreless, Windsor, Westlakes (and Crossroads doesn't look that good...by the way) I am surprised SPM has lasted. That mall seems to be stronger than ever. Compared to North Star and Ingram, they sux. But I still believe they should of left the theater in there. The Mayan looks cool, but I miss the old Century South.

I also miss the following...

The bowling alley on Zarzamora (the name escapes me)

The Korgers, Toys R' Us and The Bonanza (located in the same strip mall)

Chelsea Bar (@SPM)

The Target, which later became a Albertson's

A comic book shop that had a Spider-man Billboard on it, that burnt down in '96...I think.

Now back to SPM...

The food court that was located next to Mervyn's and where Anna Linens is now located.

The arcade room that was painted all white, that was located next to Chick Fil'a, in the said food court.

Also the arcade, that was all black, near the center of the mall, before it moved to the food court.

One last thing, for ya DIE-HARD SPM southsider. There was a clothing store, that was located across from the darkened arcade room, that had mirrors all over the place. Does anyone remember this store or is my memory playng tricks on me?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Mervyn's Perhaps? The Bowling Alley was Southside Bowling Alley now Grady's Barbecue!
Sorry, you mentioned Mervyn's so guess that's not it.
The Target, which later became a Albertson's was once Fed-Mart . Bet you don't remember those.
The Krogers, Toys R' Us and The Bonanza (located in the same strip mall) was once the location of the Loop 13 Drive In Theater.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Hey you old, and I mean old Southsiders.... does anyone have any snapshots of the old Harlandale theater before it was demolished? SATX56 and I have been musing privately about that stretch of S. Flores around what is now Southcross. We oldtimers all remember it, but no one seems to have a picture of it... even in the background. How about the old Winn's or Western Auto which were also near there?
Anybody please help a fellow American who has fallen down and can't get up... I am desperate for old such photos. Sprott's variety store? Chief drive in on Pleasanton?
What year would this have been? I've got some old yearbooks from Highlands and there just may be pictures of these places in them. Now if you can find someone with yearbooks from that time frame from Harlandale HS, you might get better results, but I'll check the ones I have if I have a date range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio