Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2023, 03:28 AM

16,814 posts, read 5,020,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. I find Tzaph's contributions to this forum, and her way of communicating it, lifts the level of discourse here several notches and I will say that as many times as is needed.
I have no doubt that there is quite a bit of sexism rampant in the kind of responses she gets from some. I believe Mystic actually respects her thoughts and posts. He may have his ways of communicating his thoughts, but his contributions are equally valuable, food for thought for those who think.
Or we are not sexist idiots, but recognize when others are frequently wrong. Perhaps you should reflect on why you need to frequently sneak ad hominems in to your posts, it hints that you are not happy or secure on your particular spiritual path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 04:58 AM

7,602 posts, read 4,179,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's been ten years since I left Jesus. I have a temper in my old age, not against other people but against myself when I do stupid things like spilling coffee on the floor. I swear up a storm using the names Jesus and God in every conceivable blasphemous combination you can imagine. Nothing happens to me. A bolt of lightning doesn't come down and strike me.
Ha. I did the opposite. I promised never to blame God for anything nor give him credit for anything. So if a lightning bolt did come down and strike me, I have nothing to blame but mother nature (and myself for not taking cover during an electrical storm). Jesus rarely entered my mind because, in my parish, he was the nice guy. God was the one to be feared.

Leaving Christianity just increased my confidence that my competency in dealing with life can be improved and I don't have to be so hard on myself.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:10 AM

15,897 posts, read 6,363,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
In general, I don't like words that don't have a syllable in the middle or end so I don't use "woo". LOL.

It sounds like you were surrounded by extremists. The Christians I grew up with were very opinionated but made it a point to avoid very strong emotions like hate and despising.
Yeah, they were all in love with a narcissistic God. Their love for God was based on what prize God would give them. They isolated kids so we couldn't tell the difference.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:12 AM

15,897 posts, read 6,363,965 times
Quote:
It is a deliberate action to search and find find confirmation of one”s bias. That is NOT what I am talking about. You may see it that way because you are conditioned to believe in confirmation bias. As you just did.
I think i have explained conditional belief well enough for those who have understood it. They two seem similar to you but they are not the same.
The source of the confirmation bias is often brain priming. Who primed the person's brain to write the story the way the did? Do you know if any of this comes from you?

Old 02-11-2023, 10:51 AM

29,556 posts, read 9,768,374 times
Quote:
It is a deliberate action to search and find find confirmation of one”s bias. That is NOT what I am talking about. You may see it that way because you are conditioned to believe in confirmation bias. As you just did.
I think i have explained conditional belief well enough for those who have understood it. They two seem similar to you but they are not the same.
Sorry CB, but you dont' seem to understand a good deal about confirmation bias...

Confirmation bias does not at all necessarily involve a "deliberate action." It can be a deliberate action in the worst of cases, but in fact, the most common results of CB happens without anyone even realizing it. We can choose to read one thing or another as a result of CB, without even thinking about it. We can choose to "tune in" to one input or another as a result of our "conditioning" as you put it. AKA confirmation bias. All you wrote about conditioning describes confirmation bias as well. In fact the problem with confirmation bias is that it affects all of us in ways most people are NOT aware, let alone that people intend.

Unless your conditioning doesn't allow you or keeps you from being interested, you might do well to study what CB actually is. How it works. Why it works the way it does, and if you do so, I think you would better recognize the parallels between what you describe as conditioning and what ultimately results in confirmation bias to one extent or another. Visit the thread I started about CB, and maybe you'll see it involves more than just the one definition you have latched onto. There's this one too for example (provided by someone else who posted a comment in that thread); "Confirmation bias is the tendency of people to favor information that confirms their existing beliefs or hypotheses. Confirmation bias happens when a person gives more weight to evidence that confirms their beliefs and undervalues evidence that could disprove it."

Nothing to be defensive about in any case. It's a very common human dynamic that is better to simply recognize such as it is rather than look the other way.

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-11-2023 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-11-2023, 11:09 AM

50,983 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sorry CB, but you dont' seem to understand a good deal about confirmation bias...

Confirmation bias does not at all necessarily involve a "deliberate action." It can be a deliberate action in the worst of cases, but in fact, the most common results of CB happens without anyone even realizing it. We can choose to read one thing or another as a result of CB, without even thinking about it. We can choose to "tune in" to one input or another as a result of our "conditioning" as you put it. AKA confirmation bias. All you wrote about conditioning describes confirmation bias as well. In fact the problem with confirmation bias is that it affects all of us in ways most people are NOT aware, let alone that people intend.

Unless your conditioning doesn't allow you or keeps you from being interested, you might do well to study what CB actually is. How it works. Why it works the way it does, and if you do so, I think you would better recognize the parallels between what you describe as conditioning and what ultimately results in confirmation bias to one extent or another. Visit the thread I started about CB, and maybe you'll see it involves more than just the one definition you have latched onto. There's this one too for example (provided by someone else who posted a comment in that thread); "Confirmation bias is the tendency of people to favor information that confirms their existing beliefs or hypotheses. Confirmation bias happens when a person gives more weight to evidence that confirms their beliefs and undervalues evidence that could disprove it."

Nothing to be defensive about in any case. It's a very common human dynamic that is better to simply recognize such as it is rather than look the other way.
This is over-simplifying it...but to a degree there are two types of posters in this forum:

Type 1: Posts their beliefs and basically says, 'And I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong'.
Type 2: Posts their beliefs and basically says, "At least that's what I think is right, but I may be wrong'.

Sadly, it's those who see themselves as most spiritual that tend to make up the type ones.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:30 AM

22,487 posts, read 19,304,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is over-simplifying it...but to a degree there are two types of posters in this forum:

Type 1: Posts their beliefs and basically says, 'And I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong'.
Type 2: Posts their beliefs and basically says, "At least that's what I think is right, but I may be wrong'.

Sadly, it's those who see themselves as most spiritual that tend to make up the type ones.
and the post above, is which type?

Old 02-11-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It's my opinion. Just as I have an opinion about which group any particular poster is in.

Old 02-11-2023, 01:56 PM

22,487 posts, read 19,304,533 times
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
It's my opinion. Just as I have an opinion about which group any particular poster is in.
you say posters fall into two types. those are categories you yourself have created. so then since this is your own system of categorizing, then which group do you place yourself in?

and if when asked you state "that's your opinion" then wouldn't that be a category also for other people posting to belong to as well, that they are stating their opinion? if there are two types of posters, then in which group do you place yourself?

Old 02-11-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
you say posters fall into two types. those are categories you yourself have created. so then since this is your own system of categorizing, then which group do you place yourself in?

and if when asked you state "that's your opinion" then wouldn't that be a category also for other people posting to belong to as well, that they are stating their opinion? if there are two types of posters, then in which group do you place yourself?
So here we go again. Another of Tzap's extended cross-examinations.

What have I said about Buddhism?
That's it's the only true religion? NEVER
That everyone should become Buddhist? NEVER
That it's the right religion? NEVER
That it fits me best. YES

What have I said about reincarnation?
That it's possible, but is something that has never been proven.

What have I said about past lives?
That I believe in it, but that I can't provide any proof of the concept.

What have I said about the 28 (or more, or less) that have existed in the past?
That I am very skeptical since there is barely enough concrete evidence to even prove that Siddhartha was 'the Buddha'.

What have I said about Jesus?
That he probably existed, but without all the magic.

What have I said about woo?
That a little woo is fine, but that the problem comes when some posters (gee I wonder who that might be) always turn to woo FIRST and foremost.

If you can't figure out the answer to your question after all that, then you can't think at all.

If you think you're going to tie me down to one of your seemingly endless cross-examinations, you're going to be sadly mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality