Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what the place on the hill just west of Leon Springs exit north of I-10 with the winding road to the top (entered from I-10 access road) used to be? It,s like a big cafeteria with a big rock patio in front . Overlooks the old rock quarry.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Just joined the forum. I was born in 1946 on Grapeland street on the southside. By far, my fondest memories are of growing up there in the fifties. We were lower middle class, not a lot of money but we were not needy. The barefoot walks on hot summer days to the corner Commerce Ice Station to buy nickel cokes and then crossing Flores street to Womack's Pharmacy to peruse the Donald Duck, etc. comic books are still in my mind. Captain Jim's on Loop 13, the original El Rancho restaurant, or any other sit down eatery required some type of formal dressware.....almost like dressing for church.
The numerous drive in theaters like The Trail,& Mission were neat nightime family adventures. There were no drive-by shootings, no drug problems, and very little serious property crimes. The neighbors were sort of bound together because most all the windows were open (no A/C) and people could see out and could hear well. Also, most people had lawn chairs and polka dot ice tea glasses with which they passed idle time in the front, back, and side yards. Neighbors knew each other and pretty much watched out for each others houses and kids. Terrell Wells swimming pool was a sulpher water (warm) swimming pool with life guards, a sandy beach area on one side, a covered swing portico, and deep diving pool. I remember there was also an arcade there with a rifle that you shot at a little mechanical bear which would stand up and roar when you "hit" it. You also had to step in a pan of chlorinated water to kill fot fungus. You were also checked for any type of body sore or injury, and if you had one, you could not go in the water. This was done supposedly to prevent water borne polio from spreading to others. Speaking of which, I remember the pollio shots and booster shots and smallpox vacinations that we school kids were routinely carted off in buses to go get. I went to Gerald elementary which was located at Pleasanton Rd. and Tennessee (now Southcross). We kids would cross over fences and through other neighbors backyards to shortcut our way to school.That was not a problem in those days....just had to watch for any dogs. Radio was the main of entertainment, THEN came black and white small screen television!!! We were the second family in our block to get one. I still remember many of those shows, but not the plots. Dozens and dozens of shows came and went during that decade. I occasionaly find and buy them on dvd when I find them. Science Fiction Theater was a favorite for me, and especially Tales of The Texas Rangers on saturday morning. I recently purchased a 1957 Sears catalogue and a 1957 telephone book, to go along with a 1957 Chevrolet that I am rebuilding. If you were a red blooded American boy at that time, you hurried home from school to catch the Mickey Mouse club with Annette Funicello. I knew I liked her, but was too young to understand why.
The fifties had blemishes, of course. It was not without stain. But if I could borrow a time machine, I would go back to Grapeland street in the fifties with my old chums and neighbors several times a week. Keep the computers and cell phones (even though I like them) but just let me run down that hot road barefoot with Billy and Roy and Carl
just a few more times.
Blanco Joe
I went to Gerald Elementary. I was born in 51 and remember all the places you do I'm sure.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM

25 posts, read 62,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I should have said any former southsiders on here! Way back in this forum , spmeone asked about the old Spotted Horse Restaurant. Said thei Mother or grandmother had worked there.
I knew it as the Spotted Horse Saloon , It was in the approximate location of Hungry Farmer Restaurant at the cormer of SE Military Dr. & I-35.
Wasn't there, at one point, a pizza inn located at the Hungry Farmer? Before it became the Farmer, maybe....I remember this, cause, I also, was a southsider, at one point. The reason I remember there being a Pizza Inn, because they had a one of those sit down Pac-man arcade games.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,562 times
I'm a southsider. Grew up on East Palfrey and live near the old Mccreless Mall area now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Any southsiders on here?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Spotted Horse

The Spotted Horse Saloon was actually where the McDonald's is at Ascot & Military Dr. Your correct there was a pizza place facing I-35 at Military which is where Hungary Farmer is now. Hungary Farmer used to be just west of where it is now across the little side street. The spotted horse that used to sit atop the old Spotted Horse Saloon was kept in the foyer of Hungary Farmer for many years.

Last edited by SATX56; 07-17-2008 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: combined relies accidently

Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 PM

Spotted Horse was there until mid 60's or maybe 66-67. It was demolished to build possibly SA's first McDonald's. I went to church just behind it on Ascott & Rayburn.

Just across Ascott on Military Dr. was a used carlot which was used in scenes of "The Sugarland Express" Stephen Spielbergs !st Movie. There were also scenes filmed right by my house in which my cousins & friends managed to get there cars in. Some how my camaro was no where to be seen. But , It was so fast that's probably why it wasn't seen.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 PM

25 posts, read 62,392 times
Oh...sorry. The only memories of the southside that I have, are from the early 80's, up untill 2000.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight6662005 View Post
Wasn't there, at one point, a pizza inn located at the Hungry Farmer? Before it became the Farmer, maybe....I remember this, cause, I also, was a southsider, at one point. The reason I remember there being a Pizza Inn, because they had a one of those sit down Pac-man arcade games.
I used to like that Pizza Inn on Military and 35.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 PM

I only went to a Shakey's one time way back. It was behind McCreless Mall at Southcross & Goliad (guess they all had the banjo player). I liked Fargo's. First one I went to was in Thunderbird hills by Southwest Research.Callaghan & Culebra I guess. Then they opened one over here nearby at S. Flores & Military Dr. Wasn't there very long.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Who can forget the pancho's next to Penny's at the nw center.
Does anyone remember the Mexiteria on Broadway? All u can eat for $1.95. Yummmm, munchies!

They had that Aztec god stone in the center of the restaurant, that used to be in the old Aztec Theatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio