Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,161,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Those are good books and there is a new one titled San Antonio; Then, Now & Always. It has 350 images mostly in color and covers everything from Kiddie Park & Pig Stand on Broadway to the long gone Trail Drive-In on Loop 13, also a bunch of other old SA places, some gone and others still in place. It is a very good book with not only lots of cool fotos but also a lot of neat history and personal stories as well. Of course I'm biased because I wrote it and am also a South Sider, well actually SE since I graduated from Highlands. It is a big book at a fair price and should be available at Barnes & Noble, Borders and the Twig on Broadway. Or you can get it from Amazon discounted a little. It is my 5th book about San Antonio and I just started number six but the others are mostly sold out.
Thanks for the info BudB...I'm definitely going to Amazon.com and pick up a copy. I'd support one of the local book stores in SA but I'm only down there 2-3 times a year. I love reading personal stories on the history of San Antonio, hence this thread! Take care!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,380,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Thanks for the info BudB...I'm definitely going to Amazon.com and pick up a copy. I'd support one of the local book stores in SA but I'm only down there 2-3 times a year. I love reading personal stories on the history of San Antonio, hence this thread! Take care!

I HAVE IT~ It's WONDERFUL!...now I need it autographed!

Thanks BudB

Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,380,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
In honor and appreciate of GWhopper, I would like to suggest all members of GBNF in SA to make the effort to go eat at your local Murf's Better Burger or Burger Boy at various locations around town....it brings back memories of old school Whopper Burger. They really are the best burgers in town. I eat at Burger Boy on St. Mary's every monday. Take a younger family member there..and say...this is where you ate burgers as a child and not McDonalds. And lets all raise our orange freezie in a toast to all his efforts.

I am not sure why one is called Burger Boy..they have the "Bates Special" too. Probably something similar to Taco Cabana and Sobrero Rosa.
I love Burger Boy! Have spent many $$$ there on lunch breaks! GW is the owner? Murf Bates??

Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 AM

237 posts, read 852,264 times
Many thanx for the support 940 and I sincerely hope that you'll enjoy reading San Antonio; Then, Now & Always. It was truly a labor of love since I never get tired of talking or writing about my hometown. Someone told me that the Moderator would pull my message since it's advertising. If so, it was totally unplanned but I understand that rules must be followed. Apparently they haven't seen it yet so I'm happy that you did already and look forward to any comments or criticisms that you may care to share after getting a copy. As with any book there are mistakes in it and there's a really dumb one in my book. I have now made an Errata page showing where the goofs are and setting them right. When you get a copy let me know and I'll email you the Errata page so you can see how the mistakes should read. The extra dumb one is that I mistakenly referred to St. Joseph's Church on E. Commerce within the old Joske's building as St. Paul's. I never found a postcard of that old church(aka St. Joske's) but it appears in the background of four other views in the book. So each of those captions refers to St. Paul's when they should read St. Joseph's. There are a few other errors noted on the Errata page so now whenever I place copies somewhere like at the Twig bookstore, I include a copy in the back. Alas, all the copies sold elsewhere like Borders, B&N or Amazon there is no Errata page and so some readers may think I'm a dumby or worse. Anyhow, thanx again for taking note of my new book and all the best from Austin.
Cheerio and adios for now, Mel B
ps; you mentioned "getting down there" so I assume that you no longer live in SA either. May I ask where you are?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 AM

237 posts, read 852,264 times
Default many thanx

"In honor and appreciate of GWhopper ,,," Hey there Primo, thank you for bringing up the old Whoppers. There was one on S. Gevers near Goliad R. when I was in high school at Highlands and they did indeed make the best and biggest burgers around then. Occasionally I would "forget" my lunch bag, then phone home and ask my dad to pick up a couple of the Whoppers and drop them off at school at noon. He would oblige, I would go on into the cafeteria and as soon as the smell of that great Whopper started hitting nearby noses I could start the bidding on the extra one. Always made a couple bucks on a hamburger that then cost a whopping .79 cents as I recall. The fast food craze put all the independent burger joints out of business I guess, so I am very pleased to learn that someone is making them again. Thanks again for the tip Primo, I will certainly try to find Murph's or a Burger Boy next time we get to SA, next week hopefully.
Dang, all of a sudden I'm hungry!! later, Bud

Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 AM

45 posts, read 149,721 times
Was/is there still a Murf's on S. Presa?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,161,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Many thanx for the support 940 and I sincerely hope that you'll enjoy reading San Antonio; Then, Now & Always. It was truly a labor of love since I never get tired of talking or writing about my hometown.
ps; you mentioned "getting down there" so I assume that you no longer live in SA either. May I ask where you are?
Thanks for the info..I'll let you know once I get a copy and then we'll go from there. I'm in Chicago now...very very snowy Chicago this morning...but I still get down to SA to visit the folks...take care!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:18 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,915,120 times
"Berg's Mill" has always intrigued me. I remember as far back as 1965, riding across the old narrow bridge. I recall a mysterious looking bar next to the bridge. "Bertha's" the name , spooky looking couldn't see the entrance from the road. Then just up the road the pecan farms and the infamous RR crossing!! Me and a buddy used to skip school and picnic around there!! Then the Aqueducts closer to Stinson. The city has made a little park area around it now. There used to be a small rock Bldg sort of boarded up next to the aqueducts. I've forgotten if it still stands! I've read some about the old mill's built along the river in this area. Ashley's Salvage on Roosevelt probably owned that land since 1800's. There was an Ashley Mill in or near Berg's!!
The annex housing another interesting subject . Where Memorial Stadium (or whatever it's called now) stands was once rows of two story annex Building's. Used to ride through there all the time on motorcycle mid and late 60's. Seems like some were torn down over time and only 2 to 4 bldg's remained at the north end of the enclosed area. The streets were numbered 99th and such!! The southern end of the property had single story annex bldg's with various uses. I think Harlandale used some for Special Ed. classes and may have been Machine shop or furniture shop in there! I've always wondered about these also Brooks Pkwy at Flores and Military Dr.(Where Academy is now). Were these built for WWII?? Couldn't really find info on them. All Air Force Villages???

Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,915,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
Was/is there still a Murf's on S. Presa?
Was it an old Whopper or Whata.. 1/2 way between Southcross and Fair Ave. on South Presa? Coming home from the Airport the other night, noticed something has opened up in the bldg. It's been shut down for many years . Is it the one you are referring to?? Murf's maybe . How long have they been around? Two Griff's left in town I believe!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,549,728 times
I wonder what ever happened to the hugh chef balloons that sat on top of the Whopper Burgers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio