Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 17,746 times

Advertisements

The Drive ins. What wonderfull experences they were to go to, back in them days. The Bruce Lee movies, the Godzilla double headers and don't forget the Clint Eastwood's spaggetti westerns. I loved them all. I did have one bad experience at the drive in. That is where I tasted my first Pizza. OMG!! that piece of cardboard tasted terrible!!! I stayed away from Pizza after that for about 8 years until someone convinced me to try a real Pizza. Now i have the extra pounds to prove my love for pizza over the decades.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 17,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Anyone here old enough to remember Marios and Ninfa's? A lot of controversy over the city's takeover of Marios, but I dont recall if Ninfa's was involved in that or closed for other reason. What else was in that area before the urban redevelopment?
Yep.. that was done to build the Pink Elephant Fiesta Mall. If I recall correctly, after all that mess, the mall failed to generate business and it was eventually torn down. The physical building itself only lasted about 10 years or so. The building's inside architecture was not suitable for anything else. They considered making it the main library, but it wouldn't work for that either so the new library ended up where the old Sears building used to be. Now that area in question is the downtown UTSA building and the hotel chain next to it.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,344 times
Default Bernardo Ureste

Bernardo Ureste- that was the city councilman that was married and got caught with another woman late at night. They had an accident on the then brand new 281..right where it curves near DPT Labs. I think he fled the scene and was later caught...this lead him to resign.
Does anyone remember the details?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,016 times
Default Swingtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Does anyone remember Swingtime? It was kind of like the American Bandstand of San Antonio, on every Sat. in the late '60's. I think it was on Channel 12. Seems like there were regulars that danced every week and we all thought they were so cool! Loved that show.
I was one of the original Swingtime Swingers. I got to meet Billy Jo Royal.
I danced with Bill Cuesta, one of the regulars. And, I was the youngest
dancer at age 13. Sherry's mom approved of audition with Bill. It was a blast for about 3 yrs. We had a reunion in the 90's. With the hot lights,
I would crave water instead of the Big Red we were advised to drink.
Lotsa fun.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,695 times
Default Shakey's, The Knave, and Alfie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
I sure thought that mid 60s shakeys was on the corner where Rascals is now...you are saying it wa always in that gray building behind the bars????????
The Shakeys was the place that's now behind bars. A schoolmate of mine in HS was the manager; it was "the" connection for pizza & beer!

The place where Rascals is was The Knave Pub. Styled Old English with shuttered faux windows and exposed wood plank trim on the inside, it had brother pubs on Perrin Beitel and Broadway, I think. These other pubs had similar names (Rook, Knight, Jester, Joker, etc).

At the far left end of the strip where Rascals is now was an Alfie's Fish & Chips, remember them? It shared the same Old English styling as the Knave Pubat the other end of the strip.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 PM

86 posts, read 394,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toylasso View Post
I was one of the original Swingtime Swingers. I got to meet Billy Jo Royal.
I danced with Bill Cuesta, one of the regulars. And, I was the youngest
dancer at age 13. Sherry's mom approved of audition with Bill. It was a blast for about 3 yrs. We had a reunion in the 90's. With the hot lights,
I would crave water instead of the Big Red we were advised to drink.
Lotsa fun.
WOW, ToyLasso, I would have LOVED that! What was Bill Cuesta like? What was Sherry like? Oh dear, nosey aren't I?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 PM

35 posts, read 111,685 times
Default Dan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
All input is always welcome, but I wanted to suggest for the regulars on the GBNF in SA (and all others are welcome to join)....why don't we share what part of town we grew up on or areas that we are famliar with.

Primo = I-10 & Wurzbach area
I guess you have to be a really old guy like me to have grown up off S.Presa near Carolina St. I remember some really old things from that neighborhood like Lightfoots store which I think sold hardware and general merchandise including some sporting goods. It was actually on S.St Marys a block from Presa. It subsequently moved farther into town on St Marys but stayed in the general area. Roger's Drive in was between Presa and St Marys, and so was Maltland, a little soda fountain that sold the best malts.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
I grew up in the Dellview area. I was lucky because there were two slot car tracks in that area. The big one was in Wonderland shopping center but there was also a small shop in Dell Village that held races on friday nights. It was right next to the guitar shop. Did anybody else frequent either one of those places?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM

39 posts, read 200,475 times
Default First "Jack"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
I came up with this one while having "dinner" at a JITB in Nashville. Where was the first Jack In The Box in San Antonio and when did it open? The oldest one which I know is still going (somehow) is the one on Nacogdoches north of 410.

I'm also wondering where the first Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC was in SA and when it opened too.

Macgrad89
Hi Macgrad89;
I don't know if it was the "first", but the first JITB I remember (around 1968?) was at the corner of Military Dr. & Pleasanton Rd. across the street from Military Plaza. You ordered by talking to a large "Jack" (now he's gone on to upper management) . P.S. the "mac" in mine is MacArthur HS (teacher not grad)

Old 07-04-2008, 01:09 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times
My grandfather was a carpenter by trade. He owned the corner of S. Presa and Haliday. Remember the Sinclair station on the SE corner. One of his tenants. There was also a real estate agency there that was another tenant. She went on to dominate the real estate market in the 80's until they were sued. Went bankrupt. Her name was Rosow. It later became Rosow and Kline. Her sons ran the business when it went bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio