Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2023, 11:32 AM

43,409 posts, read 18,498,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am not concerned with what Jews or any other group believe ABOUT God. There are no OTHER Gods to worship no matter what you THINK God is like and wants. Human religious beliefs have nothing to do with who or what God IS! As Jesus made abundantly clear as He died at our hands, "We know not what we do!!!" The ignorance about God is legion!
There are many roads to the same destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 12:40 PM

10,122 posts, read 6,484,606 times
Quote:
I am not concerned with what Jews or any other group believe ABOUT God. There are no OTHER Gods to worship no matter what you THINK God is like and wants. Human religious beliefs have nothing to do with who or what God IS! As Jesus made abundantly clear as He died at our hands, "We know not what we do!!!" The ignorance about God is legion!
I notice that you didn't answer my question.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There are many roads to the same destination.
Apparently only Mystic knows the correct road, based on his numerous, redundant posts here.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:01 PM

63,992 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I notice that you didn't answer my question.
The answer is No, I was not saying the Jews did not believe in one God (eventually). They and their Torah were clearly the chosen messengers and gene pool through which God incarnated to bring His Holy Spirit to humanity. As primitives in savage and brutal eras, they misunderstood and misinterpreted God, IMO (and my experiences), but apparently so have billions and billions of our entire species to date!

Old 01-30-2023, 04:46 PM

43,409 posts, read 18,498,877 times
Common among religions going back to the beginning....

Belief in some supreme diety
Give this diety a name
Create stories, statues, rituals, books about what this diety wants us to do on earth
Follow the rules and when you die you go to a defined paradise.

We've been doing the same thing since the beginning.
It's just the labels and definitions change.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:
The answer is No, I was not saying the Jews did not believe in one God (eventually). They and their Torah were clearly the chosen messengers and gene pool through which God incarnated to bring His Holy Spirit to humanity. As primitives in savage and brutal eras, they misunderstood and misinterpreted God, IMO (and my experiences), but apparently so have billions and billions of our entire species to date!
Well, we all have opinions. Yours are no more valid than anyone else's. As for your experience, you have no idea what experience(s) the Jews or anyone else have had of G-d, which may be just as valid, or more so, than yours. To say that the Jews "misinterpreted and misunderstood G-d" is, at the least, an extremely narrow view.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Well, we all have opinions. Yours are no more valid than anyone else's. As for your experience, you have no idea what experience(s) the Jews or anyone else have had of G-d, which may be just as valid, or more so, than yours. To say that the Jews "misinterpreted and misunderstood G-d" is, at the least, an extremely narrow view.
I do not know and cannot know what the ancient Hebrews actually thought of their God. But in all honesty, if I had ANY doubt whatsoever about what God is like (which given my encounters I don't!), I would consider the OT God as presented in scripture to be a very ungodly, petty, and monstrous God bordering on megalomaniacal.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I do not know and cannot know what the ancient Hebrews actually thought of their God. But in all honesty, if I had ANY doubt whatsoever about what God is like (which given my encounters I don't!), I would consider the OT God as presented in scripture to be a very ungodly, petty, and monstrous God bordering on megalomaniacal.
So you consider the Ten Commandments as the dictation of an "ungodly, petty, and monstrous G-d"?

Old 01-31-2023, 07:17 AM

1,400 posts, read 775,428 times
Hi Thrillobyte,

You might get sick of the church and some of the people in it, but please don't hold what they do against our Lord Jesus the Messiah, the Christ.

Someone said "If you ever find a perfect church, don't join it because you'll ruin it" and this is true for all of us. If you have not asked Jesus (Who is alive forevermore) to come into your heart and RECEIVE Him as your Lord and Savior, you really must, if you want to know Him personally (in your soul) and be forgiven of all your sins, and inherit eternal life and know as you walk every day on this Earth that you are not alone. The idea is that when we receive His love and guidance on an ongoing basis, we then share that love with other people. The more we love them, the less we judge them. The most important thing is that you come to KNOW Jesus personally, as YOUR Lord and Savior. He makes all the difference in this life and the life to come. Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened unto you.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
So you consider the Ten Commandments as the dictation of an "ungodly, petty, and monstrous G-d"?
No, because I see them through the "mind of Christ." They were very necessary primary instructions for our very savage and undisciplined ancestors and they were phrased to be understood by ignorant spiritually immature savages. That is the problem with reading such early recordings as if they were intended for a civilized and spiritually mature modern mind.

The scriptures were phrased to be ":audience-specific," much as our instructions to our children were geared to their level of understanding and immaturity. A failure to consider this aspect of our species' spiritual childhood has been a major failing of religious leadership, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality