Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,449,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Was it an old Whopper or Whata.. 1/2 way between Southcross and Fair Ave. on South Presa? Coming home from the Airport the other night, noticed something has opened up in the bldg. It's been shut down for many years . Is it the one you are referring to?? Murf's maybe . How long have they been around? Two Griff's left in town I believe!
Question on your post, but are there 2 griff's in town? I have not been to the one on pleasanton for years. Also a question for you since you are famaliar with the area do you know what year they opened the big winn's on pleasanton pass military?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,011,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question on your post, but are there 2 griff's in town? I have not been to the one on pleasanton for years. Also a question for you since you are famaliar with the area do you know what year they opened the big winn's on pleasanton pass military?
Hello Will, I believe GBNF has a photo of the sign anyway from one on Hillcrest I believe. I certainly would have seen it, but didn't recall it. The one on Pleasanton is still operating. I assumed there were two with the one on Hillcrest still going!! I didn't know until a couple years ago it was a franchised operation!! Think some are still alive up north!

The Winn's on Pleasanton between Formosa and Hutchins...?? I remember them building it . It replaced our old one on S. Flores Street just north of Southcross!! Late 70's early 80's I'd say. I need another event to tie it to and just can't think of one! Probably close to 1980! Hope this helps Will.
Looking back at your question ..there was one at Pleasanton and Southcross and one at Flores and Military at one time. Think they popped up after the big one south of Military Drive!! Later!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM

22 posts, read 72,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I completely forgot about this place on the corner of San Pedro and Jackson-Keller! I remember driving by this place in the 1970's as my parents would drive over to visit friends on the other side of Oblate. I think in the 1980's it was converted to a kind of strip mall. Anybody have any better memories of it?
Sorry guys, still catching up here!

My brother got married in 1979 and his entire wedding party stayed at the Town and Country Lodge on San Pedro. Used to be a great place and I loved that GW found the old postcard picture!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

45 posts, read 149,867 times
Quote:
Was it an old Whopper or Whata.. 1/2 way between Southcross and Fair Ave. on South Presa? Coming home from the Airport the other night, noticed something has opened up in the bldg. It's been shut down for many years . Is it the one you are referring to?? Murf's maybe . How long have they been around? Two Griff's left in town I believe!
I have been trying to remember the name of the street (1 block dead end at the RR tracks) that intersected with S. Presa. Anyway, on the corner was a burger place. For some reason I want to say it was Murf's Better Burger???? Had really round boy in chefs outfit holding up a tray, burger, something. Never ate there, best friend lived on dead end after she married in 1979. I haven't been by there in years.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM

45 posts, read 149,867 times
Was the street Webb?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,011,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
I have been trying to remember the name of the street (1 block dead end at the RR tracks) that intersected with S. Presa. Anyway, on the corner was a burger place. For some reason I want to say it was Murf's Better Burger???? Had really round boy in chefs outfit holding up a tray, burger, something. Never ate there, best friend lived on dead end after she married in 1979. I haven't been by there in years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
Was the street Webb?

I'm sure we are speaking of the same place. Webb maybe?? I'll try to get back to you on that!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,809 times
Default Fox-Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Fox photo has been barely mentioned here. How many remember these little drive-up Kiosks? They were based in San Antonio, and revolutionized the consumer photographic market in the US, so much so that Kodack had to aquire them in the mid 1980's.
I've recently started looking through old family photos and found that Co. stamped on the back of one. Two of my cousins and I have been trying to figure out what relative is in the picture. We didn't think any of our family lived in San Antonio. Anyway it occured to me that that's where it was developed or where the co. was based. Interesting pics from 1947 era, has a Greek like pattern around the border. I'm going to try to upload them. Well I just went to upload and I don't know what hot linking is or how to do it. Maybe some other time.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,449,125 times
Thanks for the info SATX just have to go back and see where the other griff's was at.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 38,651 times
Quote:
"Berg's Mill" has always intrigued me. I remember as far back as 1965, riding across the old narrow bridge. I recall a mysterious looking bar next to the bridge. "Bertha's" the name , spooky looking couldn't see the entrance from the road. Then just up the road the pecan farms and the infamous RR crossing!! Me and a buddy used to skip school and picnic around there!! Then the Aqueducts closer to Stinson. The city has made a little park area around it now. There used to be a small rock Bldg sort of boarded up next to the aqueducts. I've forgotten if it still stands! I've read some about the old mill's built along the river in this area. Ashley's Salvage on Roosevelt probably owned that land since 1800's. There was an Ashley Mill in or near Berg's!!
The annex housing another interesting subject . Where Memorial Stadium (or whatever it's called now) stands was once rows of two story annex Building's. Used to ride through there all the time on motorcycle mid and late 60's. Seems like some were torn down over time and only 2 to 4 bldg's remained at the north end of the enclosed area. The streets were numbered 99th and such!! The southern end of the property had single story annex bldg's with various uses. I think Harlandale used some for Special Ed. classes and may have been Machine shop or furniture shop in there! I've always wondered about these also Brooks Pkwy at Flores and Military Dr.(Where Academy is now). Were these built for WWII?? Couldn't really find info on them. All Air Force Villages???
Berg's Mill, Loved the place. Used to run around out there in the early 60's. Do you remember May's Rabbitery in Bergs Mill. It was row upon row of rabbit and Guinea Pig cages. I guess they sold them commercialy. Anyway, we used to steal their rabbits and guinea pigs. Funny, I don't remember what we did with them. The place with the barracks was called Stinson Homes. The rent was set by how much money you made so it was kinda of a rough place. I lived there from 60 to 62 though it seems much longer. I have a lot of great memories from that place.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,309,140 times
Here is something new. Looks like the all the "Steak Escapes" have closed in San Antonio. I went to the last one in Huebner today and it is now a "Steak and Potatos" (Horrible name!). Its a very weird place. They still serve the same sandwiches, and the menu on the wall looks the same (they even have the same names i.e. the grand escape), though all Steak Escape logos have been removed. The fries are the same, everything. But now they serve Gyros and Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches as well as Viena Beef Hot Dogs. The signs outside the place all look somewhat homemade, and the strangest thing is the cups are those Roma cups you always see at small mom and pop pizza places.

I asked the girl at the counter what happened and she said she thought Steak Escape got bought out, but I checked on the web and found no new reports of them being acquired. In fact, when you do a search on San Antonio locations, only the Huebner Oaks location shows up. I think they must have dropped or lost their franchise partnership and are going it solo. I wonder how wise a move this will prove in the current economic climate.

Anybody have any idea what's going with these guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio