Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2023, 02:55 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

Heaven would not be heaven if the rebellious were allowed to occupy it.
Satan was kicked out for his rebellion.
God is insuring those He chooses do not disrupt things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 03:07 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I doubt that. The early Christian lost a lot of scientific knowledge because it did not follow their pneumatic theology, so they simply did not copy it.
Do you mean Pneumatology ?

Old 01-14-2023, 04:46 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Satan was kicked out for his rebellion. God is insuring those He chooses do not disrupt things.
Sinner Satan chose to make himself into a Satan a Devil - James 1:13-15
Sinner Satan is wicked and ALL the wicked are to be destroyed forever - Psalms 37:38; 92:7; 104:35
Sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus - Hebrews 2:14 B

Old 01-14-2023, 06:36 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
This is an interesting thought.
You cannot sin in Heaven?
Since everyone has sinned on earth , how can God possibly stop every single sin on the other side?
I’ve heard of NDEs , whereby God sent someone to Hell, because they “would keep sin alive” in Heaven.
Are God’s expectations realistic here though?
Those in Hell will obviously keep sinning and cursing, because there’s no way out.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Christianity may have started off as something noble....
Forgive me for not reading all the dozens of previous pages, just the first & the last two pages. Your initial post I suspect was dealt with somewhere in there: that Jesus being a historical figure and the question of true divine knowledge/salvation being represented by modern versions of Christianity are separate issues.

I think the mention by Josephus and the establishment of various contemporaneous Jesus "cults" in the region by enthusiastic followers are more persuasive than the denials of his ever existing.

But an important thing that doesn't seem to get discussed much (I think, but I've steered clear of "church society" talk for decades after my years-long involvement therein) is simply that Jesus lived and died as a Jew. He didn't start the thing called Christianity. He apparently was considered to be a rabbi who had a cult formed around him in various towns in the region that became minor forms of Judaism.

It wasn't until Paul entered the picture years later that it became something much different. That is the seed of the movement that has grown and divided and fought itself & others and mutated over millennia into the approximately 45,000 different versions of "the true faith" that exist today. Politics has had a major influence on shaping it every step of the way, starting with the Roman military officer Paul who organized it in the latter first century despite never seeing or hearing Jesus himself. Then Emperor Constantine, Luther's princely backers from the city-state movement, the Council of Trent, etc...

I think the question of Jesus' existence is more than probable, but we can argue about the supernatural validity of churches or divinely revealed books.

Old 01-15-2023, 03:59 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Do you mean Pneumatology ?
No, I was using the word to mean ideas that excluded Greek materialist atomism.

Old 01-15-2023, 05:55 PM

427 posts, read 127,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, I was using the word to mean ideas that excluded Greek materialist atomism.

Materialist atomism. I like that. It makes me feel like a dog.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:24 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Sinner Satan chose to make himself into a Satan a Devil - James 1:13-15
Sinner Satan is wicked and ALL the wicked are to be destroyed forever - Psalms 37:38; 92:7; 104:35
Sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus - Hebrews 2:14 B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
This is an interesting thought.
You cannot sin in Heaven?
Since everyone has sinned on earth , how can God possibly stop every single sin on the other side?
I’ve heard of NDEs , whereby God sent someone to Hell, because they “would keep sin alive” in Heaven.
Are God’s expectations realistic here though?
Those in Hell will obviously keep sinning and cursing, because there’s no way out.

It is simply astonishing to me that people living in the 21st Century can still believe in and profess these Bronze Age superstitions from 2000 years ago. 21 centuries of advancements in knowledge and technology have done nothing to loosen the hold these myths and old wives tales exert otherwise modern minds.

As Spock would say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6MkESn1v1w

Old 01-15-2023, 07:34 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Forgive me for not reading all the dozens of previous pages, just the first & the last two pages. Your initial post I suspect was dealt with somewhere in there: that Jesus being a historical figure and the question of true divine knowledge/salvation being represented by modern versions of Christianity are separate issues.

I think the mention by Josephus and the establishment of various contemporaneous Jesus "cults" in the region by enthusiastic followers are more persuasive than the denials of his ever existing.

But an important thing that doesn't seem to get discussed much (I think, but I've steered clear of "church society" talk for decades after my years-long involvement therein) is simply that Jesus lived and died as a Jew. He didn't start the thing called Christianity. He apparently was considered to be a rabbi who had a cult formed around him in various towns in the region that became minor forms of Judaism.

It wasn't until Paul entered the picture years later that it became something much different. That is the seed of the movement that has grown and divided and fought itself & others and mutated over millennia into the approximately 45,000 different versions of "the true faith" that exist today. Politics has had a major influence on shaping it every step of the way, starting with the Roman military officer Paul who organized it in the latter first century despite never seeing or hearing Jesus himself. Then Emperor Constantine, Luther's princely backers from the city-state movement, the Council of Trent, etc...

I think the question of Jesus' existence is more than probable, but we can argue about the supernatural validity of churches or divinely revealed books.

The basic takeaway from all these posts is that given what we now know about the legend of Jesus historians will give way on the fact that someone upon which the Jesus of the gospels was based probably lived though we have no historic record of who or what it was. Historians basically just make the leap that if Christianity appeared it must have been based on someone. That's all they know.

You have to know if you study the matter that the Josephus reference was so tampered with by Roman Catholic churchmen and scribes that anything Josephus said about Jesus is worthless.

"The Josephus Testimonium: Let’s Just Admit It’s Fake Already"

https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/7437

Bottom line: Jesus of the gospels was an invented character by various Christian churchmen with an agenda to make their religion the most powerful in the then-known world. Constantine was most certainly in on the con for political purposes.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:03 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It is simply astonishing to me that people living in the 21st Century can still believe in and profess these Bronze Age superstitions from 2000 years ago. 21 centuries of advancements in knowledge and technology have done nothing to loosen the hold these myths and old wives tales exert otherwise modern minds.
As Spock would say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6MkESn1v1w
I am no less astonished, Thrill. What seems most disturbing is that it was deliberate ostensibly as a sign of faith in God! The concept of heresy virtually assured it! Definitely "Fascinating!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality