Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2023, 11:53 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
On the contrary, I despise the ignorance, misunderstanding, and misrepresentation of what Christ represented and revealed about God that has been the misbegotten history of Christianity! It is apparent to me that the view of God in most religions seems to be of some wrathful and vengeful superior being who needs to be appeased by us pathetic, misbegotten, and worthless human beings whose "doings" are but unworthy "filthy rags."

That is NOT the God I encountered who eliminated my atheism instantly! That is also NOT the God described, revealed, and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus on the Cross, either!!! I would never have responded positively to such a God. The multi-millennial retention of such belief about God is completely inexplicable to me since it is such an obviously primitive and barbaric belief, IMO. From where did this seemingly universal and thoroughly depraved, degenerate, dissolute, and iniquitous self-concept of our humanity originate???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
but you yourself perpetuate a dismal view of humanity when you describe humanity in the ways that you do.
whereas there have been, then and now, those who see humanity all of humanity as beloved children of the Creator.

God doesn't make junk. when you insult humanity in the many ways that you do over and over and over and over, you are insulting God's creation, and criticizing the very offspring of the Creator, who are literally and figuratively made in His image.
You need to reread my post, Tzaph. I do not believe God makes junk. I DO see us ALL as beloved children of God but we definitely do not ALL act like it! That was the whole point of my decrying the dominant religious view of God and humanity. The inescapable truth, IMO, is that WE (in the name of God) THINK AND DO JUNK AND DESPICABLE THINGS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 01:33 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
You need to reread my post, Tzaph. I do not believe God makes junk. I DO see us ALL as beloved children of God but we definitely do not ALL act like it! That was the whole point of my decrying the dominant religious view of God and humanity. The inescapable truth, IMO, is that WE (in the name of God) THINK AND DO JUNK AND DESPICABLE THINGS!
Not WE, but SOME of us do. And, btw, NOT doing so has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus either.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Not WE, but SOME of us do. And, btw, NOT doing so has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus either.
In my case, it has everything to do with Jesus as THE representative of the God I encountered. I would still be an atheist if I had to believe the things the dominant religions believe about God. The God I encountered would NEVER countenance many of the despicable things people in the dominant religions THINK God wants from us and will do to us if we don't believe the right things.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:36 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
In my case, it has everything to do with Jesus as THE representative of the God I encountered. I would still be an atheist if I had to believe the things the dominant religions believe about God. The God I encountered would NEVER countenance many of the despicable things people in the dominant religions THINK God wants from us and will do to us if we don't believe the right things.
your focus in your posts continues to be on the "despicable."
that is where you are putting your focus, your thoughts, your words, your energy.

since that is not what you encountered in your life-changing moments, why not focus on what you encountered, instead of focusing on the "despicable?"

Old 02-07-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
your focus in your posts continues to be on the "despicable."
that is where you are putting your focus, your thoughts, your words, your energy.

since that is not what you encountered in your life-changing moments, why not focus on what you encountered, instead of focusing on the "despicable?"
Believe it or not, IRL I do that very thing, Tzaph. Here, I feel compelled to try to change the despicable things by correcting the bogus rationales for them. It is an obligation in my mind because I was blessed with the encounter due to no merit or worthiness on my part. It is paying it forward as is my prayer warrior group IRL.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:34 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, IRL I do that very thing, Tzaph. Here, I feel compelled to try to change the despicable things by correcting the bogus rationales for them. It is an obligation in my mind because I was blessed with the encounter due to no merit or worthiness on my part. It is paying it forward as is my prayer warrior group IRL.
darkness doesn't defeat darkness. it only adds more darkness.
what dissolves darkness, is light.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:19 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
It is an opinion that what MysticPhD feels compelled to do is darkness. Of course, the reasons are there to form that perspective, but that is not the only perspective that can be formed.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:44 AM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
You may very well consider yourself blessed. But you are also indulging in the messiah complex. That is not real, it is simply your ego. You forget we are all blessed, every one. We only need to recognize it and one has to know that to recognize that. You cannot do that for anyone, we all need to do it ourself. You cannot teach someone what they are not ready for. Please take Tzaph’s excellent counsel and be at peace. Stop proselytizing.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:49 AM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It is an opinion that what MysticPhD feels compelled to do is darkness. Of course, the reasons are there to form that perspective, but that is not the only perspective that can be formed.
We perceive what we are conditioned to perceive.
That is not how I understood Tzaph to mean. You cannot remove hate by being hateful is what I understood. You may remove hate with kindness, but no guarantee. Jesus said do it anyway, return kindness for hate.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:00 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
That's consistent with my experience. You had a transcendent experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality