Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 08:23 AM

18,270 posts, read 17,091,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Oh, stop it, phet. By your thinking, God should have given people cell phones...back in 4 b.c.

If people didn't like slavery, why didn't they end it on their own? WITHOUT God?

Ever occur to you that slavery happened because we DIDN'T have God in our lives back then?

Exactly! You said the key words, Mink: WITHOUT GOD! People don't need God to get things done. He's a useless archaic fixture that Stone-Age people needed to believe in because of their primitive beliefs of how nature operates. Today we know how nature operates so God becomes an ancient relic that can be tossed.
To paraphrase Paul:

"I can do ALL things through my own power which strengthens me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 08:28 AM

51,625 posts, read 24,952,277 times
Quote:
Oh, stop it, phet. By your thinking, God should have given people cell phones...back in 4 b.c.

If people didn't like slavery, why didn't they end it on their own? WITHOUT God?

Ever occur to you that slavery happened because we DIDN'T have God in our lives back then?
Cell phones are hardly comparable to centuries of suffering due to slavery.

Ever occur to you that slaves couldn't end their slavery? God could have. He chose not to act. Millions were killed, beaten, starved, etc.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Seriously?! Can YOU?

Sorry phet, but I don't have such a negative attitude about LIFE in general. I get that SOME people are crappy. And SOME are not.

In your 70+ years, haven't YOU figured that out yet?
You always sound just like Jesus. Not.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Thrillobyte - So why exactly are so you anti-Christianity? It had to be one big event to have you repeatedly thrashing it.

It's like me asking you "Gal, Why are you so anti-child abuse" Can't you see, Gal that Christianity abuses people?

Old 01-10-2023, 09:12 AM

7,615 posts, read 4,352,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's like me asking you "Gal, Why are you so anti-child abuse" Can't you see, Gal that Christianity abuses people?
I'm not making discussions threads.

It had to be a big event/abuse for you to frame a discussion around it.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:14 AM

4,659 posts, read 1,842,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Cell phones are hardly comparable to centuries of suffering due to slavery.

Ever occur to you that slaves couldn't end their slavery? God could have. He chose not to act. Millions were killed, beaten, starved, etc.
Interesting how you skipped over the slave owners. You went right from the slave to God. Slave owners could have ended slavery. Right?

Do ya think those slave owners actually read their bible and UNDERSTOOD it?

Nope.

If they DID get it, NO ONE would own slaves.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Exactly! You said the key words, Mink: WITHOUT GOD! People don't need God to get things done. He's a useless archaic fixture that Stone-Age people needed to believe in because of their primitive beliefs of how nature operates. Today we know how nature operates so God becomes an ancient relic that can be tossed.
To paraphrase Paul:

"I can do ALL things through my own power which strengthens me."
Oh, o.k. So, people who don't have God in their lives no longer have slaves...or murder...or rape...or steal...or lie.......right?

Interesting that you claim how people are leaving Christianity in droves, AND, on the other hand, how BAD this world is.

Ever think that one MIGHT have to do with the other?

Old 01-10-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Interesting how you skipped over the slave owners. You went right from the slave to God. Slave owners could have ended slavery. Right?

Do ya think those slave owners actually read their bible and UNDERSTOOD it?

Nope.

If they DID get it, NO ONE would own slaves.
And do you realize the position that the dominant christian sect in the American South had toward slavery? Do you realize that a century later that sect FINALLY apologized for their attitude toward slavery. A little too late for tens of thousands of slaves. Many of those slave owners went to christian churches that upheld their belief in slavery. Gee, maybe god should have had a little chat with them.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And do you realize the position that the dominant christian sect in the American South had toward slavery? Do you realize that a century later that sect FINALLY apologized for their attitude toward slavery. A little too late for tens of thousands of slaves. Many of those slave owners went to christian churches that upheld their belief in slavery. Gee, maybe god should have had a little chat with them.
God did. They didn't listen.

They were just like you, phet. Reading their bibles and not getting it.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Oh, o.k. So, people who don't have God in their lives no longer have slaves...or murder...or rape...or steal...or lie.......right?

Interesting that you claim how people are leaving Christianity in droves, AND, on the other hand, how BAD this world is.

Ever think that one MIGHT have to do with the other?

I have no idea where the correlation in the bold above comes from. I'm saying I don't need God to get stuff done because I cannot rely on God to help me at all. He's useless. If I want something done I have to do it myself or it doesn't get done. If I don't have the ability to get it done then as well it doesn't get done. But in either case I don't call upon God for help because it's a pointless gesture. That's all I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality