Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM

139 posts, read 504,354 times

Advertisements

Heading out to Southern Cal. I will be eating at a diner that was opened in the 60's I think. It has great Home cooked meals. It is called Johns. Cheap prices. Reminds me of Something like the Pig Stand. You all have a great weekend. HHW

Old 01-16-2009, 09:46 PM

6 posts, read 33,077 times
At the risk of repeating myself: does anyone remember the 30 or better Summers Rexall drugstores in San Antonio? I worked there when school was out for almost three years. I loved every minute of it! In all 30 of them at one time or another. Does anyone know how to obtain a vintage menu from one of these stores?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:07 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsenior View Post
At the risk of repeating myself: does anyone remember the 30 or better Summers Rexall drugstores in San Antonio? I worked there when school was out for almost three years. I loved every minute of it! In all 30 of them at one time or another. Does anyone know how to obtain a vintage menu from one of these stores?

Of course, I remember Sommer's Rexall Drug Stores. The end of them was pretty much the end of fountain drinks in S.A.! As far as Menu's, I have no clue how you would find such a relic!! But it probably exists somewhere!!
Oops! I probably don't recall all 30 , but quite a few!!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times
Was in Helotes the other day and something that was GBNF is coming back, there is a Colonna's grill opening up there soon. I hope the pizza is as good as it used to be.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
My Mom worked for Summer's Drugstore when she was pregnant with me!! She worked at the one in Colonies North Mall. As I understand it, they got bought out be Rexall, which in turn got bought out by Eckard.

Interesting story. Back in the old days, all these drugstores had lunch counters. My mom was from Ukraine by way of New Jersey. In SA back then, all these lunch counters served up traditional Tex Mex enchilades. My mom refused to eat them, having a Eastern European and New Jeresy background. But one day she told the lunch counter cook she was craving enchilades with raw onions. The lady who ran the lunch counter told her immediately she was pregnant. My mom told her she was crazy but days later her doctor told her she was pregnant with me!!!

Personally. I like my enchilades with fried onions. Apparently one's personal choice of onions doesn't seep into the genetic code.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM

45 posts, read 149,566 times
Quote:
I remember the Summers Rexall on SW Military Drive near Plesanton Road. My neighbor, who was like my second grandmother, worked at the lunch counter for years.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 PM

91 posts, read 323,638 times
Default Sommers Drugs

Back on the board and thawing out after a COLD week in Tennessee. Got down to 3 degrees above zero here on Thursday morning...

Off the top of my head I can remember Sommers Drug Stores at:

Bitters/Nacogdoches (MacArthur Plaza Shopping Center; between Winn's and H-E-B)

Wurzbach/I-10 (next to H-E-B)

Jefferson Village (Wilson/Donaldson)

The store near MacArthur opened around 1973-1974 and did not have a lunch counter.

While thinking this one over, I remembered SupeRx Drugs. There was one at Thousand Oaks/Nacogdoches, next to the old Handy-Andy which is now Midnight Rodeo. Interestingly, SupeRx was owned at one time by Kroger. This SupeRx closed in the mid-to-late 80s.

Across the street and down Perrin-Beitel at the corner with Naco-Perrin was Skillern's Drugs in the Perrin Plaza Shopping Center. Skillern's was out of Dallas (owned at one time by Zales Inc. of jewelry fame) and I think was bought from Zales by Revco. There was also a Skillern's in the Northern Hills Shopping Center. The Skillern's at Perrin Plaza closed while the one at Northern Hills became a Revco and closed in the early 90s.

Did we ever figure out how many Magnamarts there were in SA? I can think of two and possibly three - San Pedro just north of 410 and South Flores. There may have been one at I-35/Eisenhauer. These became Eagle stores but didn't stay open for long.

Macgrad89

Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Does anyone remember the huge discount drug store across from North Star Mall in the early 1990's. It was there around 1992-1994. It was sort of a cross between a dollar store and a Walmart, both in products and in size. It was located where the Sam Ash music store is now, or else right next to it. In that same center were also Service Merchandise and Best Buy (before it moved around the corner).

There was one entrance door on the right front corner of the store. So when you walked in you were on the far right aisle and the store opened up to the left. The store was made of up mostly aisles of merchandise. Very tall aisles. Except for a small area at the far left back with a jewelry counter and maybe electronics.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone remember the huge discount drug store across from North Star Mall in the early 1990's. It was there around 1992-1994. It was sort of a cross between a dollar store and a Walmart, both in products and in size. It was located where the Sam Ash music store is now, or else right next to it. In that same center were also Service Merchandise and Best Buy (before it moved around the corner).

There was one entrance door on the right front corner of the store. So when you walked in you were on the far right aisle and the store opened up to the left. The store was made of up mostly aisles of merchandise. Very tall aisles. Except for a small area at the far left back with a jewelry counter and maybe electronics.
That was called Pharmor. My cousin worked there. My mom still has hydrogen perioxide bottles with their price tag. I remember it was only there a very short time.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,824 times
Quote:
I remember the one in McCreless Mall. My dad used to visit the soda fountain for coffee when my mom went shopping. I'd visit the comic book section!

I also remember the one at Wonderland. They had the best chocolate cokes ever! When they were bought out, the soda fountain and the cokes went bye-bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio