Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2023, 02:13 PM

22,626 posts, read 19,339,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So here we go again. Another of Tzap's extended cross-examinations.
What have I said about Buddhism?
That's it's the only true religion? NEVER
That everyone should become Buddhist? NEVER
That it's the right religion? NEVER
That it fits me best. YES
What have I said about reincarnation?
That it's possible, but is something that has never been proven.
What have I said about past lives?
That I believe in it, but that I can't provide any proof of the concept.
What have I said about the 28 (or more, or less) that have existed in the past?
That I am very skeptical since there is barely enough concrete evidence to even prove that Siddhartha was 'the Buddha'.
What have I said about Jesus?
That he probably existed, but without all the magic.
What have I said about woo?
That a little woo is fine, but that the problem comes when some posters (gee I wonder who that might be) always turn to woo FIRST and foremost.
If you can't figure out the answer to your question after all that, then you can't think at all.
If you think you're going to tie me down to one of your seemingly endless cross-examinations, you're going to be sadly mistaken.

it is a reasonable question if someone says that posters on CD fall into two types, it is reasonable to ask which type then the person is who created the two categories. that is not cross-examination. it is a simple reasonable question, in direct response to a statement made on a public forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 02:41 PM

51,033 posts, read 24,537,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is a reasonable question if someone says that posters on CD fall into two types, it is reasonable to ask which type then the person is who created the two categories. that is not cross-examination. it is a simple reasonable question, in direct response to a statement made on a public forum.
Yes, but we all know how you have cross-examined Learnme. I'm not Learnme.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:10 PM

16,109 posts, read 7,111,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
The source of the confirmation bias is often brain priming. Who primed the person's brain to write the story the way the did? Do you know if any of this comes from you?
I don't quite understand your last question, may be you can clarify?.
Conditioning our mind is internal work. We tend to superimpose our state of emotions, hurts, experiences, belief and disbelief, on to the world outside us. We see the world as a world of pain, because we are suffering..

The world is neither pain nor pleasure. It simply is what it is.

If we see it as a world of low-information people doing bad things, it is us, in our internal world, who see it that way. It is not the reality of how the world is.
If we are content with our life and feel generous - the world too would appear that way. But it is still what it is.
So the real priming, as you call it, happens internally. Whatever delusions, or confirmation bias, we are under, it is up to us to remove them, and replace it with awareness.
Dogs can be trained to respond to stimulus like Pavlov's dog. Unlike dogs we have the capability to control our reflexive thinking and behavior by being aware of it.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I don't quite understand your last question, may be you can clarify?.
Conditioning our mind is internal work. We tend to superimpose our state of emotions, hurts, experiences, belief and disbelief, on to the world outside us. We see the world as a world of pain, because we are suffering..

The world is neither pain nor pleasure. It simply is what it is.

If we see it as a world of low-information people doing bad things, it is us, in our internal world, who see it that way. It is not the reality of how the world is.
If we are content with our life and feel generous - the world too would appear that way. But it is still what it is.
So the real priming, as you call it, happens internally. Whatever delusions, or confirmation bias, we are under, it is up to us to remove them, and replace it with awareness.
Dogs can be trained to respond to stimulus like Pavlov's dog. Unlike dogs we have the capability to control our reflexive thinking and behavior by being aware of it.
yes. that is an excellent and apt description.
how a person sees, views, interprets, describes anything out there,
is entirely a product of a person's own internal state.

we see (describe, view, interpret) the outer world, entirely through the lens of our own internal thoughts, emotions, feelings, beliefs.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:

we see (describe, view, interpret) the outer world, entirely through the lens of our own internal thoughts, emotions, feelings, beliefs.
Yes. Per advaita vedanta we create our own world every morning when we wake up, and become our ego, our corporeal body. In deep sleep we are entirely dissolved into Brahman, our true self, absent of thoughts, ego, body, in bliss of Oneness. Every single being experiences the presence of this bliss in deep sleep.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:25 PM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
and the post above, is which type?
A type One would not even consider the existence of type Two, so it is obviously a type One post.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:

ALL of which are thoroughly CONDITIONED by our experience in this physical existence which is NOT illusionary. To believe it is illusion is to dismiss the very existence of YOURSELF (which the rishis did get WRONG as do the neuroscientists, IMO).

Old 02-12-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
ALL of which are thoroughly CONDITIONED by our experience in this physical existence which is NOT illusionary. To believe it is illusion is to dismiss the very existence of YOURSELF (which the rishis did get WRONG as do the neuroscientists, IMO).
Quote, reference, please. If you are alluding to Maya, that is more than mere illusion. The world is not the illusion, the illusion is in your mind.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
when you are having a dream it seems very very real.
when you wake up you realize, oh it was just a dream.

same for physical reality.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Quote, reference, please. If you are alluding to Maya, that is more than mere illusion. The world is not the illusion, the illusion is in your mind.
You refer to separate things that are not different without seeming to see why they cannot BE separate. YOU and your MIND are the same since to see an illusion requires that YOU exist as the entity that sees it. I realize WHY you have this perspective, which is the part that is wrong with the literature, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality