Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2023, 06:33 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times

Advertisements

I want to insert one of my life lessons here. I picked it up when I started abusing alcohol, got hooked, then had to dig myself out while firing on one cylinder.

Look for the commonalities. Ignore the differences as part of their story. People who didn't do that in recovery had difficulty making it. A person has to be able to connect to heal. That person cannot click if they are under the belief that they are an outsider and the things that apply to others do not apply to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 08:28 AM

22,239 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Believe it or not, IRL I do that very thing, Tzaph. Here, I feel compelled to try to change the despicable things by correcting the bogus rationales for them. It is an obligation in my mind because I was blessed with the encounter due to no merit or worthiness on my part. It is paying it forward as is my prayer warrior group IRL.
calling that which you disagree with despicable and bogus does not bring merit or blessing or favor to anyone. no one is ever "obligated" to castigate others. Nor does it "correct" anything to do so.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-08-2023 at 09:07 AM..

Old 02-08-2023, 09:42 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
In my case, it has everything to do with Jesus as THE representative of the God I encountered. I would still be an atheist if I had to believe the things the dominant religions believe about God. The God I encountered would NEVER countenance many of the despicable things people in the dominant religions THINK God wants from us and will do to us if we don't believe the right things.
So, your encounter with Jesus as a representative of G-d was your personal experience and changed your life. Others have had their own encounters with G-d in many forms that are equally valid. They also don't involve Jesus. The omnipotent creator of the universe obviously has many forms and paths through which we can access Him. You found one; let others find theirs without disparaging them as "despicable".

Old 02-08-2023, 10:32 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You may very well consider yourself blessed. But you are also indulging in the messiah complex. That is not real, it is simply your ego. You forget we are all blessed, every one. We only need to recognize it and one has to know that to recognize that. You cannot do that for anyone, we all need to do it ourself. You cannot teach someone what they are not ready for. Please take Tzaph’s excellent counsel and be at peace. Stop proselytizing.
Ouch!

As if Mystic is alone with regard to suggesting anyone knows better than the next. Is more aware or in tune with oneness over others. Better connected with ancient wisdom, spirituality and any of the rest. "Tzaph's excellent counsel?"

Such a hoot!

Here's another little bit of advice perhaps everyone should better consider. I'm paraphrasing here...

"Don't throw stones in glass houses and let only the innocent toss the first one."

Or something like that...

Old 02-08-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
calling that which you disagree with despicable and bogus does not bring merit or blessing or favor to anyone. no one is ever "obligated" to castigate others. Nor does it "correct" anything to do so.
Before you continue to beat Mystic to a pulp any further, I think you might be misunderstanding what Mystic finds despicable more than just a bit. If it's light over darkness you think you are promoting, I'd suggest a little of giving the benefit of the doubt, because although I don't well line up with any of your thinking, at least I better understand what Mystic often laments about how we humans tend to go off the rails with our versions of what God is, wants or requires. Too often simply because "it is written." Much of which is more like Mystic describes even though not always agreeable for those married to alternative religious dogma.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:11 AM

15,983 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ouch!

As if Mystic is alone with regard to suggesting anyone knows better than the next. Is more aware or in tune with oneness over others. Better connected with ancient wisdom, spirituality and any of the rest. "Tzaph's excellent counsel?"

Such a hoot!

Here's another little bit of advice perhaps everyone should better consider. I'm paraphrasing here...

"Don't throw stones in glass houses and let only the innocent toss the first one."

Or something like that...
You are entitled to your opinion. I find Tzaph's contributions to this forum, and her way of communicating it, lifts the level of discourse here several notches and I will say that as many times as is needed.
I have no doubt that there is quite a bit of sexism rampant in the kind of responses she gets from some. I believe Mystic actually respects her thoughts and posts. He may have his ways of communicating his thoughts, but his contributions are equally valuable, food for thought for those who think.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion. I find Tzaph's contributions to this forum, and her way of communicating it, lifts the level of discourse here several notches and I will say that as many times as is needed.
I have no doubt that there is quite a bit of sexism rampant in the kind of responses she gets from some. I believe Mystic actually respects her thoughts and posts. He may have his ways of communicating his thoughts, but his contributions are equally valuable, food for thought for those who think.
Tzaph was not so much the focus of my comment, the gist of which you seem to be ignoring, but that aside, it's hard to read so many of Tzap's comments and also your praise. You are entitled to your opinion too of course. I've read enough of your comments to expect no different from you.

All contributions are what they are in any case and all a matter of opinion. For all of us to judge as we will, as always. As of most recently anyway, I've found the "confusion" about Mystic's comments and/or intentions not as "dark" as some of the criticisms. That's more what I was getting at, and I'll just leave it at that as I sign off now.

May more light shine on all of us going forward...

Old 02-08-2023, 01:03 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
You may very well consider yourself blessed. But you are also indulging in the messiah complex. That is not real, it is simply your ego. You forget we are all blessed, every one. We only need to recognize it and one has to know that to recognize that. You cannot do that for anyone, we all need to do it ourself. You cannot teach someone what they are not ready for. Please take Tzaph’s excellent counsel and be at peace. Stop proselytizing.
Oh...so we shouldn't respect another person's belief system. Hmmmm.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:15 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Let us be absolutely clear, Tzaph. What I disagree with has nothing to do with what is or is not "despicable." Despicable is a valid characterization without regard to my beliefs or opinions about it. What is despicable is just despicable, period! Any pretense that it is entirely subjective is itself bogus!!! Trying to justify it by attributing it to what God wants from us is just unsupportable. As Jesus accurately said, "We know not what we do" when it comes to God so we have no business imposing any of our beliefs on others, period.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:31 PM

22,239 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Let us be absolutely clear, Tzaph. What I disagree with has nothing to do with what is or is not "despicable." Despicable is a valid characterization without regard to my beliefs or opinions about it. What is despicable is just despicable, period! Any pretense that it is entirely subjective is itself bogus!!! Trying to justify it by attributing it to what God wants from us is just unsupportable. As Jesus accurately said, "We know not what we do" when it comes to God so we have no business imposing any of our beliefs on others, period.
you have your opinion about what is despicable. that is purely your opinion view belief.
no it is not set in stone and it varies from person to person. it is purely and entirely subjective. same for "bogus."

and i agree no one has any right to impose their beliefs on others. can you see you are doing just that when you feel compelled and "obligated" to "correct" others and castigate others for beliefs which you may disagree with ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality