Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM

91 posts, read 323,638 times

Advertisements

Willsatx - Brittany Buffet at Central Park was in the spot where Luby's later opened. I don't remember Brittany so it must have been very short lived.

Linskie - the burger joint at Windsor must have been Burger Country; it had a heavy Western theme to it. This place later became a Whataburger.

Primo - the school bus incident near Comfort happened in 1987. I still remember clearly the images of the look of terror in the eyes of that one gal as she looked at the helicopter while she was in the water. She was one of the kids who didn't make it.

Macgrad89

Old 06-28-2008, 07:39 AM

55 posts, read 232,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Willsatx - Brittany Buffet at Central Park was in the spot where Luby's later opened. I don't remember Brittany so it must have been very short lived.

Linskie - the burger joint at Windsor must have been Burger Country; it had a heavy Western theme to it. This place later became a Whataburger.

Primo - the school bus incident near Comfort happened in 1987. I still remember clearly the images of the look of terror in the eyes of that one gal as she looked at the helicopter while she was in the water. She was one of the kids who didn't make it.

Macgrad89
Bingo! That's it. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:40 PM

24 posts, read 59,940 times
Default The rest of your ditty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
I just remembered this ditty from a YMCA commercial:

There's fun in the water
But there's danger too
So you gotta swim well
So nothing happen to you

Learn how to swim
At the YMCA
Learn how to swim
At the YMCA

There's another verse, but I am not recalling it. Something like It's so easy to learn, or something like that.
"Learn how to swim,
but never swim alone,
there's safety in numbers,
don't strike out on your own!

and never dive,
unless you know,
the waters not to shallow,
and it's clear below!!

Oh there's fun in the water,
but there's danger too,
and you gotta swim well so,
nothing happens to you.

Learn how to swim at the YMCA, learn (fade)

Old 06-28-2008, 03:45 PM

24 posts, read 59,940 times
Default Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear-here View Post
Hello, I just stumbled on to this forum and it has really brought back some memories. I haven't been able to read everything yet so please bear with me it I repeat.

Flashbacks from the Southside:

I remember the Three Bears by McCreless it had to be mid 60's my uncle worked there for a while.

I also remember Youngblood's (wasn't it fried chicken?) across from the Sears on Military Drive....later on it was a restaurant called Sgetti's in the late 70's and probably numerous others in between.

Brittany Buffet was a Luby's type restaurant (which later became Luby's) in the shopping strip between Sears and Dillard's on Military Drive.

There was a Griff's on Pleasanton Rd. where the hamburgers were "just a dime, and a nickel" (from the commercial). I think it might still be there. Behind the Griff's was a little restaurant called "The Taco Hut"

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but does anyone remember the "Flame" restaurant on S.E. Military Drive? We always had the fish because it was the best.

There was also a First Mate on Military Drive "always clean as a whistle"

I used to work at the G.W Jr.s on Pecan Valley!

Does anyone remember the "Ole Toro" fast food place on Military? Globe Shopping City? FedMart? Spartan-Atlantic? Sadly they are all gone.

I was sure surprised to see the growth around what was once Brooks AFB where my dad was stationed when I was a little boy.

I believe that Logan Stewart was the one on the radio who would say "Hola!!! A todos mis amigos!!"
I used to live on Nash Blvd right off Goliad road. I used to think that Mccreless was the biggest thing. The Flame had great burgers, right over by the S.A. river. I worked at Floyds dairy bar, my first job at 15. Oh and it wasnt cole slaw at First Mate, it was "Sea Farin salad" wish I had the recipe.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:47 PM

38 posts, read 89,632 times
For those of you who love (or now almost "loved", unfortunately) Karam's, we were there tonight, and tomorrow is the last day it will be open. Tonight it is packed, loud and fun, but I bet tomorow is going to be pretty somber. Go get your last Super Chalupa while you can.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 PM

91 posts, read 323,638 times
Default First Jack In The Box in SA

I came up with this one while having "dinner" at a JITB in Nashville. Where was the first Jack In The Box in San Antonio and when did it open? The oldest one which I know is still going (somehow) is the one on Nacogdoches north of 410.

I'm also wondering where the first Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC was in SA and when it opened too.

Macgrad89

Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 17,743 times
Default Sorry, my paragraphs are not separating.

WOW, Love the trip down memory lane. There used to be another Joske's that I remember at the corner of Gen. Mcmullen and Castroville, Las Palmas center. I joined the Navy because of Captn Gus, just to become a Matey! I also remember the Buttercrust, the Coca Cola bottling company and the Symphony field trip when i was in elementary. I was left wondering then if the adults in college would go on field trips to the Lone Star, Jax, Pearl or Flagstaff brewerys and if they would get a free jumbo and a brown paper bag to put them in. LOL A little trivia about those brown paper bags. Back in the early days before plastic, they also had wax paper bags. Remember them? What the winos would do is get one of those small wax paper bags and cut a small corner off the bottom. They would then put their jumbo inside the bag and fill it with ice. The small cut would let the water drain so it wouldn't spill back on them while they drank. Presto, the original wine cooler. Talking about beverages, I miss the Hippo bottling company and their unique sodas. Their Grapette soda was the bomb. Then there was the milk man delivering milk door to door and the pre huggies era of diaper truck companies. LOL

Last edited by LaGloria; 06-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Sorry, my paragraphs are not separating.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjp7983 View Post
For those of you who love (or now almost "loved", unfortunately) Karam's, we were there tonight, and tomorrow is the last day it will be open. Tonight it is packed, loud and fun, but I bet tomorow is going to be pretty somber. Go get your last Super Chalupa while you can.
What a bummer. Paul Marie is now a Sonic, What's next The Malt House? I hope not.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGloria View Post
WOW, Love the trip down memory lane. There used to be another Joske's that I remember at the corner of Gen. Mcmullen and Castroville, Las Palmas center. I joined the Navy because of Captn Gus, just to become a Matey! I also remember the Buttercrust, the Coca Cola bottling company and the Symphony field trip when i was in elementary. I was left wondering then if the adults in college would go on field trips to the Lone Star, Jax, Pearl or Flagstaff brewerys and if they would get a free jumbo and a brown paper bag to put them in. LOL A little trivia about those brown paper bags. Back in the early days before plastic, they also had wax paper bags. Remember them? What the winos would do is get one of those small wax paper bags and cut a small corner off the bottom. They would then put their jumbo inside the bag and fill it with ice. The small cut would let the water drain so it wouldn't spill back on them while they drank. Presto, the original wine cooler. Talking about beverages, I miss the Hippo bottling company and their unique sodas. Their Grapette soda was the bomb. Then there was the milk man delivering milk door to door and the pre huggies era of diaper truck companies. LOL
Love your post & memories! LMAO with the wino cooler!! Cheers!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:15 AM

Default Is there a trick to getting the paragraphs to separate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGloria View Post
... I was left wondering then if the adults in college would go on field trips to the Lone Star, Jax, Pearl or Flagstaff brewerys and if they would get a free jumbo and a brown paper bag to put them in. LOL
After reading my previous post......Flagstaff!!!! LOL I have been living in Arizona too long (20 years). I meant to say Falstaff beer! Then there was Bongo Joe. And who can forget Ozzie Osborn reliving himself on the sacred wall of the Alamo where William Travis, Jim Bowie and the likes had probably done the same 150 + years ago. Remember when President Ford came to town. I heard he tried to eat a tamale without shucking the corn husk first. LOL The poor guy and his accidents. Many of you know this already, but if you want to eat a good tamale, toast it on top of the griddle first, with or without the corn husk. People that have never tried it are suprised at how good they make tamales taste. That is the only way I eat tamales. Linda Medlar? .... It may not be related really, but then there was Theresa Brown, the madam to the stars in San Antonio. Apart from the Cisneros Alamo Dome, there was the South Texas Nuclear Project or as (Dubya Bush would say,.... Nucular). Then there was the very appropriately painted Pink Elephant also known as Fiesta Mall. But why stop there. Cisneros muffed up his position as head of HUD. Bernardo Ureste was his nemesis and made city council business interesting before the powers ran him out of town. Question: I've asked this from many of my friends and relatives and no one seems to know the answer. What happened to Frank Wing (city council member)? I've noticed he has a building named after him. Did he pass away and became a sentimental favorite to name a city building after him? My paragraphs won't separate. I hit the return/enter key twice and still no dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio